1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The reason DeCastro could be gone a lot earlier than expected

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by gimmesix, Mar 24, 2012.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,436 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    I think the rookie cap changes the way teams look at the draft. Before, you didn't draft positions like guard early because you didn't want to pay them top-10 money. That was reserved for the premium positions.

I think we still get caught up in that way of thinking while teams simply are now looking for the best player regardless of position because they no longer are making such a major financial commitment.
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    This doesn't change the fact that guard still isnt a premium position and teams will continue to value other positions more than OG..
  3. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,900 Messages
    4,465 Likes Received
    I think its not a premium position and you can find guards that are 'good enough' to win with later on. The best DBs, QBs, DL, OT, WRs, rushers go early. That pushes the interior line down.
  4. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,436 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    The difference, though, is if there is a guard worth taking, a team doesn't have to commit major money to him to grab him in the top 10. Obviously, QBs, top DEs, top LTs, etc., are still going to be taken ahead of a top G. But I don't think it necessarily holds any longer that a lesser player at those positions will go before a superior guard.

If DeCastro has a top-10 grade, then a team can feel comfortable taking him in the top 10 because of the rookie cap.
  5. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,126 Messages
    902 Likes Received
    Guards don't go in the top 15 because guards in the draft aren't as good as DeCastro. The best guard prospect in a decade does go in the top 15.
  6. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,444 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Despite the outcry for DeCastro at 14, I'd be shocked....I just don't see the Cowboys ever taking an OG that high...never.
  7. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Mike Iupati went #17 to the Niners in 2010 and the Cowboys were interested in trading up for him. Three spots are that much of a difference?

Plus, DeCastro is considered a much better prospect than when Iupati was coming out of school.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,900 Messages
    4,465 Likes Received
    Several HOF guards have gone in the first and a few in the top ten so there is no reason not to draft the guy early if you think he's that good. Just as many have come later although there's more early than late. I wouldn't be upset at all taking him at 14 esp in this draft where there is no clear cut rusher or CB available to us that is really low risk. Kalil, Claiborne and Decastro may be the least risky players in the draft although I'd put Luck very near them.

So if you think he's a Hannah, Munchak, Matthews or Upshaw then you should draft him even moving up for him if you have to. You can't put him in that category for a few years if at all but he fits the profile.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    Now someone has to explain to me how G isn't a premium position.

They look pretty important on gameday.
  10. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Tony Romo's ribs asks the same question. It's rare when Romo has enough time to step into a clean pocket.
  11. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,514 Messages
    9,683 Likes Received
    It'll never make sense to me. I think the OL has five premium positions. Now you don't have to have a stud at all five spots but if you do find a really good player anywhere along the OL, that guy is an impact player.
  12. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  13. GloryDaysRBack

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Of course all the arm chair scouts disagree w all the real scouts and GMs..

Guard = not premium
  14. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    You can get away with one, MAYBE two average offensive linemen, but the Cowboys were horrific on the ENTIRE interior OL last year.

Kosier, Holland, Costa? That is atrocious.

Just get a new center and we should be okay.
  15. GloryDaysRBack

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Giants offensive line is far from stellar

Packers offensive line is probably even worse

Steelers offensive line was also horrendous

Let's not get out of hand..sure, it's important to have a good oline. It doesn't require 4/5 positions to be 1st round picks
  16. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Definitely not first round picks. The draft is basically a crapshoot, and like any other positions, you can find talent at any point in the draft.
  17. GloryDaysRBack

9,468 Messages
    838 Likes Received
    Exactly..which is the point.. This draft is incredibly deep at guard..we can find a heck of a player in the 2nd rd as well
  18. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,077 Messages
    1,936 Likes Received
    I personally think DeCastro wil be there at #14.
  19. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    I don't see DeCastro making it past Seattle at 12. It is a position of need in Seattle after letting Gallery go, and DeCastro grew up 12 miles from Qwest Field.
  20. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Well-Known Member

2,564 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    Packers whole interior line was Pro Bowlers, weren't they? The Giants line were terrible, except down the stretch just like their defense.