1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Problem on Offense is our Playcalling and Predictability

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ConstantReboot, Sep 24, 2012.

1. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,125 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    how about some screens and some quick passes like GB started doing last night? move the chains
  2. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,171 Messages
    1,948 Likes Received
    I'm with you on the screens.

But it seems we ran one and it failed because of a smart defender.

The others are these naked screens Jason likes to run that have produced little in five years.

Blocking for the ball carrier seems to be a concept that is foreign to the Dallas coaching staff.
  3. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,837 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    Going through the play-by-play, this is clearly not the case. Not sure how you're defining "big play", but we had somewhere between 9 and 11 plays that might qualify (double-digit yardage gains that got first downs). We passed after 5 of those and ran after 6. A couple of those runs were to the outside. We followed the biggest play (the 49-yarder to Austin) with another pass.

Well, sure, your argument is irrefutable as long as you just make stuff up. Not counting the last drive of the half (where there was less than a minute left), we ran on 7 of 10 first downs. For the game, we ran on 13 of 24 first downs.

Why do I have a feeling that if we passed more, you'd complain that Garrett was abandoning the run?
  4. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,810 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    Umm the team of the 90s had probowlers and hall of famers on several positions, especially on the line. You don't take the playcalling of the 90s, and place into this years team. It doesn't work that way.

If you think our line is worst just look at Green Bay, they gave up 8 sacks during one half. However, they adjusted in the 2nd half and was able to move the ball and make a game of it. If we become less predictable, we eventually put less stress on our oline and neutralize an aggressive passrush just like what the Packers did last night.
  5. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

2,647 Messages
    167 Likes Received
    GB still got Rogers sacked a ton and only scored 12 points last night. GB probably has worse offensive issues than we have. At least we have a solid running back.

In our game against Seattle I think we forgot we had DeMarco and went away from the run too early and we got a couple 3 and outs in the 3rd quarter and never really got back in the game.
  6. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,784 Messages
    5,196 Likes Received
    yet they've scored more points than us.
  7. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,351 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    I'm with this guy. My biggest problem is that we try to run and when that doesn't work, we immediately go into shotgun and obviously throw a pass. This tells teams "just stop a couple of runs and then either blitz or play coverage."
  8. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    The #1 problem with this offense is the line. If the Cowboys had even a solid to good Oline, Romo and the talent of the skill players could overcome Garretts pass happy, predicable play calling. (not in the playoffs when coaching counts more)

But who is ultimately responsible for the debacle that is this Oline? Its Jerry and Garrett. They have wiffed, analyzed poorly on current personel, the draft, and FA Olineman for the last two years together. For Jerry, its been alot longer than that.

And then who is responsible for the undisciplined play of the Oline? That would also be on Garrett. But its alot more than that. The great lines typically have good centers. The center in the minds of Jerry and Garrett is an afterthought. "Costa is the future"? Wow!!!
  9. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Agreed, but that Oline also paved hte way for the running game in the 2nd half. Alot of those sacks were also coverage sacks.
  10. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,402 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Give Red and Romo a good offensive line and they'd lead the league in offense. Funny how good blocking turns OCs into geniuses...and bad blocking makes them idiots. The same thing is happening in Green Bay this season. Everyone there was so dazzling, bright and creative...then their line play fell off.

So many fans just don't know what they are watching.

I'll add these assorted thoughts:
    -Witten has been a liability so far this year. So far.
    -Dez is having difficulty getting separation.
  11. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,807 Messages
    772 Likes Received
    If a good offensive line inevitably makes an offensive coordinator a genius, then why won't our genius offensive coordinator ever improve the offensive line?

The unit has been the weak link in Jason Garrett's offense for 5 years. If it's so important--and the fundamental reason that his offense continually looks like crap--why doesn't he fix it? Doesn't his refusal to address such a sore spot on the team ALSO reflect poorly on him?
  12. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,810 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    13 of 24 on first downs? Where did you get that stat from?

We'll the stats I see here is that we only got 14 first downs. Thus we ran 13 out of 14 first downs which is an extremely high number and a high level of predictability running on first down.

Last week Giants torched Tampa for over 500 yards passing. There was no reason to keep trying to establish the run well into the 3rd period when your down less than a TD. I'm not saying that we should be passing all the time. I'm saying we should mix it up more rather than being so predictable all the time as what we were in the Tampa game. The less predictable we are, the less chances the defense gets to load up on Romo.

There is so much complaining on this board that its the oline fault and we can't win with this oline. Sure, lets just lie down every game cause we have the worst oline. But last night showed that you don't need a superior oline to win games. Sure it helps. But with proper adjustment, playcalling and a strategy to neutralize the passrush it can be done. Just that our coaches need to do it.
  13. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,785 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    Can't say the Cowboys offense is as talented as Green Bays. Rodgers is the best QB in football and their receivers as a group may be the best in the NFL. They went 15-1 last season due to Rodgers golden arm and his receivers. Their defense ranked dead last and their running game ranked 27th. The Cowboys are 5 years removed from going 13-3. They've only won 14 games the last 2 seasons and the up and down start to this season shows they don't have the team they had 5 years ago.

We both agree the Cowboys have coaching issues. The Packers were able to hang in against Seattle and compete with them through all the adversity they faced in the first half because they're better coached and have a much better team than the Cowboys. That's the bottom line.
  14. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,820 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    My list of problems with Jason Garrett's play calling get's longer by the game, but most of them, admittedly, are subjective and there really is no way I can prove I'm right.

But I think one issue in the Cowboys play calling that everyone should see as a problem is the type of running plays he calls over and over. Those running plays require players that can actually overpower the guy on the other side of the line and create a push. This OL has shown quite the opposite, often meeting Murray with their backs about two yards behind the scrimmage. That is my primary issue with Jason Garretts play calling. He's not adjusting his philosophy to fit the type of players he has.

Execution issues are one thing. But if you are asking a player to do something he physically cannot do, then you are at fault, not the player. This is his final 53 and his playbook should be designed to promote what his players can do. In this offense, the only reason you run an undisguised run between the Tackle and Center is to set up the Play Action and the Counter. We saw the Counter Weakside Cutback once in preseason, and since then it has been on the shelf. We should see that play at least once a game, probably more. But we don't. And that is why Demarco Murray get's met by his own blockers 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage.
  15. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,820 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    And this is another problem I have with Jason's play calling. He should be rotating everyone in for touches to keep players fresh, give the younger players in-game experience, and to give defensive coordinators throughout the year something different to look at.
  16. alohawg

alohawg Active Member

1,242 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Deception is still a big part of the game, misdirections, run from pass formations and visa versa. Dallas does very little of this, why???
  17. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

6,492 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    The problem with our offense is execution. How can our offense be predictable when guys on our own team don't even know where to line up at lol?
  18. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,461 Messages
    2,076 Likes Received
    hhmmmm...

good point

jerry and garrett are truly ahead of the curve

if the players dont know what they are doing, how can the oposition?

predictably unpredictable
  19. Supercowboy1986

Supercowboy1986 Well-Known Member

1,022 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    you are a true visionary (no pun intended)
  20. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,461 Messages
    2,076 Likes Received
    i knew you would say that ;)