1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The NFL HoF "snub" list is lessened by one

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Draegerman, Aug 5, 2006.

1. jackrussell

jackrussell Last of the Duke Street Kings

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I believe Pro Bowls are nice, but at least part of it's selection process is by fan popular vote. If you go by this list of 9 Cowboys, and add in the rest of the league's players that have similar credentials, the Hall would double, maybe triple in size.

The bar should be raised, All- Pro status is far superior to being a Pro Bowler.
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,794 Messages
    1,668 Likes Received
    Problem with using Pro Bowls and All Pro stats is that unfortunately it is a popularity contest.
    That post about what if we had beaten the Steelers in one of those SB's is a very sad and true one. Bradshaw does not deserve to be in the HOF- he was not that good pure and simple. Greene is not the greatest DT of all time- I think that Olsen, Lilly and Manster were at least as good. Swann and Stallworth do not deserve the HOF if Drew Pearson is not in as well. As far as I am concerned the only steelers that deserve to be in are Franco, Webster, Greene, Lambert and Ham. BUT Of the Boys everyone in now as well as Howley, Niland, Harris and Jordan should be in. Also Harvey Martin and Too Tall.
  3. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That may be true true today but it was NOT the case back then. Up until the mid 90s the Pro-Bowl selection was made by coaches vote, not by fans. It wasn't until the advent of the internet and 1-900 numbers that fans started to have a vote in the PB selection.

It wasn't a popularity contest back then but was a pretty good assessment of the best players in their respective conferences. In some cases very good players were passed over because of a glut at the position, such as DT and LB, so we saw guys like Jethro Pugh never make it to the Pro-Bowl because there were so many other great DTs in the league/conference at the time.

I do agree that the Pro-Bowl is not a good measurement for current players but it is a pretty accurate barometer for players from before the mid 90s.
  4. jackrussell

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Point taken.
  5. jackrussell

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Before the 900 calls and internet, didn't they use punch cards for fan voting at stadiums?
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,130 Messages
    6,909 Likes Received
    Hey Draegerman, I see your post made it to Goose's board. Good job.
  7. Draegerman

Draegerman Internet Somebody

3,706 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Yep, but it didn't work out very well because they had too many with hanging "chads". ;)
  8. Draegerman

Draegerman Internet Somebody

3,706 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Thanks, WG. Rick Gosselin had actually sent me a personal email thanking me for the contribution to his blog.

That guy is a real class act. He will answer all emails sent to him (as long as the sender isn't acting like an idiot) and is always open to counter-points to his own personal opinions. I think he has one of the toughest jobs in the media. He's responsible for defending those Cowboy players that are eligible for the HoF and is usually the one who gets blamed when they don't get voted in. He told me that the 2004 selection committee from two years ago was the hardest on him because we had three Cowboys make the final ten and not one was voted in (Harris, Wright, & Irvin).

Rick is definitely one of the good guys and Cowboy players as well as Cowboys nation are very lucky to have him representing our team.
  9. jackrussell

4,162 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Recount!:laugh1: