1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Process, Romo, and Father Time

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TwoDeep3, Nov 19, 2012.

1. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,401 Messages
    2,238 Likes Received
    The evolution of this board this season has been entertaining, to say the least. As we trundle off into the future, the internet has become so much of the Cowboy and NFL experience, it has changed the dynamics of watching this sport.

Gone are the days of reading every newspaper and waiting for Sports Illustrated, which was always a week behind. There is a lot less chatting around the water cooler, and a lot more digitally arguing with people you couldn't pick out of a photo.

So when one side of the yin and yang coin has now morphed into accepting what is being displayed on the field and finding it something to cheer about, it makes me wonder.

Bottom line is this.

The Process means there could be more years, and that is multiple, of waiting for a return to being relevant. As Opie stumbles through his day trying to figure out his job, we watch and wait, some more patiently than others.

This is why I am anxious, and no amount of "don't care, we won," will soothe my angst.

Father Time is walking behind Romo in a race that Romo will not win.

Is this season an aberration?

Maybe. Certainly that display of taking the team on his shoulders and winning the game yesterday was just like so many we've seen over the Romo tenure.

But the first half was littered with miscues, and not all of them were the fault of the WR's. Romo was sailing passes, throwing short, and as accurate as a game of horseshoes.

So I'm just posing this question.

What if this is the first signs of his decline? Subtle, almost unnoticeable, but to be sure the beginning of the end.

Now think on that, and factor in The Process.

Because none of us truly know when Jerry will pull his head out and make a move to fix the offensive line, or get another great receiver to move Austin to the slot where he belongs.

Or Opie puts together a game plan that keeps the defense reeling because they cannot figure it out.

As much as we argue over what we see now, and its importance, there is one thing that is not static in this argument.

Romo is aging. And that is supremely significant.

Witten is aging. Not as big a deal, but a big deal nonetheless.

How much time does the team truly have factoring in the snail's pace of The Process versus Father Time?

So when you are pleased with a team that is consistently mediocre, how long will it stay even at that level when the eye of the storm is growing a long gray beard before our eyes?

Something to ponder that has zip to do with the Rosebud attitude or the Negative attitude.
  2. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    This is a good point because I have recorded at least 7 times that Romo has missed on a TD pass, where the protection was fine and he simply overthrew his target.

That's 42 pts off the scoreboard there.

Nothing would make me more happy than to see Romo, Witten, and Ware get a SB ring but I've not in favor of trying to make this a short-term team.

We are adding good, young talent and when the "changing of the guard" begins to happen having the right pieces in place will aid the team in being competitive every season.
  3. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    It's entirely possible he's shellshocked.

He gets hit once every how many dropbacks? He's had a full season of the imbeciles around him not being smart enough to run the right routes, get lined up onsides, make the right line calls, and in the case of the Oline not physical enough to protect him even if they "execute" the play correctly.
  4. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,698 Messages
    726 Likes Received
    Ron Jaworski on Tony Romo post-game press conference: "If I wasn't hearing the sound, I would've said, 'Boy, there's a beaten quarterback.'"

Ron Jaworksi: Tony Romo "is a guy right now that is lacking confidence." With play calling and execution, Romo's "at an all-time low."
  5. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,613 Messages
    367 Likes Received
    If Romo was Mr. Chuckles in the post game pc and yukin it up with reporters everyone would be complaining about that. How can he be happy with that performance???? Wah wah wah.

He can't win with the realists and we get it.
  6. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

12,180 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    There was one pass play where Romo killled what ever play he was going to run and walked up to the line. I heard him yell "52 is hot" My best guess is that some one on the line was being alerted to the LB coming on the blitz.

The ball is snapped and sure as the ocean is full of water 52 had Romo on his back in a second. Sure he's sailing passes, he's getting killed.
    I really can't think of another QB who could operate behind this line.

But yeah, father time is on his heels. That's whats so sad about the whole situation. he could catch him and a few others before this gets figured out.
  7. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,327 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    Man, how sad is that? Romo specifically calls out a guy's number and he gets killed by that very guy. Sad. I heard the same thing happened to Rivers in the Broncos-Chargers game yesterday. Von Miller was wreaking havoc and Rivers specifically pointed to him and said "block that guy." What happens? Von Miller comes off the edge untouched and drills him.

It's kind of funny when its happening to someone else's quarterback! :laugh2:
  8. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,720 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    Father Time is walking behind Romo in a race that Romo will not win.

Yeah, that's it...Father Time.

Romo NEEDS time, and not from this "Father Time" stuff. He needs time in the pocket. He may miss some targets at times, but when he has less than 3 seconds before all hell breaks loose and he's running for his life, what do you expect?

But your "Father Time" stuff is really stupid because Romo can still last in this league for at least another 3 or 4 years and still be somewhat the QB that he is now.

But, not to turn you post all around, but when the Cowboys and Romo are in desperation mode and they go hurry up...you can't stop the guy!

So why in the hell don't they come out swinging from minute one? That's what bugs me.

This whole team should be thankful that Romo is the QB. Give him the same time as Brady gets, and he will tear you up!

This lesson is for FREE! :cool:
  9. Gemini Dolly

6,698 Messages
    726 Likes Received
    What do you mean by "father time"?

Am I taking it too literal or do you actually mean him being a father is dragging him down?

Or "father time" meaning he is old?
  10. Dave_in-NC

12,180 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    I know we are lining up back ups to back ups but good lawwd I'm glad I'm not Romo right now.
  11. cowboys2233

4,327 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    It was actually his father. It was strange, but Ramiro jogged onto the field in the second quarter and blindsided his own son. Personally, I think he was in the neutral zone, but it is what it is.
  12. Dave_in-NC

12,180 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    Can't argue with that.
  13. Gemini Dolly

6,698 Messages
    726 Likes Received
    :mad:
  14. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I was actually looking for that specific sack, Rucker is 92, I don't see any sacks by 52 on Romo. Maybe it was 53.
  15. Dave_in-NC

12,180 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    It might have been 53. It was one of those plays I just kind of turned my head on the minute Tony snapped the ball because the guy came right over center untouched.

I'd love for you to post it. Maybe some fans would see the reality of being Romo behind this mess of a line.
  16. cowboys2233

4,327 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    Someone just did and I can't find the thread for the life of me! Looks like he might have called out "52" but Rucker (#92) is the one that got him. But 52 did jump on a pile late, so he's got that going for him.
  17. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Okay it was in overtime, and it was #53. He called him the mike, and I'm pretty sure you're supposed to block the MLB.

:laugh2:

[youtube]OCYg_ACXxEA&start=208?vq=hd720[/youtube]

The other sack I had posted originally for reference:

[youtube]xD11WpP5DR8&start=1563?vq=hd720[/youtube]
  18. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Like it or not, with the current state of our oline, our idiot receivers and our coaching staff's inability to teach anyone or manufacture any sort of a run game outside of hmmmm let's throw 5 yard outs to Witten on second down...Romo is compensating for about 10 people and a coaching staff.

Once his legs go, so does his ability to compensate. And obviously our coaching staff isn't prepared to be accountable for themselves.

Legs go quick, if we can't find a way to protect him this thread could be very appropriate.
  19. cowboys2233

4,327 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    Yup, that was bad. Pathetically bad. Romo pointed right to him and the lineman got beaten like a drum anyway. And it was Free.
  20. Dave_in-NC

12,180 Messages
    841 Likes Received
    Yeah that's it. How does he call the guy specifically and that happens. Like I said, I'm glad I'm not him right now.

Thanks for the vid.