1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Last Cowboy: A Life of Tom Landry

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by fgoodwin, Jul 30, 2013.

1. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,147 Messages
    13 Likes Received
  2. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,767 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    I read it. Overall, it was a pretty comprehensive bio, and seemed to capture the man that Landry was. The fact that both Alicia and Tom Jr. contributed to it likely had a lot to do with it.

The author, though, does a pretty thorough hatchet job on Jerry Jones, and it was borderline unfair when you consider the circumstances of when he bought the team.
  3. fgoodwin

fgoodwin Active Member

1,147 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Much has been made by the media (especially in NYC) about the claim that Landry "died a Giants fan". Having read the book, would you say that's a fair assessment, or is it taken out of context? I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read it (it's on my list) or I wouldn't have to ask.
  4. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,767 Messages
    514 Likes Received
    The assertion of this was made in the very first chapter of the book. It was low hanging fruit for the media to go after.

I don't think that there is any question that the Landry's do not have Jerry Jones on their Christmas card list. The way that Jones was characterized was a bit heavy handed and over the top. Schramm largely gets a pass in the book, and he was just as guilty for how badly the end was handled.