1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Modern NFL: anyone can win it all

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by EMMITTnROY, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,453 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    On a totally unrelated side note. Everyone who has the No Jerry Jones avatar now loos like the same poster. I understand that its some sort of solidarity thing goin on, but it just makes it look like one poster with no real personality to me. Kind of annoying and I tend to just glance over the post when I see that.

Maybe it's just me. Do what you want. Found it funny to see NO JJ 1 disagreeing with NO JJ 2 though.
  2. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,760 Messages
    1,045 Likes Received
    Well since this modern era NFL where anyone can supposedly win it all, we still only have 1 playoff win in 17 years or so. So I'm not buying it. There is a reason we are never in serious contention to win it all. Ever. Haven't been since 2007 and before that, when, 96 the year we lost to the Panthers?
  3. obidiah

obidiah New Member

26 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's right and only 3 teams have been represented the afc in the last 9 years. How is that parity.
  4. mgcowboy

mgcowboy Well-Known Member

1,413 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    This thread seems to be the thread of the drunk....

Flacco below mediocre QB
    and Romo top flight QB

:lmao2:

:cool:
  5. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Weren't 3 of the final 4 playing for the Super Bowl the same as last season?

In fact, I believe that over 50% of this season's playoff teams were there for the playoffs last season too.

Sure, it's tough to win the title (and almost impossible to repeat), but parity isn't as prevalent as you'd like to think.

Seems to be more of a crutch that fans of crappy teams use for comfort.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    I'm not even sure it can be used at that.

To me, if parity is as rampant as suggested yet you don't eventually get your 15 minutes of fame by rising to the top and multitudes of other teams have, you should have a serious problem with the state of your team not with the state of the league.
  7. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

2,042 Messages
    1,174 Likes Received
    I take parity in the NFL to mean.....at about weeks 14/15, how many teams still have a shot at the playoffs?

IMO, the four most important parts of an organization today are:
    (in no real order)

Ownership
    GM/football guy/ VP of football Ops...whatever his title is.
    Head Coach
    QB
  8. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,284 Messages
    2,469 Likes Received
    Too often do we confuse parity-driven with luck-driven. The fact that teams aren't able to stockpile talent like they did in the past does not mean winning a title is simply a matter of luck.
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Or just getting hot.

Look at the Ravens. They got hot.

Same with Giants last year.

Both QBs played their best ball of the season in the playoffs.

I don't think counting on your team to do the same is a rational way to approach or build a team.
  10. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Even beyond getting hot, a good starting point is to find an owner who's willing to go out and get a solid coach, and then get the heck out of the way. That equation seems to work very well for many teams.

Can anyone here even name the majority controlling owners of the two teams in the Super Bowl without looking it up on google?

I bet less than 25% of members here can do that.

Obviously JJ won't change, but it seems as though his way hasn't really worked in almost two decades. If he's busy copying successful franchises, he might want to start there.
  11. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,685 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    The Ravens had been to what 3 straight AFC Championships maybe 4? The Patriots have been to a ton of AFC Championship games this decade and the last. The 49ers were in last years NFC Championship game. The Falcons were the 1 seed. Not a good argument for this season. Joe Flacco for being an average regular season QB has had a good career in the playoffs since he came into the league.
  12. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,493 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    In the past 5 years, 9 different teams have made up the 10 NFC championship teams. That, my friends, is parity. Plain and simple.

Now, the AFC has been more stable. I'll admit that.
  13. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,694 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    This is what the league wanted and what almost every change in the past 20 years has been about. The league did not want dynasties and doormats any longer. They wanted the build the fan base of all the teams and to do so, you have to give those fans belief that this year will be different. You can call it parity, watered down, whatever but it is exactly what the league set out to do in the early 90's when they started free agency and the salary cap. They want a system where a 4-12 team can go 11-5 the next year, make the playoffs, and keep their fans happy and spending money.
  14. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,493 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    Yep, I agree. And I hate it, that's all I'm saying.