1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The offensive line excuse is getting old folks

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysFanSince88, Oct 8, 2012.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,437 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    Some of us like to put credit or blame where it is deserved, and the offensive line deserves some of it.

I do not absolve Romo of bad throws he's made when he wasn't hit or really pressured, or when he should have just thrown the ball away.

I also do not absolve the line when Romo is being hit constantly or is hit while trying to throw the ball. (The offensive line deserved direct blame for Romo's third interception Monday, the one that should have been called a fumble.)

I also do not absolve the receivers when they run the wrong route or simply do not catch the ball when it is thrown to them. (See interceptions No. 1 and 2 against Chicago)

I think any knowledgeable fan understands there is simply more to turnovers/interceptions than saying it's the quarterback's fault. At times, it is (the final interception against Chicago was all Romo), but at times, it isn't.

If we're referring to Monday's game, though, the offensive line wasn't really the main problem, the receivers were. I thought the line actually played better than it had against Seattle and Tampa Bay ... of course, it's not too hard to look better than it did in those games.
  2. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

4,453 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    I think you are losing sight of the fact that Romo is still paid to perform regardless of how bad you think the O-line this season.
  3. CowboysFanSince88

4,453 Messages
    190 Likes Received

Not necessarily run but quicker passes so he can avoid sacks and negative plays.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,673 Messages
    9,900 Likes Received
    Yeah, seems like a fan who just doesn't want to accept the truth. So he's taken a stand. He refuses to face reality from this point on.
  5. Canada180

Canada180 bannedontherun88

131 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    My head hurts:banghead:
  6. CowboysFanSince88

4,453 Messages
    190 Likes Received

So wouldn't 3 step drops and quicker passes open up the run game?
  7. anj113

anj113 Member

951 Messages
    5 Likes Received

its getting old and you know why? because the managment NEVER fixes it... Its been like this for years... It took us 15 years to improve our CB and we are still waiting to replace Woodson at Safety..
  8. gimmesix

9,437 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    If a team knows you can't block and believes it can get to the quarterback easily, it will have its corners sit on the short routes to force the quarterback to hold the ball.

Quicker passes in that case would more likely result in more interceptions.

The keys to avoiding negative plays by the quarterback are to establish a running game and force a team to work for pressure. (If a team can stop the run and put pressure on the quarterback without blitzing or bringing up a safety, then there's going to be sacks and negative plays.)
  9. CowboysFanSince88

4,453 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    Exactly, so Romo might as well deal with it and work around it because it's not going to change no time soon.
  10. anj113

anj113 Member

951 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    THis is the problem.. You all focus on Romo.. HE IS NOT THE PROBLEM... He is so FAR from the problem.. This team isnt any good.. It has so many holes and weakness year afetr year after year... Jerry must love the fact that the media and all the fans blame ROmo and thats the talk and all the gets deflected how piss poorly this team is constructed year after year... Romo is NOT the problem with this team..
  11. gimmesix

9,437 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    It only works if the team shows it can buy enough time to go vertical.

Why would a team not play for shorter drops and quick passes if you haven't shown you can protect long enough to throw long consistently?
  12. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received

i dont know why he wasted his time on this, everyone knows offensive line has no baring on how a QB plays.......:bang2:
  13. CowboysFanSince88

4,453 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    Ok well that means the coach needs a offensive strategy to help his QB. So it sounds like the blame should be on garrett not the offensive line which is why I want him to be gone if the Cowboys miss the playoffs
  14. CowboysFanSince88

4,453 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    So it's not possible for Romo to throw a quick 5 yd pass over the top?
  15. CowboysFanSince88

4,453 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    Well maybe Romo should start getting paid less since he shouldn't be held accountable right now due to the weak O-Line?
  16. DABOYZ

DABOYZ Active Member

705 Messages
    83 Likes Received
  17. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,108 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    Cruddy OL play can pretty much turn any great QB into just a OK/mediocre one.

Rodgers has been sacked 21 times this year and the Packers offense is mere shadow of it's former self.

They let their pro-bowl center (Scott Wells) go in free agency and they are paying dearly for it.

I see parallels in Romo's and Rodgers seasons due to poor OL play.
  18. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

5,733 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    So all Romo needs to do is make sure his receivers run the right route, catch the ball when it hits them in the hands, run block, call the offensive plays all while avoiding the other teams pass rushers that cut through the hot garbage that the Cowboys' offensive line has become?

Of course...I see it now and will write Tony a very stern letter asking why he hasn't been successful since cryptonite is his only weakness since, after all, only Superman could do such things.:rolleyes:
  19. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,707 Messages
    728 Likes Received
  20. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,915 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Jerry? Is that you trying to save some money on Romo before the contract talk starts?