1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The NFL And Gambling Hypocrisy

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Rogah, May 23, 2009.

1. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,563 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    OK this is a political issue but not really a Republican/Democrat thing so I wanted to see where people stood.

The NFL is going to sue Delaware to prevent them from legalizing sports betting in their state. Personally I don't have the first bleepin' clue what makes the NFL think that they, as a sports league that doesn't even operate in Delaware, have the authority to tell Delaware what they can or can't do. I guess they won't be awarding the Super Bowl to Dover Downs anytime soon. But that's besides the point.

The NFL is now officially in bed with state lotteries. IMHO, they are guilty of extreme hyprocrisy. Yes, I've read Florio's arguments agreeing with the NFL's stance, but I just ain't buying it. Gambling is gambling - if anything, the odds are ridiculously worse for scratch tickets than for betting on games.

Thoughts? Opinions? Comments?
  2. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah... I have an opinion.

The NFL stay out of my state's business. I want sports betting here.
  3. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I understand why they want to limit it to Vegas. They are worried about a player getting into trouble and tanking a play to pay of a bet.

They have a right to fight it just like you have a right to vote in favor of it or push for it.

The NFL does not care about lottery tickets because that does not have a chance of effecting their game.

I do not see what the big deal is companies do stuff like this all the time to protect their interest
  4. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think this has anything to do with players. If players wanted to bet, they could do it online.
  5. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Also through bookies but both are illegal it is about limiting it is not just a player remember Refs are also part of this equation
  6. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,563 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    I could understand this argument if sports gambling was illegal everywhere in the country and they wanted to keep the lid on Pandora's Box. But it is already legal in Las Vegas, the gambling capital of the country (not to mention that we got local bookies pretty much anywhere you need one). So I just don't believe legalizing it in teeny-tiny Delaware will even remotely increase the chances of any sort of corruption.

Besides, it isn't the professional players that they should be worried about. Players these days make way too much money to make it worthwhile. If anything, we should be worried about referees (as the NBA learned) or college athletes.
    It's funny you should say that because actually I don't have the right to vote in favor of it because I am not a resident of Delaware. Similarly, the NFL has no teams in Delaware nor do they conduct any business in that state that I am aware of.
  7. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,563 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    If I was a resident of Delaware, I would feel very much the same way. Personally I would be offended if a corporation with absolutely no ties, no investment and no connections to my state tried to tell us what we could or couldn't do.

I love football, but I hope the league gets their behinds handed to them on this one.