1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Nobel Peace Prize has become a sham.

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by AtlCB, Oct 12, 2007.

1. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Can someone explain to me what Al Gore and the IPCC have done to promote peace????? Isn't there anyone else out there more deserving of this award???
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,241 Messages
    4,571 Likes Received
    I think everyone just says Nobel Peace prize and it has become so used that, that is what it has become for all of the Nobel prizes.

People do not recognize that there are categories in the Nobel Prize.

Physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature, and peace. I think there is also a economics category as well.

So even if someone is awarded a Nobel Peace Prize sometimes it is in one of the other categories.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,800 Messages
    1,669 Likes Received
    The Nobel Peace Prize is SUPPOSED to be for someone who made an outstanding contribution towards PEACE. But it has gotten so politicised over the last 30 years that frankly its a joke. Like when Kissenger and Le Duc Tho got it- that was when it really started to go downhill.
  4. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,043 Messages
    788 Likes Received
    I knew that when a terrorist won it.
  5. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,878 Messages
    1,477 Likes Received
    It is the Nobel prize. Peace is but one category.

Unless you are a scientist I am not sure it means that much to anyone.
    It has always been political in nature as politicians hand it down.

I am not a big fan of Gore but I do see where he has tried to slowly turn the tide in America toward a more eco-friendly view. That has been accepted of late by President Bush which is rather scary considering how anti-environment Bush has been as a Governor of Texas than as President. The data must be compelling for him to have changed course.

It was awarded to IPCC and Gore ...
    "for their efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change"
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    I am so happy at how much this gets Atlcb's goat right now.
  7. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ma-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a
  8. Mavs Man

Mavs Man All outta bubble gum

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, Arafat. That one still takes the cake.
  9. SweCowboy

SweCowboy Member

218 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There are different categories but the prize in economics wasn't in Alfred Nobels will so some doesn't regard it as a real nobel prize. The difference between the peace prize and the other prizes is that its decided by a Norwegian committee and not the Swedish academy of science like the other categories are.

The peace prize is a political prize. Alot of former recipients has been pretty controversial.

Heres a list of former recipients:

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/index.html
  10. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Good...Gore deserves a Nobel Prize for his work on Global Warming.

Now they just need to get him to run for President.

Strike while the iron is hot...and Gore will never be hotter.

Won a Academy Award and a Noble Prize.

Come on Gore...get in there.

[IMG]
  11. SweCowboy

SweCowboy Member

218 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No he doesn't. His film is full of factual errors and global warming has absolutely nothing to do with promoting peace. And the committee who decide the award consists of 5 norwegian politicians.
  12. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,241 Messages
    4,571 Likes Received
    Gore for President!?!?!?!

Guy has about as much charisma as a truck load full of lucky rabbits feet at a PITA convention.

NO THANKS.
  13. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,596 Messages
    1,013 Likes Received
    Yeah, Peace really has nothing to do with Politics.
  14. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Charisma has nothing to do with being a good President or not.

Making sound decisions does.

That's like saying hell...Bush is the kind of guy that I want to have a beer with...Oh that's great...he just sucks at being President.

But having said that...I think he does have more charisma now...did you see him on Saturday Night Live...he was very good.
  15. SweCowboy

SweCowboy Member

218 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Of course it has but it has been awarded to alot of controverial people who hasn't really promoted peace at all, Al Gore being the latest on the list. And the award diminishes the other prizes awarded which are purely scientific, with the exception to the other rediculous award in litterature. Also I think its kind of funny that a peace prize is awarded in Alfred Nobels name since he was the guy who invented dynamite.
  16. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I disagree with you...he's done a lot to bring Global Warming to the forefront and that can't be bad.
  17. SweCowboy

SweCowboy Member

218 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Then please explain to me the connction between global warming and world peace. I also think his film is alarmist and contains tons of factual errors and the whole hysteria about global warming is media created.
  18. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Look I don't care if it was for Peace...science...love...whatever.

I don't make the rules...the people that give out the Nobel Prizes do and they thought he was worthy...so there you have it.

As far as Global Warming real or not...you have missed our huge thread on that one...go read it...some will support you and some will as I do think you're wrong.
  19. Mavs Man

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I see little benefit of him entering the race this late. Hillary has established herself as the frontrunner by several miles. He'd be stuck fighting for second with Obama, and at this point he seems more content fighting a more elevated battle in AGW rather than being bogged down in base politics once again. And with speaking engagements, a book, and a movie he's making plenty of money to survive, much more than he would as president or vp.
  20. Mavs Man

4,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What, and avoid a 200 page thread going over and over the same points? Why not? :D