1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Saints just gained 630 yards of offense in an NFL playoff game

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by The30YardSlant, Jan 7, 2012.

1. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've never, ever, ever seen an offense that is as "on" as the Saints right now. They are unfathomably efficient. Every single offensive unit is just dominant.

It is truly entertaining to watch them play. Sean Payton and Drew Brees are just amazing.
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,380 Messages
    2,795 Likes Received
    That offensive line they've constructed pretty much allows that offense to do whatever they want.

I also love how they just line up and go wide open on every route. Our offense seems like it's slow and lumbering compared to theirs. Brees will drop back, fake a hand off, and unload for a 20 yard gain without so much as going through his reads.

Good stuff to watch...hoping that we get there with improved o-line play.
  3. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,838 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    My pick for the SB and they did it while Brees was harassed all night.
  4. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,040 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    And they didn't even have Lance Moore.
  5. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,848 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    I am in awe. If you love football, you have to appreciate what they are doing right now.

I think they win the Super Bowl.
  6. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Part of it is Brees being the most accurate passer in the game and part of it is Payton being a much better offensive mind than Jason Garrett. Brees can fit balls in that Romo can't and Payton calls games in a way Garrett has yet to show the ability to.
  7. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,848 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    If anything, watching the Saints confirms the need for guys like DeCastro and going after Nicks in FA.

Oh yeah. Let's get LaMichael James while we are at it. He can be our Sproles.
  8. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    The Saints have a great group of WRs who have been playing in that system for a long time.

Compare that to us where every year Romo's targets at WR change

2006: TO, Glenn and Crayton
    2007: TO, Crayton and Hurd
    2008: TO, Crayton and Roy Williams
    2009: Roy Williams, Miles Austin and Patrick Crayton
    2010: Miles Austin, Roy Williams and Dez Bryant
    2011: Miles Austin, Dez Bryant and Laurent Robinson

I think there is a good chance that Robinson is gone via FA and Romo will have a new #3.

It seems like Brees has been throwing to Henderson, Meachem, Colston and Lance Moore for a long time.

NO's GM is a revelation compared to what we have.

We'll never be able to compete with them until our talent acquisition process is markedly improved. They've put together an OL or Pro Bowlers with a bunch of low picks. They got a Pro Bowl LT out of the 4th round and he's only in his 3rd season whereas many other teams have drafted guys in the top 5 who haven't made it yet.
  9. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,848 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    Hopefully Garrett gets better over time, then.
  10. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,357 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    But Jerry Jones scoffed at the idea of Payton taking on a head coaching job, and Parcells said he was too caffeinated, and had far too may "Jap" plays in his playbook.

Surely our braintrust couldn't have been wrong about him.
  11. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,357 Messages
    213 Likes Received
    He's been at it for 5 years. How much more time do ya think he needs?
  12. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,351 Messages
    1,209 Likes Received
    But we don't need anymore skill players, or so we have been told.
  13. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,848 Messages
    254 Likes Received
    I dont agree with that sentiment at all.
  14. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    It isn't so much that we don't need anymore. We definitely need CBs. I think the issue is how we use resources to strengthen a team with a tonne of huge holes on the roster - DL, OL, LB and secondary.

As for our offensive skill players, we have just not had stability in our skilled players because they have constantly changed at the WR position. Look at the connection that Romo and Witten have - that's the benefit of stability.

None of our current top 3 WRs have more than about 2 years of work with Romo as a starter: Austin (12 + 4 + 10 = 26), Dez (15), Robinson (10). Romo doesn't have the experience with them to know exactly how they run their routes and how they are going to adjust to the coverage. That takes time to develop.

The problem with Robinson is that he played himself out of our price range for a #3 WR. He has an extensive injury history and a very short period of good play. Given that #1 and #2 are locked down here and we have multiple holes on our roster and are right up against the cap, we may not be able to compete for his services on the open market unless we are willing to trade Austin away. I actually think Austin is the better player so I disagree with making that move and trading him now is when his value is at its lowest.

In all honesty, we'll be a great offense with Dez, Austin and a JAG at #3 so long as we fix the OL. Keeping more cap space available by not going overboard in trying to re-sign Robinson makes it easier to compete in FA for a starting OG.

Anyhow, this is basically Jerry Jones' fault for the contract he signed Robinson to. Robinson had no leverage as a street FA and we could have easily made him sign a 3-year deal at min salary but we didn't.
  15. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,652 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    I like Robinson, but I hope they don't panic and lock themselves to him with a big cap crippling contract, IMO, whey gotta be prudent and build up the trenches above all and ASAP
  16. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We don't if we resign LR.
  17. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Totallly disagree with the above sentiment that all we need at WR is Miles & Dez and JAG as our #3 WR. In today's NFL & with constant concern about injuries, we must have at least 3 quality WRs. If we had JAG as our #3 WR this year, we'd probably have ended up with a top 5 pick in the upcoming draft. Now that wouldn't be so bad if we could be assured the Cowboy great minds would draft well, but that is doubtful given our past recent efforts.
  18. redfog

redfog New Member

186 Messages
    0 Likes Received

half of those yards are contributed by the sorry *** Lions' D
  19. Dmoore Esq

Dmoore Esq Member

170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think they utilize their personnel extremely well. I think we have a lot of talented weapons, but it just goes to show you what it looks like to be a truly great offense. Improving the line play will help, but I would like to add a couple of skill players. Not looking for any studs, but just some guys with unique skill sets that can find a place in our offense.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,686 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Our offensive skill players are top 5 in the NFL. ROMO, Murray, Jones, Witten, Miles, Dez, LR. It is the O line that is holding us back; NO showed that graphically this year.