1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The RB situation

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by jnday, Feb 10, 2013.

1. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Active Member

685 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I would love Ball in the third(Curtis Martin part II)
    I hope he runs a 4.65 to fall that far
  2. theranchsucks

685 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    I honestly believe that if we drafted Ball he would be our starting running back by 2014 because as much as I love DeMarco Murray he really just can't stay healthy. You need to stay healthy to help win football games.
  3. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,254 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    It wouldn't surprise me if they picked one after the first. Murray is injury prone and there is not much behind him. That makes a grand total of 1/2 of a running back on the roster. I look for the oline to be ignored again, so that opens up some draft picks that fans assume would be used with some early picks.
  4. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

12,726 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    We have zero reliable running backs on the roster.

RB is a huge need.
  5. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,661 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    I want to take a shot on either Cierre Wood or Knile Davis. Both have all the talent in the world, but for various reasons never completely lived up to their potential.
  6. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,535 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    a possible late round steal could be Mike Jame of the U.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

20,166 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    The good news is that RB is one the easier postions to fill in for depth.
  8. JerryFan

JerryFan Active Member

1,243 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Something we've actually had luck with in the late rounds. I see us going RB around round 4-5. Maybe 3
  9. DFWJC

20,166 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    Just in general, here are some players that finished in the top 15 in rushing and many near the very top:
    Arian Foster--undrafted
    Alfred Morris--undrafted
    Jamaal Charles--3rd rd
    Ray Rice--2nd rd
    Stevan Ridely--3rd rd
    Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis--undrafted
    Matt Forte--2nd rd
    Ahmad Bradshaw--7th rd
  10. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,742 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    I think Ball in the 2nd is reasonable because I think he can be an every down back in the NFL. I think he would be great value in the 3rd. There are a couple reasons I would love to see us draft him.

1. Before his Junior year, he took it upon himself to get in ridiculous shape in the off-season. Ball had great talent around him that season, but he was spectacular himself. 1923 Yards, 6.3 YPC, 33 TDs and ended up a Heisman finalist. He also showed a ton of ability catching the ball out of the backfield.

2. Last year during his senior campaign Ball faced a ton of pressure and adversity. He basically had to carry the Wisconsin offense. The quarterback play was horrible and the offensive line struggled with several new starters. Several assistant coaches had fled for better jobs which didn't make things any easier. Ball was attacked one night in Madison and didn't have any football contact before the first game of the season due to a concussion. He started the season slow, but ultimately persevered and finished the season very strong. (1830 Yds and 5.1 YPC with 22 Tds)

I think Ball is underrated because he isn't a spectacular athlete on paper. He isn't huge like Leveon Bell or super fast like Barner, but he is a fantastic all-around back. Ball has the ability to break tackles, has a nice stiff arm and enough speed to get to the edge. One thing Ball really has going for him is his vision which is really obvious in his highlights.
    I am interested to see how he does in the combine. I don't expect him to run a blazing fast 40 so his stock could drop to the 3rd round.

I read Mel Kiper had him going to the Bengals in the first round a few weeks ago.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,998 Messages
    4,165 Likes Received
    Morris was a 6th round pick.
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,254 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    I think Garrett will shock some fans with an early pick because of that very reason. By early, I think a third round pick. This is one reason that I started the thread. LB is also a bigger need than most think. Lee and Carter have injury issues and another starting quakity LB will be needed for the 4-3 defense. Damn, this team has too many holes. It is going to take several good drafts to fill them. Free agency is going to be too expensive with the cap situation.
  13. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    give me one of these guys

5'11" 210 Montee Ball
    6'2" 242 Le'veon Bell
    6'0" 220 Knile Davis
    5'10" 213 Rex Burkhead
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,587 Messages
    2,748 Likes Received
    They aren't holes if you're just assuming the starters are going to all get hurt. Every team looks thin if you start projecting their best two starting linebackers and their starting tailback get hurt out of the gate.
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,254 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    The team doesn't have a starting third LB yet and since they are going to a 4-3 I figure they are going to need one along with depth at the position. I would consider that a hole. When you have two starting LBs and you need three it is a problem. When you have players that have never played an entire season, you have to be prepared to treat them as part-time players. If you look at the Cowboys free agents, it strips all depth from some positions.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,587 Messages
    2,748 Likes Received
    Actual holes are, obviously holes. We're going to need to add a SLB. But our ILB depth from last season was actually very good.
  17. DFWJC

20,166 Messages
    806 Likes Received
    Fixed

Just in general, here are some players that finished in the top 15 in rushing and many near the very top:
    Arian Foster--undrafted
    Alfred Morris--6th
    Jamaal Charles--3rd rd
    Ray Rice--2nd rd
    Stevan Ridely--3rd rd
    Ben Jarvis Green-Ellis--undrafted
    Matt Forte--2nd rd
    Ahmad Bradshaw--7th rd
  18. theranchsucks

685 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    You might be pretty surprised then. We have a very good running back in DeMarco Murray but he has missed more games than he has played and there is not much behind him other than two undrafted rbs that no matter what people say, they haven't shown much at all yet. Spot/cleanup duty can make a backup running back look really good untill its time for that person to step up and become a starter.
  19. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,386 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    I really like this RB class. There are a lot of guys who could help us this season that will go rnd 3+.

I like most of the guys listed so far, one guy I'd keep an eye on is Theo Riddick in the late parts of the draft. He won't go high at all, and we could likely take him in rnd 5-6 and he'd add a lot of value as a 3rd down back. He is very versatile, and is a guy Garrett would really like as he can split out wide and be a mismatch and do the things we wanted to see out of Felix. He isn't an every down back, but he could add a lot of value later in the draft.

Analysis
    Strengths
    Slasher with some open-field speed. Flashes a strong cut and acceleration to get through a hole. Has value as a receiver out of the backfield with his experience as a slot man. Freezes linebacker with his wiggle in his route, can adjust to poor throws to bring them in. Willing to lower his pads and lean for the extra yard in short-yardage situations, also not afraid to bring his shoulder or step through a would-be tackler. Runs behind his pads, and keeps his legs churning when hit. Finds a defensive lineman to chip via a thrown shoulder in pass protection.
    Weaknesses
    Longer legs and leaner overall build than many teams prefer in a tailback. Upright runner who doesn’t tuck the ball away in the open field. Gets himself off-balance with too much dancing in space. Stands up to blitzers in pass protection but won’t anchor against stronger linebackers.
    NFL Comparison
    Bernard Scott
    Bottom Line
    Riddick made some plays as an inside receiver in his sophomore (40 catches, 414 yards, 3 TD) and junior (38-436, 3 TD) seasons, but the former all-state running back from New Jersey returned to his natural position for his senior year, while also seeing snaps at receiver when Cierre Wood was in. Riddick's chess piece potential will likely earn him a draftable grade.
  20. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,336 Messages
    413 Likes Received
    Good call. Forgot about Riddick. Good player.