1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The New 1:00 Defense... 12 Men on the Field

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by CallMeCrazy, Feb 6, 2012.

1. CallMeCrazy

CallMeCrazy Member

60 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    With almost no time left in the game the Gnats were caught with 12 men on the field. The Pats ran a play which took time off the clock and really only gained 5 yards out of it. Yes it's a free play but with 12 men on defense, it's easier to stop the pass from being completed. Just the same way that Bradshaw could have sat on the 1-yard line to milk the clock instead of scoring the TD, it may have been a smart move by NY or it may have been a boneheaded mistake too.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,135 Messages
    1,314 Likes Received
    I think teams have always tried to sneak 12 players on the field and call out the offenses cadences in goal line situations.

Whats the worst that can happen? Ball moves up an inch?
  3. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,089 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    The completion before to Hernandez was the dagger...it was pointless. 10 yards isn't worth 10 seconds coming off the clock. Brady should've just thrown it away or Hernandez should've intentionally dropped it. Wouldn't have blamed him for not catching that.
  4. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,119 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    on mike and mike (ESPN) this AM, golic was saying the buddy ryan used to do this as a regular tactic in the waning minutes of the game if they needed to run time off the clock

it was a designed strategy for him, he said they sometimes got 13-15 players on the field

maybe it was by chance or maybe a designed strategy for the giants as well
  5. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,701 Messages
    405 Likes Received
    A rule change should result from this. If it's a replay of down, no time should run off. I can't fathom a reason why the clock should run off in the final minutes of the game in such a situation because of the opponent's penalty.
  6. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    IMO, inside of two minutes extra men on the field, offsides and defensive holding should all be a five yard penalty and any lost time should be put back on the clock.
  7. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,411 Messages
    1,749 Likes Received
    I agree. If its a penalty resulting in a replay of the down, then the time should be put back on the clock.

The 10 second runoff should go away as well, but if it's an offensive penalty, then they should not put time back on the clock as part of the penalty.

I'd support that.
  8. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    My thoughts exactly.
  9. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,467 Messages
    1,974 Likes Received
    Agree, I couldn't figure out why that time wasn't put back on the clock. I thought the officials had just blown the call... I didnt know the rule was written this way. (And why the hell is it that way, anyway.)
  10. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I thought this as well. In hindsight Brady should have just spiked the ball when he saw the flag.
  11. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Not sure what surprised me more, that time wasn't put back on the clock or that I didn't know the rule.:D

It's an interesting loophole and I wonder if the NFL will address it. You would think they'd already have something on the books to address this.
  12. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    Just another reason why Coughlin is awesome....hate to admit it but it's true.
  13. Tricericon

Tricericon Member

874 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Cheating = Awesome?
  14. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,646 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    Plus 4 :laugh2:bow:
  15. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,194 Messages
    559 Likes Received
    Why would he do that? You get a free Hail Mary attempt, which they had to run anyways, except if the NYG happen to intercept the ball or recover a fumble(like in the first half against the Pats) you get a do over. But if you complete the pass it stands. Even if the clock runs out, you get another, un-timed play.
  16. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,404 Messages
    102 Likes Received

B/c with the current rule: A hail mary incompletion takes 5-8 seconds off. Spiking it gains 5 yards(you accept the penalty) and loses, 1-2 seconds max. If he were to throw a pick and the Giants run all around the field. He would have lost all of the time that elapsed and had one untimed play to win the game. It would have been smarter to spike the ball and save the time. I doubt Brady realized that, or he wouldn't have thrown deep.

For the record: If you do this (12 men on the field) two or more consecutive plays(although it doesn't HAVE to be consecutive plays), the Referee can rule Inpalpably unfair act and reward the offense with a touchdown. Thus you can't do it like 4 plays in a row and exchange 20 yards of penalties for 30+ seconds.

But I suppose if the team has no timeouts and are on their own side of the field, it wouldn't hurt to have 12-13 players on the field and hope the QB doesn't recognize this. (if he does, he simply spikes the ball. Loses a second and gains 5 yards). If he doesn't you hope your extra players get to the QB or break up the pass and make them waste tons of time.
  17. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Thank you. That is exactly the reason you don't spike the ball in that situation.
  18. Romo2Bryant4Six

Romo2Bryant4Six Member

692 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was thinking the same thing, but did not know the rule.Thanks for the clarification.
  19. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,404 Messages
    102 Likes Received

Option A: Your on your own 40 with no timeouts(lets say 20 seconds left), the defense has 12 men, and you go deep, ball is incomplete. You just wasted 8 seconds and gained 5 yards.

Option B:Your on your own 40 with no timeouts(let say 20 seconds left again), defense has 12 men, you go deep, ball is intercepted and returned back to your own 5 yard line. The play used 15 seconds total of clock with the deep pass and return. You would get the ball back on the 45 yard line with 5 seconds left.

Or option C: Your on your own 40, no timeouts, 20 seconds left. Defense has 12 men on the field. You spike the ball. You have the ball on your 45 yardline with 18 seconds left, and a chance to huddle up.

Clearly C is the best route to me. I'd much rather conserve time. I completely get using a free play such as off sides in a normal scenario, but in this case(last minute, no timeouts) , your actually hurting yourself since you don't get the time back.
  20. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

14,946 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    I just don't think you can give the offense a free play and if it doesn't work they get the time back. Maybe blow the play dead and add 10 seconds since they run off 10 seconds on offensive penalties. Must not be that big of an issue since it's just now being talked about.