1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The New Look for this site is horrible

Discussion in 'CZ Support Zone' started by CowboysFanSince88, Jun 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

4,477 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    why can't things ever stay the same?? And all this for what???
  2. sunbum

sunbum Active Member

820 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    I'm fine with the new look and like many of the new features. I expect it will grow on you to where you appreciate as well. My thought for the reason behind the change is the old board was running on an antiquated software platform that prevented leveraging the may new web features available.
  3. CowboysFanSince88

4,477 Messages
    196 Likes Received

yeah the old board was Bulletin Style which I loved about the site for the past 6 years
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,708 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Sunburn said it correctly... The old software didn't have the oomph needed to stay current.

Under your preferences settings you can adjust some things that make it more palatable for you.

Personally I think the Newsfeed section by itself is a good enough reason to use the new software.
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    Yeah I would have been fine with the old system

one thing I hate about this new one is the stupid question that keeps being asked at the top of the page - do you have an avatar? Everyone else has one why not you?

That is EXACTLY the kind of thing that makes me do the exact opposite of what the little Nazi's that run things want.
  6. CowboysFanSince88

4,477 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    It's like it is trying to look like...............FACEBOOK
  7. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Try clicking the little X off to the far right of that banner to "dismiss" the question. I dunno if they stay gone but goes away at the time.
  8. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    I think the question mark is actually fitting.;)
  9. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,222 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    I was not sure at first but I really like the changes now.

I'm glad they changed it up.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,873 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    tried that and it keeps changing and then coming back. Its things like that - annoying like things- that really irritate me. Like I said; I do JUST the opposite to what the little napoleons want
  11. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,268 Messages
    7,118 Likes Received
    First of all, there are NO Nazis and little napoleons running the site, and on behalf of the staff and specifically Reality who worked REALLY hard to convert the site to give you guys the best environment to post whatever inane ramblings that may pop in your mind, I take offense to that. I get that a lot of people don't like change, but c'mon the shots at the staff are NOT warranted.

Click X to remove the notices...and if another notice comes back. Click X again. If that's too much work, then log out entirely and make sure you REALLY won't see it again.
    Idgit likes this.
  12. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,128 Messages
    7,850 Likes Received
    Yeah, I disagree with the OP. I think it's aesthetically an improvement. The forum features are a slam-dunk improvement. I think it just takes some getting used to new things for some.
  13. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,871 Messages
    1,689 Likes Received
    At least you showed that Notice who's boss! :D

/reality
  14. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't think the new format works well on a phone at all, and there is no mobile version. On my iPhone, the fonts are small and the width of the posts is too wide. This means I have to zoom way in to read it easily, and then slide back and forth to read the entire width.

XenForo supports Tapatalk, and I sent the mods a message about possibly allowing Tapatalk, but I haven't heard back on this. I guess I'll add a thread here, too, to make sure it isn't unnoticed. As it stands, I don't even bother trying to use the forum anymore on my phone.
  15. WoodysGirl

67,268 Messages
    7,118 Likes Received
    This has been addressed several times in various threads. The site has a responsive theme which when turned on, people had a hard time viewing the site vertically on their mobile device, so Reality turned off the feature due to all the complaints.

Updates are still being made to the site and when certain bug fixes are completed, then that feature will be turned back on.
  16. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received

So is Tapatalk not an option? I really like that for other forums I'm on. I don't know the technical aspects of it, such as whether it costs $ or just requires installing a plugin, but if it's no cost it would be great to have it enabled.
  17. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,871 Messages
    1,689 Likes Received
    No, third party apps are not an option. As WG pointed out, the site supports a responsive theme, but I need to make it optional for some users who prefer the full site on their mobile devices.

/reality
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  18. WoodysGirl

67,268 Messages
    7,118 Likes Received
    Per @Reality Tapatalk is not an option for CZ. Once the bug fix is complete, then the mobile feature will be turned on and everyone's mobile experience will be better.
  19. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received

OK, thanks.
  20. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,482 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    I have to agree with you. I really can't stand the new format at all. Maybe I am a dinosaur, but I REALLY loved the old style. Why couldn't they made a newer version with the same look and feel? Why does it have to be SOOO different?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.