1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Garrett System

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Blitzen32, Feb 1, 2013.

1. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    idk

I think the absolute worst place to be in sports is in the middle. Ultimately you're in the same boat as the Jags, Chiefs and Ravens, only you're stuck in the middle of the draft hoping your team doesn't draft the next Bobby Carpenter or Felix Jones.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,959 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Might have. I decided not to.

But I don't consider it insulting for me to tell him to his face that I think he's trying to bait the community and that I don't think he's sincere. It's my honest take, and I want him to know why I'm choosing not to engage with him if he quotes me so it's not lost in a gray area of bad arguments and stretched truth otherwise.

He's a big boy, he can handle my honest opinion. That's what message boards are for, right? That and all the funny hashtag-jokes.
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,959 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Not everybody has to like each other, Bitzen. They just should try to be civil.

I don't take a lot of pride in message board posts, because they're anonymous. Sometimes I might crack myself up, but that's pretty rare. Thanks for asking.

I just don't want to engage when I don't think the other guy is sincere. I'm sure you can understand that. At the same time, you've got the right to post whatever opinions you care to share as long as you stay within the guidelines, which you more or less do. So, knock yourself out.
  4. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,509 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    I never said teams build a team around getting hot in the playoffs. I said teams that win the Super Bowl in recent years tend to be teams that get hot in the playoffs. Denver beat the Ravens 34-17 AT Baltimore, then lost to a hot Ravens team in the playoffs at Denver. The Redskins beat the Ravens and the Cowboys almost beat the Ravens.

You cannot say that the Ravens team that played in Denver, New England and last night in the Super Bowl were the same team the Cowboys played. The Ravens got hot and had the Cowboys played the Ravens in the last 2-3 weeks, I doubt very seriously you would have seen a close game. The Giants got hot last year in the post-season and surprised the 49ers and Patriots. That's just the way it is lately.

/reality
  5. Reality

11,509 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    Part of me agrees with you, but I still cannot get those nightmare Campo years out of my head. I had very little optimism during his head coaching reign and while I am not completely happy with the team right now, I never ever want to go through the Campo years again.

/reality
  6. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think it's a bit more complicated than just "getting hot" for a stretch. These past couple SB winners

1) have been extremely well-coached.
    2) have dominated the game in the trenches
    3) have gotten enough from their QBs to put them over the top.

For every Giants and Ravens squad out there, you also see 4-5 other teams from each conference who are brutally exposed in January.

It's not just about getting into the dance like Jerry wants the fans to believe.
  7. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,756 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    Have you ever heard of "any given Sunday"? Teams do get on a roll once they get into the playoffs.

For one thing, a playoff team does not have to concentrate on the long season and have the advantage to game plan for only the teams coming up that they will play to get to the SB.

So, yeah, who knows what a team will do even if they suck at some games during the season...once they get to "the dance" they have a better chance of playing good football.
  8. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Sunday is not plural there.

It take more than that (the things I mentioned for example) if you're going on a series of wins.
  9. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

25,756 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    :confused:

The Pats went 16-0 during a season, and they lost the SB! I think that was played on Sunday. Or was it a Tuesday?
  10. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,277 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    Teams that get hot during the playoffs do well? I bet that trend has existed more than recently

What teams tend to get hot? Those with talent and coaching. No matter how you try to slice it, those are the teams more likely to win.

Dallas isn't as strong as those playoff teams in talent or coaching
  11. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,320 Messages
    2,730 Likes Received
    Please debate content and there is no need for being insulting either.
  12. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Garrett gives us the best chance of winning because of the two idiots above him. Name one coach that would come here and do better? I doubt either Harbaugh would have come here.

17 years, 6 HC's and 1 playoff win. It can't all be on the coach. It's hard to win a fight, with one hand tied behind your back and that's what happens to all the coaches that come to Dallas or will come to Dallas.
  13. Reality

11,509 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    I never said Dallas was as strong as the playoff teams. In fact, I said that the Ravens team that Dallas almost beat earlier this year would have easily beaten the Cowboys had they played in the last 2-3 weeks.

I understand you have your hate agenda to push, but my comments were not tied to a love/hate agenda. I simply stated a fact that the best teams rarely win the Super Bowl in recent years. It usually is the team that gets hot once they get into the playoffs. Now perhaps they were awesome teams and just underachieved all season. That is quite possible, but the best two AFC teams over the season were the Broncos and Patriots. The hot team in the playoffs was the Ravens and they went on to win the Super Bowl.

The Giants last year were not the best NFC team, yet they won the Super Bowl. The Patriots were 18-0 several years ago, but ran into a 9-7 regular season Giants team that got hot in the playoffs and lost.

/reality
  14. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Seeing how Jimmy Johnson and BP did come here and certainly did do better, I know it's possible to win under the current GM and ownership structure.

In fact, I appreciate that Jerry's wallet is always open for the right player. That's a great quality in an owner. It's why many players openly adore Jerry. He makes people rich.

It's imperative to have a strong coach here so that players don't think they can skip over him and just run straight to JJ. It also would be nice to have a type #1 coach here. Garrett is neither.

Coaches like Parcells, Fox and Harbaugh can plug in QBs like Romo, Tebow or Kaep, and still have their teams playing well without missing a beat. That's an example (among many) of a type #1 coach, and it's what I want to see here in Dallas.
  15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,587 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    The Ravens have a Front office structure that is logical, supportive and effective. That allows the Head Coach to function as he needs to. Thus, when that team was struggling this year and fundamental changes needed to be made mid-season, the team responded to its head coach.

When the tragic thing happened this year to Dallas, Jason took charge like a man should. The team responded to him in that role, its how we are built to be. Later on, when the same old circus started again, you see why they tune him out.

Dallas lacks the authority of the head coach to run the team. Its been that way for years and it will get you .500 football.
  16. Reality

11,509 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    Okay, this thread has gone on long enough ..

Let me make this easy on everyone ...

Haters say, "Jerry sucks! Garrett sucks! We'll never win anything! Other teams are awesome, we suck because we are not them! blah blah blah"

Homers say, "Jerry's great! Garrett's process and the RKGs will win us a Super Bowl! All you haters are not real fans! Next year is our year! blah blah blah"

.. and after all of the rahrah'ing and boohoo'ing is done, Jerry is still the owner and GM and Garrett is still the head coach. Like it or hate it, that's the way it is.

/reality