1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Last Cowboy: A Life of Tom Landry Book excerpts...Landry died a Giants fan?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 31, 2013.

1. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Active Member

951 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    Sounds like some NY propaganda to me.
  2. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Active Member

951 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    Jimmy pretty much fired himself. He was ready to move on. See "A Football life: Jimmy Johnson".
  3. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,644 Messages
    1,039 Likes Received
    I saw it. He was also pushed out faster than he would have I think. If the NFL had passed Landry by then what does it say about Jones? The only difference is that he's here to stay.
  4. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,754 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    I take nothing back about what I wrote, and feel entirely comfortable with it.

Tom Landry was a great man, and a great football coach, but he chose to hold a grudge and hold it until he passed away. His family apparently holds the same grudge. They are absolutely entitled, but it isn't a Christian thing to do. I don't think that can be denied.

Landry, at the end, was not entitled to the job for life. Jones, after buying the team, had every right to make a coaching change. What should have been done was to try and have Landry retire gracefully, but I don't think Landry was going to let that happen - he wanted to coach until HE said he was done. It was handled horribly, no question. Schramm and Bright deserve as much, if not more blame, for how it turned out. Jones did reach out to the Landry family on many occasions to have Tom be a part of some celebrations, and was largely rebuffed.

The Jim Dent book King Of The Cowboys: The Life and Times of Jerry Jones is a fascinating read about Jones' rise, and there is a good amount of time dedicated to how Jones acquired the Cowboys, and the changes he made. When he bought the team, they were losing $1 million per month. He redid the whole ticket scheme (PSLs and recalling season tickets from players and long time ticket holders), fired a number of Schramm loyalists and making a lot of changes to the luxury suites. He was ruthless with a lot of the changes, and many of them were not implemented in the best manner, but he turned the team into a money making monster.
    khiladi likes this.
  5. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,754 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    I agree with Landry's place in history, and the Cowboys certainly would not have been the Cowboys without him.

I also don't think anyone indicated that he should be remembered any differently than that.
    khiladi likes this.
  6. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,880 Messages
    3,927 Likes Received
    here's two posts I took from another site regarding the same topic. it's amazing how many have abandoned ship b/c of their disdain for jerry.

7. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    The Landry family aren't Jerry Jones fans....

http://********.com/tom-landrys-widow-says-tom-landry-died-a-giants-fan-1456827767

8. DallasCowboysRule!

DallasCowboysRule! Well-Known Member

1,609 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    That Hank Hill gif in the ******** comments is the best reply possible to this story
  9. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,059 Messages
    618 Likes Received
    Spot on. Landry will always be an icon or at least he should be. But his time had run it's course. I remember thinking back then that we'd just restock in the draft, move on and be back on top in no time. That's how confident I was that we could do it. That is, until I saw us roll out Hogenboom and Pelluer. I knew we were toast and a change had to be made.

But the one thing I believe is the story about the Landry family seats/box at the stadium. I truly believe Jerry wanted to get out of Landry's shadow and had no real appreciation for the history of the franchise. Me, I would have let the family have their seats and done so for free, at least until Landry passed on.
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,890 Messages
    625 Likes Received
    I agree with many on here who say he needed to be fired but the way it was done was the issue. Landry was still running the Flex. The game had passed him by. He got to a point where he was stubborn to a fault. I, for one, was glad he was fired and excited for a new beginning. I thought Jones just handled it badly and it looked classless. You can't keep people around just because of sentimental value. He is a legend and and will always be a legend for the Cowboy. It was time though. Not surprised his family feels this way though.
  11. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    Women, in particular, are very bitter and vindictive.
  12. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

3,603 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    He was a great coach, no doubt. But the time had come for him for him to leave.

The Cowboys probably don't win those 3 championships in the 1990s if Landry were coaching.
  13. Carolina Cowboy

Carolina Cowboy Active Member

358 Messages
    153 Likes Received
    That just sticks in my craw.
    Ratmatt likes this.
  14. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

884 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Bum Bright told Jerry Jones he would handle the Landry situation,and Jerry told him no he would take care of it.
  15. Ratmatt

Ratmatt Active Member

884 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Landry should have been fired.Jimmy Johnson was one of the best things that ever happened to this team.Taking away the Landry family suite,and barring Tom Jr. from buying season tickets is a little too much.
  16. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,996 Messages
    440 Likes Received
    Exactly!
  17. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,145 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Bart Hubbuch used to be a DMN reporter. I believe he was in Dallas when Jerry bought the team.
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  18. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,145 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    With all due respect to Alicia Landry, I am skeptical of this claim.

Everyone knows she is fiercely loyal to her "Tommy" and that she is no friend of Jones. But blocking Tom Jr. from buying season tickets? Does that make any sense to you? If the suite was free, I can maybe see that, but the rest sounds like sour grapes.

I just started reading the book, so I will reserve judgement until I finish it.
  19. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,145 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    No question as owner and GM one of the most important things Jerry did was actually run the Cowboys like a business!

That was one of Schramm's failings. Because he was spending someone else's money, he never felt like he had to be accountable for it. Of course the one area of expenses where Schramm was famously tight-fisted was player salaries.

Ironically, that doesn't seem to be a problem for the current GM.
  20. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,394 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    Rooting for one team or another has zero to do with morality, spirituality or ethics. Just stop w/the nonsense.

If anything you could make the argument that strong morals would put you in a position where you must oppose Jerry Jones. He is...let's be honest...more than a little sleazy.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.