1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Position Everyone Seems to be Forgetting...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by realtick, Feb 4, 2012.

1. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hear a lot of talk (and rightfully so) about the need to add talent to the interior of the offensive line, defensive line, secondary and outside linebackers.

However, there is one position that needs a serious influx of talented depth: offensive tackle

This team was seriously fortunate that it made it through the entire season with Doug Free and Tyron Smith unscathed.

Our immediate backup to those starters was Jeremy Parnell and perhaps Dockery in a pinch.

It wouldn't shock me one bit if this team nabs an OT somewhere in the first four rounds.

Who should we be looking at in your opinion?
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    If we do end up trading back in Round 1, for whatever reason, I think Glenn could be interesting as he could play OG and RT, imo.
  3. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,265 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    If we traded down, Cordy would make a lot of sense.
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If we're trading back into the bottom end of the 1st round, I'd much rather take Mike Adams from Ohio State. He's got all the tools to be a really good one.
  5. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Round 1: Kalil, Reiff, Martin (no others)

Round 2: Mike Adams, Zebrie Sanders

Round 3: Bobby Massie, Mitchell Schwartz, Brandon Mosley

Round 4: Matt McCants, Tony Bergstrom, James Brown

Round 5: Nate Potter

Round 6: Matt Reynolds

Round 7: Tom Compton, Andrew Datko

I know there are others, but based on our pick position and where I have these guys ranked, these are the ones I think would be available.
  6. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Ehh I wouldn't take a backup in the 1st 4 rounds. There is always free agency if we don't like 1 of the later round prospects. I personally like Daron Rose from N. Alabama. 6'5 320 and started for Florida St. at LT his sophomore year. Had to transfer because of grades, but I really like him as project in the 6th or 7th round.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,811 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    I agree. Houck says Free can play guard, that is good enough for me.
  8. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I'm glad someone else heard that interview. Once he moves back to right tackle, I think he will be much more effective. He was mediocre this year on the left side while Tyron was elite on the right side.
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Some good names there. I'm not sure we have a realistic chance at Kalil though unless he completely bombs the combine.
  10. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    And just for reference, the market for tackles is slim pickings, as it should be.

Demetrius Bell, Anthony Collins, Jared Gaither, King Dunlap, D'Anthony Baptiste, Dennis Roland, Stacy Andrews, Max Starks, Jeff Backus, Stephon Heyer, Mike Otto, Pat McQuistan, Paul McQuistan.
  11. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Anxious times in the McQuistan household...
  12. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,056 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received
    That's a valid question.

I have no idea what the Cowboy brain trust feels about Parnell.

For all I know they could be high on the guy. I'm not ready to toss him out of the loop quite yet, but there should be some concerns.

I agree with what someone else posted about Glenn and his ability to play tackle.

I think DeCastro is of the same ilk. The guy is 6'5, 315lbs and seems to have some lateral agility. I think he could potentially do a decent job at RT if need be.
  13. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Just some more information from NFL Draft Scout....

Average # of tackles taken over the previous has been 20. But look at the trend....

2006 - 27
    2007 - 22
    2008 - 25
    2009 - 17
    2010 - 19
    2011 - 19

Also, it states that approximately 62 TOTAL offensive tackles will make it to a camp (~ 2 per team).
  14. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm actually higher on Parnell than most, but again, we were quite lucky that Free and Smith made it through the entire season healthy. It seems we are woefully thin depthwise at the position.
  15. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I think with the draft, you are trying to find players who could potentially start for you in the forseeable future. This team has at least 7 needs in other positions that need to be filled with these picks. We have to rely on the scouting and coaches to develop these players from un-drafted to serviceable backup.

We can't use picks on positions where in an ideal situation they wouldn't start for 5 years. Also, we can't draft with the mindset that one of them could have a season ending injury. We just have to trust that Parnell and other guys we bring in can develop and perform when their time is called.
  16. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I disagree, at least if I'm understanding your points correctly. Drafting for backups instead of potential starters is what plagued the Cowboys in the mid to late 90s; Jerry has admitted as much, but strangely revisited that approach with the now infamous 2009 Draft.

I think ideally you always should be drafting the best talent at a position and not worry about creating a logjam at a certain spot. Too much talent is a good thing, it's not a problem that should be purposely avoided.

Doug Free could play lights out the next two season, but suffer a career-ender in the middle of 2014. I'd much rather we have a guy like Mike Adams (just as an example) in the wings developing for a couple of seasons than crossing our fingers that URFA Bob Petralopowski from SW Indiana State will be ready to come in as a starter.

I believe teams should approach the draft with some foresight in mind and not with just a reactionary approach to filling immediate holes.

Having said all that, we may be able to find some halfway talented depth in the FA market.
  17. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I said you should draft for future starters, not backups.

I agree, but using a 3rd round pick in a weak class at tackle would be a waste when you have so many other holes to fill with the team and players that could step in and be an IMMEDIATE impact.

See above comments about using 3rd round picks on backups. Free is still relatively young, and if we are going to draft players because we think our team is in the middle of Final Destination 6, then why not draft Ryan Tannehill because Romo could get hit in the head with a golf ball and never wake up from a coma?

They locked Free up for 4 years. They seem him and Smith being anchors for our offensive line. The problem is the interior where we are old, hurt and not developed. They have prioritized the edge of the offensive line in the past 8 months with the 14th pick in the draft and a 4 year/32 million dollar deal. We don't need to use a 1-4 round pick on an offensive tackle.

Bingo.
  18. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,041 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Tom Compton will rise, but would be nice value between 5th-7th. He's better than Reynolds & Potter. Can also play OG.
  19. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We should be drafting a starting RT so Free can take his true position as a backup swing tackle.
  20. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,056 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received

Really?