1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Numbers Do Not Lie! Romo is Clutch!

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Jun 18, 2013.

1. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,559 Messages
    877 Likes Received

Tony is a very good QB. I'm glad we have him, and will admit that he has carried the team for the last few years. But, he's not clutch....
  2. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,378 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    Most of our wins last year were due to Tony playing well and not committing costly turnovers. In the Cowboys 8 wins Romo had a 13-6 TD to turnover ratio. In the Cowboys 8 losses Romo's TD to turnover ratio was 15-16. The Cowboys have won plenty of games in the 4th quarter during the regular season when it wasn't down to do or die but the Cowboys have never won a playoff/elimination game under Romo in a come from behind situation. The only elimination game Romo won was in a breather over Philly when the Cowboys had the lead from start to finish.
  3. KJJ

11,378 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    Romo has been clutch many times over his career carrying the Cowboys in a number of games but he's unable to be clutch and carry the team when it's all on the line. That's been the bottom line.
  4. KJJ

11,378 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    If you look at all the starting QB's in the league Eli is the most comparable to Romo because both have had turnover issues throughout their careers. From 06 to 2012 Eli's had more turnovers than Romo during the regular season. One of the key reasons Eli has 2 SB rings is because he's been able to avoid the turnovers and make big plays when it's been all on the line for the Giants. If you go back to the 07 and 2011 seasons the Giants struggled during parts of those seasons due to Eli's repeated turnovers. Eli had a combined 44 turnovers in 2007/2011 but only turned the ball over 2 times in the 9 elimination game wins he had those years which included the 2 SB's wins.

Nothing has killed Romo more than turnovers especially the ill-timed turnovers. He has 12 turnovers in his 6 elimination game losses. Flacco had 8 turnovers in the 4 road playoff losses he had prior to last season. His TD to turnover ratio during the playoffs and SB last season was 11-0. No way does Baltimore even reach the SB with the Flacco that was turning the ball over and not able to make plays when playoff games were put on his shoulders. The Cowboys have no chance of winning do or die games when Romo has more turnovers than TD's the proof is in the pudding. In his last 2 elimination games Romo's TD to turnover ratio is 4-5.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,176 Messages
    2,237 Likes Received
    I see you've really bought into this media creation for Romo called the regular season "elimination game".
    You have that right...just an obsevation.
    I tend to think the sample size is too small for Romo and team regarding those circumstances.
    I do know he and team are just inches away from being 3-1 instead of 1-3 in the playoffs.

Anyway, I think Romo is more consistant than Eli from year-to-year, but few have come up bigger in extreme situations than Eli. The numbers for comebacks, OT wins, etc bear that out.
    I do think that on average, the Giants have had the better defense; epecially in the late season on those two SB runs.
    The other three years Eli went to the playoffs his team was one and done.
  6. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

4,095 Messages
    734 Likes Received
    Usually, being in a come-from-behind situation implies that you, or the team, played poorly at some point in the game, otherwise why would you be trailing?

Is the 34-14 playoff victory over the Eagles somehow diminished because the Cowboys never allowed the Eagles to take the lead at any point?

Holding the lead from start to finish is kind of the whole point......
  7. KJJ

11,378 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    According to a few here I'm the one who created the term "elimination game." LOL The only reason Romo's 3 regular season elimination games are mentioned is because his playoff sample size is small. The Cowboys haven't made the playoffs in 3 years so a lot of focus has been put on Romo's last 2 regular season elimination game performances.

The difference between Eli and Romo is that Eli has always been a better big game QB than Romo. Eli has shown up in most of his elimination games which is why his 9-3 "elimination game" record is so much better than Romo's. In Eli's 3 playoff losses his TD to turnover ratio is 2-7.
  8. KJJ

11,378 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    Being in a come from behind situation doesn't necessarily mean you're playing "poorly" it could mean your opponent has made some plays. The Cowboys were in a come from behind situation vs Buffalo in their first SB meeting due to a punt block that gave Buffalo an early 7-0 lead. The Cowboys were in a come from behind situation at halftime in their 2nd SB meeting vs Buffalo was that due to the Cowboys playing "poorly?" The Cowboys were in a come from behind situation vs SF in the 92 NFC title game was that due to them playing "poorly?" Trailing at any point doesn't always imply that a team is playing "poorly." You can play great and find yourself behind in a game.

As for the Cowboys 34-14 playoff victory over Philly I never implied it was diminished because the Cowboys never allowed the Eagles to take the lead. :rolleyes: The point I was making was that Romo was never put in a situation where he had to come up with some clutch plays. When the team has been behind in do or die games he doesn't step up and make plays he continues turning the ball over.
  9. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Well-Known Member

4,095 Messages
    734 Likes Received

The reason the Bills were up 7-0 in Super Bowl XXVII was because the Cowboys didn't block the Bills player who came in and blocked the Dallas punt.

The reason the Bills were up 13-6 in the next Super Bowl was because, among other things, Aikman threw an interception, the Cowboys failed to score a touchdown when they had the ball on the Buffalo 7-yard line, a Cowboys player ran into a Bills punter, giving the Bills a fresh set of downs, and other things as well.

As for the 1992 NFC title game that you mentioned, the Cowboys only trailed the 49ers at one point, 7-3 in the first quarter. That is such a small deficit, and so early in the game, that it's practically meaningless as far as talking about "coming back from behind" is concerned. It's not as if the Cowboys trailed by 10 in the fourth quarter.
  10. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    How many playoff games has he played in and how many playoff games has he won? The most important measure of any quarterback.

Romo has talent that dazzles at times but he makes far too many bonheaded plays. He plays a lot like his idol Favre without the talent that bailed Favre out at times.
  11. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,817 Messages
    1,333 Likes Received
    It definitely doesn't diminish the win by any means, IMO. But there is something to be said about there being no proof of success when Romo is faced with adversity in elimination games, but there is plenty of proof of failure in the same scenario.
  12. KJJ

11,378 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    A QB doesn't have to be trailing to be in a clutch situation. In the 92 NFC title game the Cowboys were up by 4 points with just over 4 minutes to play and Aikman hit Harper on one of the most clutch plays in Cowboys history. It doesn't matter whether you're up by a few points or down by a small deficit it puts a lot of pressure on a QB when it's a do or die game. We have yet to see Romo be clutch in a make or break game.
  13. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,720 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    Actually, KJJ, every game is a make or break game. What about when Romo hit Holley for that TD in San Fran? If not for that the Cowboys record would have been worse than what it was.
  14. KJJ

11,378 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    The whole point is to win it's unrealistic to think you're going to hold the lead from start to finish especially in a playoff/elimination game. To be a great team and a great QB you have to be clutch and find ways to come from behind when there's no tomorrow. You're going to be in some dogfights especially in todays game where no lead is safe. All the great teams and "most" of the great QB's found themselves behind in championships at some point but found ways to win.

Winning in a cakewalk from start to finish doesn't reveal the heart and character of a team or a QB. What tells you the most about a team and a QB is being able to get it done with only minutes to play and trailing in a championship. Joe Montana trailed in 2 of his 4 SB wins winning one of them on a last ditch drive that ended in a TD pass with only seconds remaining.
  15. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,823 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Interesting qualifications.
  16. Califan007

Califan007 Well-Known Member

1,222 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Which game against SF did that happen?
  17. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,720 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    If you don't know, then I cannot help you.
  18. KJJ

11,378 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    Week #2 of the 2011 season. Would love to see Romo come up big like that when it's all on the line in an elimination game.
  19. Califan007

1,222 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I guess I'm beyond help, then, because from what I could tell Holley doesn't have any TDs in his career...
  20. Califan007

1,222 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Romo "hit Holley for a TD" in that game? lol