1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Problem on Offense is our Playcalling and Predictability

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ConstantReboot, Sep 24, 2012.

1. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

3,047 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    The problem with our offense is playcalling.

After rewatching the game a few times I noticed that when we had big plays, Garrett calls for run plays up the middle which would end up as a small gain or a lost. We kept doing this even in the 2nd half.

We ran the ball more than 90% up the middle on 1st down - which mostly gained negative or 1 yard gains in the 1st half.

Tampa played the run almost entirely on 1st down. Now why can't Garrett ever use a play action on 1st down and pass it? We tried 2 play action plays which gained big yardage to Dez.

Also, when we ran Murray we also ran him straight up the middle. Why? We should try and let me run outside the tackles. As far as I can remember, we only ran him once outside the tackles which we got good yardage. However, we can back with the same exact play on 2nd and 3 to Felix Jones which he got tackled for a lost. Why?

Our receivers yesterday were beating their corners quite frequently. However, we kept trying to run the ball with Murray and focusing on Witten on 3rd downs.

These are just a few examples. But our problems on offense has been the lack of consistency. The reason for that is our playcalling. We could have easily move the ball on Tampa yesterday using short to medium passes to our recievers. However, we kept trying to establish the run and kept forcing the ball to Witten.

Every time we had a big play, we kept trying to run the ball - we shot ourselves in the foot by trying to run up the middle on 1st down.

Garrett needs to stop this predictable playcalling and let Romo get some consistency with the offense.

Our predictable is whats causing this mess. When Romo has to change the play using an audible because the defense knows what were going to do, then that causes penalties and confusion to happen.

Thats the reason why we have so pre snap penalties. Just rewatch the game again and you'll notice things get messed up when Romo had to audible.

Garrett, stop making predictable calls. Therefore, we won't have to audible as much and will have an offense that consistent.
  2. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,262 Messages
    2,459 Likes Received
    The problem on offense is the line not playing well.
  3. maxdallasfan

maxdallasfan Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    JG is predictable too.

Where is the JG who called a swing pass to MB3 on 4th down and took it too the house?

I miss that JG. Or the JG who showed trickery and ran certain plays just to set up certain plays later in the game.
  4. ConstantReboot

3,047 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    We all know that and its obvious. But what is the coach doing about it?

Being less predictable can help a mediocre oline alot. Use play action or draws. We hardly use play action and when we did against Tampa, it ended up as a big play.

Romo is a mobile QB. I don't know why were having him play as though he is a pocket passer.
  5. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,385 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    He probably figures predictable play calling worked just fine in the 90's so it should work now.
  6. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Garrett's ******** play calling is 50% of the problem. He is terrible. Good post, OP
  7. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    What happened to the flee flicker?
  8. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,595 Messages
    2,474 Likes Received
    Thanks, Madden!
  9. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,965 Messages
    1,227 Likes Received

That's the main issue the OL can't pass protect or run block.
  10. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,262 Messages
    2,459 Likes Received
    There's only so much a coach can do.

The running game looks so predictable because the running plays don't have time to develop. Murray is consistently getting hit two yards behind the line of scrimmage. This means the blockers are being overwhelmed as soon as the ball is snapped.
  11. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Go 4 wide with quick outs.
  12. ConstantReboot

3,047 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    I rewatched the game and most of the pre snap penalties happen when Romo audibled or changed the play at the LOS. With all that shifting going on caused us to hurry the play or a false start.

Predictability also makes it easier on the defense to key in on certain plays. If Garrett mixes up his plays it doesn't put stress on our oline to be perfect.
  13. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,595 Messages
    2,474 Likes Received
    So when he called play action it worked right?

I dunno normally play action is set up by being able to run the ball. That was working....

I hear people complaining that he passed the ball on first down now you are complaining that he runs it on first down.

I agree with Laughenburg: playcalling is overrated.
  14. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Go back and use some trick plays from the 1970's
  15. ConstantReboot

3,047 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    Well the problem could also because we are too predictable. If the defense knew you were going to run the ball straight up the middle on 1st down, you would anticipate that happening. Basically, thats what Tampa did. They brought a extra man to the box to play the run.
  16. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,952 Messages
    4,499 Likes Received
    If a team decides to take the run away then you are going to have a hard time running. If you can't execute the game plan and plays that are called you are going to look bad.

We are having problems running the ball. Teams are scheming that. We haven't been able to run short yardage for awhile now. Teams are scheming that as well. If you can't run you have to pass. If you can't pass block then you are in deep kimchi. Now you can't run the ball, they're giving you the pass and you can't block their front four. On top of that you keep getting presnap penalties as well. Everyone looks like kimchi.

In the end football is blocking and tackling. Someone famous said that.
  17. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

11,965 Messages
    1,227 Likes Received
    The Cowboys keep trying to run the ball with little success. Romo is having trouble hitting plays down the field because he's under constant pressure. Murray is losing yards on a majority of his carries which is putting the offense in a lot of 3rd and long situations.

Even Murray's 48 yard run vs the Giants on opening night would have resulted in a loss had he not made something out of nothing. The offense has no punch because of the struggles on the line.
  18. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    I have no issues with garrett continuing to pound the rock. In fact, taking no chances was probably the smartest thing he did. Your defense is completely shutting down the other team and you have the lead in the game. What are you going to do have Romo back in shotgun slinging the ball all over the field when he is getting killed by the Oline?
  19. ConstantReboot

3,047 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    I disagree. Playcalling is underrated and essential. Especially when you have league of parity and when all the teams have a chance to win every week.

Play action worked didn't it? It works not because the run is working. It works because it freezes the defenders for a split second into thinking about playing the run.
  20. maxdallasfan

maxdallasfan Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    How many snaps has Beasley or Harris had on Offense? Or Holmes?

It's always the same 3 out there.