1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The RB situation

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jnday, Feb 10, 2013.

1. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    For the first time in years, I didn't spend much time keeping up with the draft prospects for the draft other than a few linemen. I figured my thoughts wouldn't be taken under condideration this year no more than years past. Jerry just doesn't value my opinion on these matters. With that being said, what does this years crop of RBs look like? Murray stays hurt and the team should look to the draft for a quality second RB. I would like a big, tough power runner myself. Something this team hasn't had in the past. Any pet cats that that could fill the position? What do you guys think? Any good RBs worth a pick?
  2. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,756 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    If all we really needed was a piece here or there, I would take Lacy in the 2nd and run with it....but we have so many holes.....RB is not a great priority.

That being said....I feel like Lacy, Taylor, and Barner are very good prospects.

If we can add a few late round picks....we could get Winn in the 6th or 7th.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,810 Messages
    774 Likes Received
    There's lots of good prospects, I'd say.

I love Lacy, one of my pet cats and probably favourite player in this draft, but I think he'll go early round 2. If he fell to our second pick, I wouldn't hesitate at all to pick him. BPA.

Another guy who I think is a good option is Ray Graham. I like him alot as well.

I would say RB is a pretty big need considering that our season is pretty much tanked when Murray gets injured.
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,468 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    I think there will be value at RB in rounds 3-5.

If you are aiming to meet Sturm's prognosis of 3 starters one way to do that would be to draft an RB by r3.

Murray may remain a better player but his injury history means you want to limit his carries. Something they tried to with Felix but couldn't once he gained all that weight.

Good all-around backs like LaVeon Bell or Mike Gillispee will be there for the taking.

Kenjon Barner and Ray Graham give you a bit more speed.

OR you draft a guy like Lattimore who could be the next Sean Lee/Bruce Carter type. Probably the best back in this class if 100% healthy but certainly needs a redshirt year and may never be 100%. With medicine the way it is guys can come back stronger than ever.
  5. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I really like Joseph Randle, but he'll probably go too high for us to even consider.

Christine Michael of A&M with his size/speed ratio intrigues me and could be had in the later rounds.

The one kid I'm really intrigued by is Michael Dyer. He probably isn't even on our board considering all his off field issues, but he was a stud at Auburn couple of seasons ago and was considered one of the top backs in the nation. He got kicked off the squad and I believe he ended up sitting out this season. Not sure if he declared or if he plans on going back to school for 2013, but if he did, some team might get a first/second round talent for dirt cheap.
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,468 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Michael holds zero intrigue for me.
    He was benched by two different TAMU staffs.

I'd not touch him at all.

Same with Dyer.

Randle is a different story altogether and it just goes to how high you want to draft an RB. He should be gone in r2. IMHO he starts over Murray here. Just a very durable, useful, tough guy.
  7. Hailmary

Hailmary Well-Known Member

2,265 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I dunno, if Michael could be had in the 6th round, then I may want to take a look. And wasn't his injuries one of the main reasons why he didn't see the field more? I don't follow A&M football as much so I could be wrong.

As for Dyer, it seems like he'll be returning to school next year, so points moot. Even if he wasn't, I've lost interest when I just read that the reason why he sat out last year was because of speeding and posession of a handgun and narcotics. I could look past the marijuana thing, but the handgun is a huge red flag.

Randle's also a good blocker and reciever. I wouldn't mind trading out of the first and picking up an extra 2nd and 3rd. I think this kid could help out a lot even though it would be considered a luxury pick.
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,468 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    From what I have seen on forums like this Michael was moody and hard to coach. When he lost snaps to injury he came back surly and aloof. He has talent but never as much as he believes.

But I am not a TAMU guy so perhaps an aggie can tell us more.

There is about zero way I trade down and consider RB any reason to do so. We are driving around in a Pinto. We can't afford rims my man.
  9. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    If Taylor is there in the 4th I'd take him in a heartbeat. Good runner, and he can block.

But I don't think we can afford to take a RB in the first three rounds, and really not a single RB in the draft is SO good that we should draft him in the top 3 rounds (not even Lacy).
  10. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,849 Messages
    2,299 Likes Received

If Lacy was there at our third round pick, I'd pull a hamstring trying to get the card to the podium.

Still, I agree that:

1) We have too many pressing needs elsewhere to go RB in the first 3 rounds

and

2) With the RB position being so de-valued these days, good backs can be found in the 4th, 5th and 6th rounds.

So, while I do expect us to draft a RB... I don't expect it until the 4th round or later. That is unless a highly rated guy slips down and the value is just too good to ignore.

I think we go some combination of DT, OG, and Safety in the first 3 rounds... and I totally agree with that, barring some slip by a highly ranked player at another position.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,605 Messages
    3,864 Likes Received
    My guess is they will be looking mid round down but I think it is lower on the totem pole than some other positions.
  12. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,764 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    If Montee Ball is available in the second round I would love to him on this team. He is everything we need from a RB (Consistent, smart, hard working every down back, great receiver and a nose for the end zone).

I also like Taylor from Stanford a lot.
  13. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

866 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    The two RBs I would consider in the 6th or 7th would be George Winn and Robbie Rouse.
  14. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,849 Messages
    2,299 Likes Received
    You see Ball going in round 2? I've been figuring round 3 or later, but I certainly could be wrong.

Like you, I really think Taylor is going to be a solid, solid back.
  15. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,408 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I would be pretty surprised if we take a running back in the 3rd round unless we end up with multiple picks in the top 3 rounds in a trade down.
  16. Dmoore Esq

Dmoore Esq Member

170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I want a speed guy who can possibly help on special teams. Barner would be nice. I love Murray but I want to get a guy that can burn a defense and another that can step up if Murray's going to miss time. Granted, our o-line is most in need of improving, but I'd like to have a RB situation like the giants and 49ers had last season.
  17. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,330 Messages
    4,876 Likes Received
    There seems to be a lot of mid-round talent at RB in this draft.

Two on my favs are Le'veon Bell and Kenjon Barner.

If Knile Davis or Cierre Wood end up as UDFAs, it would be excellent to get one or both there.

5'10" 205 Giovani Bernard
    5'10" 220 Ed Lacy
    5'11" 210 Montee Ball
    6'2" 242 Le'veon Bell
    5'9⅜" 195 Andre Ellington
    5'8½" 215 Stepfan Taylor
    5'9⅛" 186 Kenjon Barner
    6'0" 192 Joseph Randle
    5'10" 205 Johnathan Franklin
    6'0" 220 Knile Davis
    5'9" 213 Dennis Johnson
    5'11" 200 Mike Gillislee
    5'8" 203 Jawan Jamison
    5'9⅜" 186 Ray Graham
    5'11" 210 Christine Michael
    6'0" 215 Cierre Wood
    5'11" 223 Spencer Ware
    5'8" 180 Robbie Rouse
    5'10" 213 Rex Burkhead
    5'10" 215 Michael Ford
    5'8¾" 199 Montel Harris
    5'8¾" 204 Miguel Maysonet
    5'8¼" 192 Kerwynn Williams
    5'8⅛" 211 Zachary Stacy
    5'10⅛" 175 Onterio Mccalebb
    5'8" 185 Chris Thompson

6'0" 232 Marcus Lattimore
  18. Dmoore Esq

Dmoore Esq Member

170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As a MSU and Big 10 fan, I love Bell and Ball. I'm worried about the workload they had during their college career. Bell was MSUs entire offense last year. He's a big strong kid but RBs seem to only have so many carries in them. It wouldn't stop me from drafting either, but I'd have some concerns.
  19. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    If we could get Ball in round 4 I'd be ecstatic. The guy is exactly what we need from a backup RB. Be a perfect fit with he and Dunbar as backups.
  20. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,454 Messages
    612 Likes Received
    Jawan Jamison from Rutgers is worth keeping an eye on. Dynamic runner who will probably be valued as a late 2nd- 3rd rounder.