1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Greatest Rivalry in the NFL...

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Sonny#9, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Sonny#9

Sonny#9 Well-Known Member

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    From the Cowboys "blackmailing" the Redskins to get into the league...
    To the Skins going through Dallas the 1st time en route to the Super Bowl
    To Clint ******* LongleyTo
    To Harvey Martin's Funeral Wreath
    To the Skins going through Dallas the 2nd time en route to the Super Bowl
    To Theisman's Birthday Party
    To the Skins Scabs beating most of the Cowboy's starters
    To 1-15 1989 Dallas Cowboys...guess who the one win was?
    To the snapping the Skins 11 game win streak
    To the 6-10 Skins sweeping the eventual champion Cowboys behind Health Freakin' Shuler
    To Matt "What's Play Action?" Stevens
    To Who the **** is Patick Crayton?! (and the 10 games just ******* like it)
    To The Monday Night Miracle and 35-7
    To Nick ******* Novak
    To The Death of Sean Taylor and what this site did for him.
    To Zorn's complete ineptitude
    To Tashard Choice fighting for that...one...extra...yard seconds before halftime and Alex Barron having no choice but to hold on for dear life...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spIuA1GgfDE
  2. Califan007

Califan007 Well-Known Member

1,219 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Here, here *nod*...I've lived damn near 40 years of experiencing this rivalry, and I can't think of another one that even comes close.
  3. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

5,057 Messages
    286 Likes Received
    your sig is too funny :laugh2:
  4. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,339 Messages
    957 Likes Received
    Here's hoping for a great game, excitement, and a Cowboys victory!!

:beer2:
  5. Sonny#9

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    And I hope for two out of those three! :)
  6. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,545 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    You never were one for excitement.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,739 Messages
    2,411 Likes Received
    I like that post. I like it a lot. So many things we could add to that list too.
  8. FloridaRob

FloridaRob Active Member

1,430 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    thought I was opening a thread about the Packers and the Bears. Now that is hate and respect at its best.
  9. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,850 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    God love ya, Rob... that is a great rivalry, but what is more time enduring than Cowboys vs. Indians... ;)

Glad you're still around supporting your second favorite team, though!
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,459 Messages
    8,349 Likes Received
    It's not nearly like it used to be. All the losing the two teams have been doing for years has watered down the rivalry.

I'd love an epic Redskins/Cowboys NFC Championship game.
  11. Sonny#9

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    With Brian Orakpo and Barry Cofield playing the roles of Dexter Manley and Darryl Grant respectively :)

I do agree -- the level of hatred just isn't there. You'd never have Demarcus Ware busting into the Redskins locker room, throwing in a funeral wreath. Dexter Manley's hit on Danny White would be 15 yrd penalty and a $50K fine now.

Riggins would definitely be facing a year suspension for god knows what...

The rivalry is much more between the fans nowadays. Although Stephen Bowen was "exorcise" by Mike Sellers and Lorenzo Alexander when he signed with the Skins this offseason :)
  12. Sonny#9

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Yeah -- if I included all the crazy **** that happened in this rivalry, it would have taken me all day :)

Here's to another great chapter! God I am excited and nervous for Monday Night!

Injuries or not, in Dallas on Monday Night is NOT the Redskins forte...
  13. Sonny#9

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    This says it all:

This was in 1997. Randy White had retired from the NFL in 1988, May last played for the Redskins in 1990. 9 years later, the bad blood still fueled...
  14. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,049 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I was *at* that game. We took my grandfather to that game. That last touchdown, with Drew Pearson splitting a double team, was far better in the stadium than it ever will be on film (of course, the players looked as if they were 200 yards away, and binos were recommended then..).

D-

PS - Yes, a great rivalry!
  15. Sonny#9

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    It's games like this that make this so ****** great!

I was at the 22-19 Sean Taylor face mask game.

I can be extremely loud.

When Novak hit that field goal, I couldn't hear myself scream. It was the loudest I have ever heard FedEx (and that includes the lone playoff win over the Lions there...)
  16. Califan007

Califan007 Well-Known Member

1,219 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/redskins/longterm/1997/history/allart/dw1979b.htm

I wanted to punch a moose after that game lol :mad:

I also remember that some congressman wanted to hold hearings into that point differential crap lol...he thought something shady might have been going on. Yeah, that game left a mark. :mad:
  17. Sonny#9

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I am too young to remember that game (I was 3 at the time). My 1st Skins Memories are some of the best though: "We Want Dallas," signs in the rearview windows of cars saying "Honk if you Hate Dallas" (and it sounding like someone parked perpendicular across three lanes of traffic and was stadning flipping people off) and John Riggins plowing over poor little Don McNeal enroute to the end zone.

However, I still hate that worthless turd Matt Stevens. That game was a microcosm for the entire Norv Turner Era.
  18. SkinsHokieFan

SkinsHokieFan Well-Known Member

2,242 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    As a 4th grader, that loss in DC, when the Redskins were 11-0 and had a chance to clinch the division that day, killed me.

How did that hail mary before the half work? Why did the Redskins offense take so long to wake up that day? How did that D let Emmit run all over them?

When Martin Mayhew picked Aikman off for a pick 6, I figured it would be business as usual that day.

Now, for some reason, 4 years later I had no doubt before both games in '95 the Redskins would win. Probably due to my utter lack of respect for Barry Switzer, the fact that even though the Cowboys were the best team in the NFL that season you could see the fissures that would lead to the debacle of the decade plus.

Whatever it was, the morning of both games I just knew the Redskins would win.

The losing streak to the Gailey/Campo led Cowboys disgusted me. The 2 worst coaches in the history of the Dallas Cowboys and the Redskins managed 1 win in 10 tries. That 1 win being the very last game of the Campo era.

Since the "Monday night miracle," which was sweet justice since it was the triplets night, its been a back and forth. 2005 was a blast, but equally the 2006 Monday night game was dissapointing. In fact I came here and predicted a win for the Cowboys.

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63875

Novak making the kick in the 2nd game was a nice celebration in the midst of a horrid season.

2007, another split. 2008, split again. 2009, 2 very terrible games (the teams combined to score 30 points that year, the Cowboys 24 of them)

Looking forward to this game on Monday very much. There is nothing like MNF, Redskins-Cowboys
  19. Sonny#9

1,576 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    2009 was the worst year in the existence of the Redskins -- we didn't win an NFC East Game all year that year -- and frankly, I didn't care. I was so sick of Cerrato, Snyder, Zorn and the whole mess this franchise had become, I wanted losses. I wanted embarrassment. Enought to bring about the greatest day in Redskins history since January 27, 1992. That would be December 17, 2009: The "Resignation" of Vinny Cerrato!

It feels good to have this team competitive and on the right track again. I haven't been this amped up for a Dallas game in a VERY long time.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,042 Messages
    2,824 Likes Received
    [youtube]qNv_Xx9gpnw&feature[/youtube]