1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The offensive line excuse is getting old folks

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysFanSince88, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Tezz

Tezz Active Member

378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    The Cowboys had some good squads pre-2011 and then went into transition. I thought they were fairly average last year, this year they are playing bad (although against Bears pass blocking was okay) but a lot of other teams are as well.

I do agree about the excuses, it is what it is... I think talking about trying to upgrade with new players is more of an off-season discussion.

It is hard, but some teams have compensated for their deficiencies at o-line with play elsewhere to find a lot of success in the past. Steelers with Big Ben buying time, Giants with Eli hitting the hot route to Cruz all day last year, Cardinals with Kurt Warner making quick throws to Boldin and jump balls to Fitz, Bears utilizing a great screen game with some down-field shots, etc etc...
  2. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,568 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    Ding ding ding! They also got blown up by Philthy the year before that and they were manhandled by NYG in the aforementioned playoff game. It's ridiculously obvious even if you have another axe to grind.
  3. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

958 Messages
    567 Likes Received
    Arizona leads the league in sacks allowed and is 4-1 with a far worse QB than we have. Our offensive line hasn't given up nearly as many sacks as some other teams. Granted, some of it is because of Romo's ability to escape pressure, but the issues with our team extend far beyond our offensive line. How about scoring 3 offensive TD's (not counting Kyle Orton's TD Pass) in 3 weeks? If the OL is going to be held accountable, then so is the rest of the team INCLUDING our QB. I'm sorry, but with all the talent we have, we should be able to score more than 21 points on offense in 3 games.
  4. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

719 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    It doesn't matter how bad the OL is, Romo has to be better!!!!!

solid thought, threadstarter. you clearly have a firm grasp on this subject.
  5. Novacek84

Novacek84 Well-Known Member

1,274 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Maybe our "talent" that everyone talks about endlessly just isn't that good....
  6. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah people have been overrating our talent for years and this is no different.
  7. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,017 Messages
    591 Likes Received
    Sadly, I think Jerry Jones agrees with you :(
  8. djmajestik

djmajestik Member

964 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    QFT! :fact:
  9. djmajestik

djmajestik Member

964 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Neither did the rest of us.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,784 Messages
    1,666 Likes Received
    I am just amazed its gone on this long.

But then the OP is someone to whom reality is the undiscovered country.
  11. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,237 Messages
    1,442 Likes Received
    Nice post^^ Our Oline is not the only line that sucks in the league. Other teams QB's can get it done or at least put up more productive numbers than ours with olines just as bad. Constantly blaming the Oline is getting old. We have many other problems besides the Oline. Our oline played average against the Bears. They played good enough for our QB to be productive and yet he still missed throws to wide open receivers for touchdowns and turned the ball over 3 times himself.

Murray fumbled the ball 2 times and those were completely on him, not the oline. Dez dropped 2 passes and ran the wrong route on another that cost us a pick 6. That had nothing to do with the oline.

We put no pressure on the opposing teams QB, that has nothing to do with the oline.
  12. anj113

anj113 Member

951 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I disagree, you need a good O line to be successful and run a sucessful offense.. Use the Cardinals all you want, but I can promise you that team is winning NOTHING... WE cant run the ball, we cant pass protect, Our WR arent on the same page as our QB, I can go on and on and on... WE are a mess
  13. burmafrd

41,784 Messages
    1,666 Likes Received
    It only gets old once we get a DECENT O line.

Until then only morons dismiss the impact a lousy O line has on a team
  14. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,813 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    Heard the announcer say that the Jets OL has 3 all-pros.

Well, the Jets ain't going anywhere soon until they get a QB, several WRs and a RB.
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    I agree, the OL has been used as an excuse far too long.

Every team in the league has a major area of weakness. The good teams overcome their weaknesses.

People think that we need to stack the offense with 3 pro bowl WR, 1 probowl RB, 1 probowl TE and an OL w/ several probowlers to succeed. People act as if we need to fill out the offense with as many high draft picks and expensive free agents as possible. Only then will our offense not completely suck and wilt under pressure.

But maybe the reason our offense sucks and wilts like a dead flower is the guy who designed and currently runs our sucky offense.
  16. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    "You're in the zone!"
  17. ccb04

ccb04 Active Member

252 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    The trenches matter...as does offensive balance. The Cowboys had a balanced offense in one game this year, and they looked like world beaters.

No doubt Romo has to consistently make better decisions, but that's harder to do with constant pressure & breakdowns. We've even seen it affect the likes of Brady in the super bowl.

RG Bernadeau for instance, has allowed 3 sacks in 4 games, was the one that whiffed on his block and allowed the Bucs D-lineman to come free and temporarily knock Romo unconscious, and he was also the guy that allowed Melton from the Bears to come free & jar the ball loose that went right to Briggs. There's a reason they were talking about benching this guy before the Bears game, and there's a reason the coaches & players have all acknowledged the O-Line hasn't played well.
  18. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,865 Messages
    971 Likes Received
    i fully agree with this post. the same applies to other problems that the team has had over the past decade - e.g., too many penalties, D-line not getting enough pressure.
  19. burmafrd

41,784 Messages
    1,666 Likes Received
    only morons think you need multiple pro bowlers on the O line to be good.
    Only morons thing that a lousy O line is no impediment to being good.
  20. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :bow: