1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The NFL "steered" Vick to the Eagles?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by CooterBrown, Aug 18, 2011.

1. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,588 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    I was listening to the NFL Network on the radio today and they quoted Michael Vick as saying that he thought Buffalo or Cincinnati were more favorable offers and opportunities for him, but he met with the league office, and the Commissioner, and they "steered him to Philadelphia instead."

Since when does the league office get involved in player's team choices and opportunites? As a Cowboy fan, I'm always alert to possible bias against the Cowboys, and I understand the commissioner thinking that the losers in Cincinnati would not be a good rehab environment for a criminal, but "don't go to Buffalo, you need to go to the Eagles"?????

I wonder what Kevin Kolb thought when he heard this quote?

Has anybody here ever heard of the league "guiding" players toward certain franchises, and away from others?

I know its a business, but wow.
  2. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,086 Messages
    782 Likes Received
    I dunno man if that's true that is pretty crazy. I wonder how close the comish is to the e-girls organization
  3. MilesHigh

MilesHigh Benched

44 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...ting-in-GQ-8216-People-act-lik?urn=nfl-wp5294
  4. hookemhorns72

hookemhorns72 Member

323 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What made Goodell think that the eagals was the best fit? Andy Reid? He couldn't even keep his son(s) out of trouble! So let's give him a conVick to mentor?
  5. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

3,711 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Yes, I think the league wanted Reid to mentor Vick. Even though his own son got into trouble Reid still runs a tight ship. Maybe Roger is a Mormon as well? Mormons tend to hook each other up.
  6. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,697 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    So the league can tamper with players, but teams can't... nice...
  7. kmd24

kmd24 Active Member

3,436 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If this is true, I think we should all owe the league a debt of gratitude. Vick is an exciting player, but I think he'll have less success than McNabb in terms of postseason victories.
  8. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

3,711 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    I actually think Roger Goodell should resign. This is a big deal and should be highly illegal given his position. The Bills and Bengals should be very mad about this.
  9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,655 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    He was walking a very thin on this one.

Recall however, that it was up to Goodell to let Vick into the league at all. He easily could have just banned him for life.

With Cincy's reputation as a problem child ward during recent years before then, I can understand them trying to steer Vick from there.

But what I don't get is why Buffalo did not get fair treatment.

All I can think of is that the QB situatio there was condiered dicey and there may have been high prfile controvesy from day one. On the other hand, allowing him to to go to Philly nad be QB3 was more low profile the first year or more. Of course, by the second year that had changed.

Nevertheless, this was a very fine line and Goodell may have some explaining to do.
  10. hookemhorns72

hookemhorns72 Member

323 Messages
    0 Likes Received