1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Raiders have released linebacker Aaron Curry, fourth-overall pick in '09

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by rkell87, Nov 20, 2012.

1. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,352 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    The Raiders have released linebacker Aaron Curry, ending an experiment that never paid off for the former fourth-overall pick in the 2009 draft.

After the Seahawks gave up on him, the Raiders acquired him last season for a pair of draft picks, last year’s seventh-rounder and a fifth-rounder next year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/11/20/raiders-release-aaron-curry/
  2. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    sounds like he needs to get fully healthy still and look for a camp invite
  3. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,858 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    I see he has been released by the Raiders. If I recall, this guy was the #4 overall pick. The reason I am asking is because I am not a big college football fan, but I recall him having ALL of the measurables.

I live in ACC country, so I am not bullish on ACC football. Actually, I think outside of a few teams, it is very average. And I recall he went to Wake Forest, which is a small school better known for it's academics

He is only 26, is he worth a look? I wonder if he could be another Ahmad Brooks...a kid who went to high school in an area I am from (DC area)...and I always wished Dallas had took a chance on him. He has FINALLY got himself together...and San Francisco is the benefactor of being in the right place once Ahmad turned his life around.

For those who follow college ball more than me...is there anything there? Especially with Spencer becoming a free agent. For the record...we drafted Spencer somewhere in the 20s.....this guy was the #4 overall pick back in 2009....when the money was huge...I believe he got like $35m guaranteed....Ouch!!!! Something to keep in mind when we feel Spencer is not performing.....or something to for us to be mindful of once we finally see the numbers Spencers camp wants
  4. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,184 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    Just one of those guys that couldn't go from college to the pro's. I think as a whole the 2009 draft was a very weak one.
  5. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,865 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    total bust. never did anything. is battling injuries. forget it.
  6. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kind of like Laurent Robinson when he came to the cowboys last year.

He needs to get healthy get a a training camp invite and make a team.
  7. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,662 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    I'm liking the Ernie Sims signing. Big time draft bust for the Lions ... playing very well in a specialized role for us.

I hope we can keep him.
  8. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

4,964 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    Can he play OG or OT or C?
  9. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,493 Messages
    1,760 Likes Received
    I absolutely agree. I'd keep him over Connor, and I don't dislike Connor at all.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind at all taking a chance on Curry once he is healthy. That is the key though, his health.
  10. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I really liked him coming out of Wake Forest. He was supposed to be the next big thing at MLB. It didn't pan out for Seattle or Oakland but I am confident it could work in Dallas once he is healthy and in game shape. How do you see our off-season moves unfolding?
  11. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,370 Messages
    834 Likes Received
    if we were healthy and had a ton of roster spots, I'd say sign and stash for TC next year - I doubt he'll start in this league but he could develop into a good situational player. But given our current injury situation, I can't see using a roster spot
  12. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,731 Messages
    3,423 Likes Received
    I'd address this now with an interest call then follow up in the offseason early on. Think about bringing him in for an interview and physical.
  13. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,370 Messages
    834 Likes Received
    and one of the great things about missing the off-season is that you can sign guys like this before the playoff teams have a crack at them

that's gotta be better than the playoffs, right?
  14. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

38,112 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    Sounds like a good plan, but it seems like our problems are more along the offensive line.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,493 Messages
    1,760 Likes Received
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind stashing him at all.
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,616 Messages
    4,168 Likes Received
    It appears that the minimum salary for a 4th year player is $700k.

If he was signed now with 6 games remaining, it would be a prorated salary of $262.5k. Signing him next week would cost $218.75 for the remainder of the season.

Curry has problems with his knee or knees.

I think that the Cowboys could sign him and immediately move him to IR like the Lions did with Nagy.

He played OLB in a 4-3 in both Seattle and Oakland.

Here is one draft analysis of him:

Compares To: Derrick Johnson, Kansas City -- Like the Chiefs finally realized with Johnson, hopefully the NFL team that drafts Curry will do likewise and play him in the middle. He has very good athleticism making plays in front of him, but bites often on play-action, lacks good depth playing in the zone and is a bit too stiff to generate the sideline-to-sideline range to make impact plays on the outside, where he struggles to stop the runner's forward momentum. He can clog the rush lanes when he stays low in his pads. Put him inside in a 3-4 alignment and he can be equally productive getting to the quarterback as he did in college. Play him on the outside and he will be exposed in a quick and deep passing game.
  17. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,731 Messages
    3,423 Likes Received
    That's not exactly what I was thinking.
  18. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,462 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    He was called the "safe pick. Cant miss" player of the draft by several draft scouts.
  19. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,160 Messages
    810 Likes Received
    I don't see how it could hurt, especially since we're most likely not retaining Victor Butler next season. I say bring him in. He's still a good athlete at the position with good size at 6'2" 255 lbs. Not much to lose, could be a big steal. Remember, Ernie Sims wan't very good with Detroit and he's been a solid pickup for us so far this season.
  20. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,778 Messages
    1,611 Likes Received
    :signmast: