1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Man Who Killed Osama bin Laden... Is Screwed

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by joseephuss, Feb 11, 2013.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,460 Messages
    781 Likes Received
    Long article, but interesting

http://www.esquire.com/features/man-who-shot-osama-bin-laden-0313

The Man Who Killed Osama bin Laden... Is Screwed

For the first time, the Navy SEAL who killed Osama bin Laden tells his story — speaking not just about the raid and the three shots that changed history, but about the personal aftermath for himself and his family. And the startling failure of the United States government to help its most experienced and skilled warriors carry on with their lives.

The man who shot and killed Osama bin Laden sat in a wicker chair in my backyard, wondering how he was going to feed his wife and kids or pay for their medical care.

It was a mild spring day, April 2012, and our small group, including a few of his friends and family, was shielded from the sun by the patchwork shadows of maple trees. But the Shooter was sweating as he talked about his uncertain future, his plans to leave the Navy and SEAL Team 6.

He stood up several times with an apologetic gripe about the heat, leaving a perspiration stain on the seat-back cushion. He paced. I didn't know him well enough then to tell whether a glass of his favorite single malt, Lagavulin, was making him less or more edgy.

"The Shooter will discover soon enough that when he leaves after sixteen years in the Navy, his body filled with scar tissue, arthritis, tendonitis, eye damage, and blown disks, here is what he gets from his employer and a grateful nation:

"Nothing. No pension, no health care, and no protection for himself or his family.

Read more: Man Who Killed Osama Bin Laden - Treatment of Veteran Who Shot bin Laden - Esquire http://www.esquire.com/features/man-who-shot-osama-bin-laden-0313#ixzz2Kch8FI1O
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,339 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    I'll never understand why anyone ever had to know it was ST6 that got Bin-Laden. Our own government outed them...and I think it is why that very team got taken down later in combat.:eek::
    The shooter is really screwed.
    Oh well. We move on.
  3. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

2,886 Messages
    1,097 Likes Received
    and he'll most likely end up taking his own life like 21 other vets a day. Sad.
  4. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,078 Messages
    1,418 Likes Received
    That was an incredible read...thank for posting that.
  5. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'm only a little of the way into this but I just wanted to thank you for posting it...like above. It's depressing knowing this guy hasn't been taken care of yet. It's a disgrace actually.
  6. 5Stars

26,078 Messages
    1,418 Likes Received
    Read the whole thing...it is definitively worth the time. These are the best warriors out there.
  7. 5Stars

26,078 Messages
    1,418 Likes Received
    :confused:

What are you talking about? What have I missed?
  8. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,478 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
    Think he is referring to when ST6 was shot down in a chopper or something like that. Quite a few lost their lives but the team that went in for Bin Laden were not involved with that in any way.
  9. 5Stars

26,078 Messages
    1,418 Likes Received
    That makes sense, thanks for reminding me. I actually recall a little about that.
  10. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Oh I am!!!
  11. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,009 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    He was only four years from retirement. Don't get it.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Really pathetic that so many people do not realize just how high a price our soldiers pay.

Actually as bad as it sounds the suicide figure is not that high when you consider what they have been through.

And a ugly fact not publicized by the government is just how many are sent over seas on deployments on medication for mental problems.

Think about that: you have mental problems requiring medication and they send you to a war zone.

Then some wonder why there are suicides.
  13. 5Stars

26,078 Messages
    1,418 Likes Received
    That's what confused me too. But, maybe he needed to spend more time with his kids and wife. But, you would think the Navy could have offered him a desk job if he wanted to wait 4 more years.

Who knows what goes on in there minds...after what they have went through.
  14. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,478 Messages
    1,456 Likes Received
  15. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,127 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Someone should set up a website where people could contribute. The Navy (or someone reputable) could confirm he was the beneficiary without naming him, and then at least he wouldn't have to worry about money. I think a LOT of people would contribute.
  16. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's referring to Biden outing them.
  17. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,714 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    ...paper today there is a picture of a Canadian soldier who has served in Afghanistan and Bosnia ended his life even though he had returned to civilian work.

It was tragic as he was given leave from his job by the employer because he was having trouble with PTSD.

The best the community is able to do so far according to the article is hold a benefit concert with about a projected $1000.00 to donate to the wife and two young daughters.

It's a sad way to support our soldiers.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/health/Concert family PTSD victim/7946791/story.html
  18. Stryker44

Stryker44 Active Member

806 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    He doesn't get any cut of the proceeds from Zero Dark Thirty?
  19. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,337 Messages
    485 Likes Received
    That stuck out to me as well. Unless there is some reason not stated, seems like a bad move on his part.
  20. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,352 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    sounds like he tried to cash in and make money selling his expertise to the video game designers.