The safety position in this draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by tm1119, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

7,164 Messages
    7,157 Likes Received
    Eddie Jackson or Tedric Thompson would be good from my view in the cheap seats.

gmoney112 likes this.
  2. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

2,105 Messages
    544 Likes Received
    You got to be careful with Alabama prospects (especially secondary) but I liked what I have seen of Eddie Jackson as well. Just going off highlights, he has good size, seems to make plays on the ball and is a good returner. How is his knee rehab going? I am sure playing with that front 7 really helps, but he looks the part on highlights.

3. baltcowboy

baltcowboy Active Member

225 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    I don't know who will it be, but I think Peppers, Obi, or Evans might be are first pick. Safety is the only spot on the team that we need a starter. Can they wait to the 60th pick?

4. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

8,250 Messages
    7,372 Likes Received
    It's been said by many that his work in the Indy Combine was by far the main reason for his upward trend in the ratings. There's no shortage of scouts that believe he's a much better athlete than a football player. It's just something to consider that really gives me pause. He's raw. Will further development and experience make him a much better pro player? It's hard to say, although there are those who think it's possible.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    visionary likes this.
  5. dogunwo

dogunwo Franchise Tagged Zone Supporter

8,418 Messages
    3,294 Likes Received
    Broaddus doesn't like him. So according to what you told me before, he will be a borderline HOFer.

6. dogunwo

dogunwo Franchise Tagged Zone Supporter

8,418 Messages
    3,294 Likes Received
    I wonder how upset fans would be if we went S in the 1st, then CB in the 2nd. I wouldn't be all that upset, I dont want to pick a DE just for the sake of picking one if they dont think the value is there.

Macnalty, waving monkey and Bullflop like this.
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

11,001 Messages
    3,864 Likes Received
    Tedric Thompson is going to be a huge steal.

gmoney112 likes this.
  8. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

11,001 Messages
    3,864 Likes Received
    Been said by many here. But to be fair, a lot of people liked what they saw from Obi before the combine.

I think you put him at SS and he's going to be excellent in the pros. Cover TEs and make strong tackles. I don't agree with the common knowledge on the board that his instincts are lacking. I watch his games and see someone who attacks. I think he can be overly cautious at times, but then again, his job is literally to be a 'safety'.

Bullflop likes this.
  9. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

5,369 Messages
    2,470 Likes Received
    With the Blanton signing I can definitely see us passing on S early in the draft now. I think it's Heath's job to lose and they seem to like Frazier. Blanton adds a veteran presence with starting experience. Obviously value always trumps when drafting, but I can see Jones, Heath and Blanton with a 6th rounder competing with Frazier to round out the position

10. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

8,250 Messages
    7,372 Likes Received
    Man coverage on TEs and big receivers is something he does when he's at his best. Inconsistent tackling is something that worries most of those who tend to complain about his hesitation. Is that a product of being raw or will he develop more confidence with added experience? That's the question that he will be obliged to answer in the pros. It wouldn't set well if he continued to hesitate as a SS in pro ball. He's a risk in that sense.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  11. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

16,663 Messages
    2,990 Likes Received

But is he a gym rat?

12. NotForLong

NotForLong Active Member

203 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    I was thinking the same exact thing. That the sheer number of available talent will have teams waiting. But this is a passing league and teams need 4, 5 even six good Cbs

13. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

6,527 Messages
    901 Likes Received
    I love the podcast, "Trust the Tape". Brugler, Cavanaugh, Broaddus, Helman....all those guys have the same feeling on Melonfonwu. He's a third round guy on tape. I would pick him with our third round pick....no higher.

If he's not there....big deal. I'll find another player.

BoysfanfromNY and stilltheguru88 like this.
  14. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

5,369 Messages
    2,470 Likes Received
    I still think Marcus Maye is very underrated. We may have to take him at 60 but I would be ok with that. He has a nice blend or coverage and physicality to his game when most of the safeties in this class have 1 or the other. Gotta love the Florida safety pedigree too. 11 forced turnovers as a starter at Florida as well.

15. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

2,105 Messages
    544 Likes Received
    Quincy Wilson was interviewed o
    quincy Wilson was interviewed on the move the sticks podcast a few weeks ago. They were real impressed with the maturity of Wilson (his dad played in NFL I believe). Anyway when asked who was the leader in the secondary, Wilson said it was Maye. Just something to keep in the back of your mind

tm1119 likes this.
  16. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

11,001 Messages
    3,864 Likes Received
    Yeah, big fan.

17. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

7,468 Messages
    5,024 Likes Received
    It's a huge need and if the quality is there I'll buy

18. Floaty

Floaty The Labeled One

5,360 Messages
    3,028 Likes Received
    Sign me up as well....2/60 is a little rich for me.....but I don't see him lasting long in the 3rd. You might be forced to make it work....but I could live w/ it. @ least your getting an eventual starter in year 1 IMO.;)

19. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

3,824 Messages
    2,906 Likes Received
    For me it's hooker Adams and everyone else and then peppers. Most overhyped overrated player in this draft

20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

36,507 Messages
    19,379 Likes Received
    That left a mark:laugh: