The odds are

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Verdict, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

6,173 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    If you think about it there are 22 starting positions on an NFL team, more if you consider the sub packages. The odds of the best player available at 28 being a defensive end isn't very high. I hate to burst you guys' bubble, but there is a better than even chance that we won't go DE at 28. I'm just sayin'.

waving monkey likes this.
  2. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

8,864 Messages
    1,867 Likes Received
    doesnt matter we do anymore this off season, its appreant Dallas looked at what we needed to do, looked at the team and said "screw it, we are this close, lets just start over on D "

Season wont produce anything unless the whole league just vomits. Any chance we had is gone now. No way do we find enough DE or CB help in one offseason to get this defense gelled and understanding what to do in one off season. no way. 1 player, maybe, the whole draft load possibly and a weak FA signing. Nope.

3. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

14,144 Messages
    2,007 Likes Received
    But we have the world's most famous nerve going to take the field this year.

waving monkey likes this.
  4. ShiningStar

8,864 Messages
    1,867 Likes Received
    we ll trot something out, what it will be, TBD. Might be the first year a defense is coined "the haunted D" its so bad to watch, it rates as a scary movie.

5. Killerinstinct

Killerinstinct Well-Known Member

1,582 Messages
    1,280 Likes Received
    The team has a history of wanting to take the best player at a particular position when picking late in the first rd.

We might be able to grab the no 1 guard at 28.

This might mean moving Lael Collins to RT.

I hope this doesn't happen because there are other players I want at 28 but I could see it happening.

mcompact likes this.
  6. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

6,969 Messages
    6,388 Likes Received
    With the way it's shaping up, the odds are that BPA is going to be defense anyway.

stilltheguru88 likes this.
  7. ShiningStar

8,864 Messages
    1,867 Likes Received
    give it another week. might be LS or punter.

Verdict likes this.
  8. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

16,287 Messages
    2,357 Likes Received
    CB is probably what we get.

9. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

34,663 Messages
    13,641 Likes Received
    So many openings now theyre pretty free to do (almost) whatever....as long as the player is worth taking there.
    Plenty of DE/OLB and DBs slotted in that range, so we still could get whatwe want.

10. TonyS

TonyS Well-Known Member

1,771 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Well, you saved me the cost of DirecTV this year. Turn the lights off when you leave. 'Nighty night!

11. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

6,969 Messages
    6,388 Likes Received
    I've seen this diagnosis before. I play a Doctor on the internet. It is my unprofessional opinion that you suffer a severe case of Hurt, Hurt of the Butt.

Dash28 likes this.
  12. mrtxstar

mrtxstar Well-Known Member

6,947 Messages
    3,474 Likes Received
    Year after year the consensus projections of the top players at each position are wrong in some way. For instants, look how Dak was ranked versus how he actually performed his rookie season. The odds that the OP talked about are considerably flawed and that leaves room from any team with a guru with a nose for talent to excel in the draft. Our guru is Will McClay and I trust him to work his magic once again when the time comes.

13. Idgit

Idgit That sounds really boring Staff Member

44,815 Messages
    28,636 Likes Received
    The good news about being mediocre everywhere but WIL is there are lots of ways to improve your defense.

waving monkey and Verdict like this.
  14. Verdict

6,173 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received

True. But it seems like you didn't read my post at all. My premise was that the BPA at 28 isn't statistically likely to be a DE which is what everyone is clammoring for.

15. Verdict

6,173 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    I think linebacker is a far more important position than teams value it. A real playmaker at that level can do a lot for a weak defense.

16. stilltheguru88

stilltheguru88 Well-Known Member

3,356 Messages
    2,500 Likes Received
    I think this team allows guys to go into contract years as the main guy. I honestly don't even see Jaylon playing that much at all. Hitchens would have to be playing bad for Jaylon to get significant time. Good manangment and coaches allow contract year guys to get their opportunities and lately for us it's paid off with guys having good years (Wilcox, McClain, Mo, Carr). I expect we'll get the best of Anthony Hitchens in 2017

17. Verdict

6,173 Messages
    1,738 Likes Received
    Anthony Hitchens has exceeded my expectations based on his measurables. He has played pretty well and is a valuable backup. I don't think he is starting quality but he is a good guy to have on your team.

Wilbur is a bit of an enigma to me. He really doesn't seem to do anything particularly well but the staff seems to love him.

18. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

6,971 Messages
    4,001 Likes Received
    2016 is ancient history huh

19. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

6,971 Messages
    4,001 Likes Received

"famous" nerve now this is a like

20. mrtxstar

mrtxstar Well-Known Member

6,947 Messages
    3,474 Likes Received
    Do you need a safe space from which you can demand to be heard? I read your silly post and I'm telling you it's balderdash. If the BPA is a cornerback at 28, "everyone" isn't going to get upset. Go get you a latte and chill. Enjoy your participation trophy.