1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The only downside to franchising Spencer...

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheRomoSexual, Mar 4, 2013.

1. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,527 Messages
    1,067 Likes Received
    Someone please correct me on any inaccurate details as I am far from a cap guy. The Cowboys must be under the cap by March 12, and with Spancer's tag, they are now over the cap. So, to get under the cap, the bestway to do so is to extend Romo. But now, getting the extension finalized by March 12 is critical, thus increasing Romo's bargaining power.
  2. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,609 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    We are already under the cap I believe.
  3. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,525 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    I am for this option. Take that Romo!
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,612 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    We also can use that time to work out a long term deal with Spencer
  5. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,527 Messages
    1,067 Likes Received
    We were under the cap, but doesn't franchising Spncer push us back over?
  6. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,609 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Not after all the restructures and cutting Sensabaugh. There is still Connor and Spears. If were not under then we are close. I saw someone say we were well under but I am not sure how reliable the report is.
  7. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,959 Messages
    684 Likes Received
    As far as the cap

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9015381/dallas-cowboys-franchise-anthony-spencer-again

The Cowboys will have to restructure more contracts to get under the $123 million cap by March 12 and have worked out agreements to do so with defensive tackle Jay Ratliff and guards Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau. Cornerback Orlando Scandrick and quarterback Kyle Orton could also have their deals re-worked.
    The Cowboys would like to sign Tony Romo to a new deal, which would knock down his $16.8 million cap figure, but have not had substantive talks as of yet
  8. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    I think it's close. The cap was about 2m higher then expected and if you only have to count the top 51 you save about 1m. Add Sensy's 1.5m and the rookie pool that will account for about 1.4m, then they should be right at 123m. Doing something with Free, Connor and Spears could save another 8m right now and extending Romo could probably save another 6m.

I guess the plan is to sign Spencer to a new deal or trade him. Either way there should be enough money to sign a couple FAs before dealing with Spencer.
  9. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I will guarantee only one thing today......ROMO is not worried one bit IF/HOW Spencer's franchise will affect his contract.