1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Sean Payton Bowl

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by tecolote, Dec 18, 2012.

1. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,763 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    I was thinking about this earlier today, first of all, I've been a Jason Garrett critic and wanted him gone, but these past two weeks he has shown a lot of the promise that his supporters said he had, I loved it and the crow tasted great. I now think he deserves to stay.

Having said that, if Dallas somehow loses the next two and Sean Payton is available, there would probably be some temptation for Jerry to sign him.

So my question is this, if you were a Saints fan, why would you want to win this game? If NO loses to Dallas they take away Payton's main leverage in contract negotiations and get a better draft spot to boot.
  2. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Two games, he deserves to stay? man, it's easy to turn heads in this place... Do you think, if Sean Payton or some other competent coach, it would have taken him this long to attack the seams of a defense off of play-action? The talent on this team is right where it needs to be, to at least be a play-off team and make some noise.
  3. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,429 Messages
    1,476 Likes Received
    I bet a lot of Saints fans do feel that way, and I can't say I would blame them either. Look at the difference in their team without him.
  4. tecolote

1,763 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    Hey, I liked what I saw. But there are two games left, if he craps the bed, and of course I hope he does not, everyone will turn on him again.
  5. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,655 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I thought about that last week too..... do they tank this game on purpose? The more JG wins the more secure he is.
  6. Hostile

118,429 Messages
    1,476 Likes Received
    Makes me want to go on Saints forums and float the idea so the Nawlins media jumps all over it.

:grin:
  7. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Remember how the problem was bad route running and no talent on the OL and Dez Bryant not being able to digest the playbook, and every other factor, besides JG?

And his critics, who are suppose to be idiots, have been saying it all throughout his tenure, the issue has been his poor play-calling. So if all the non football geniuses, as the homers of JG, like to allude to have been calling for it, why should JG get a pass suddenly because of actually one game where they looked decent coming out the gates and he finally looked competent in calling plays?

If he craps the bed, he should be gone, plain and simple, whether Payton is here or not. If he stumbles into the playoffs on the back of crappy play-calling, but Romo pushing up-tempo like he normally does, then he should be ousted.

If, on the other hand, they look like they did against the Steelers, where one can say, finally the play-calling has made an impact, then I agree, he deserves another shot. But his body of work so far clearly doesn't deserve another shot.

Again, any decent coach, with this talent, should be able to get in the play-offs and make noise.
  8. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,655 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Do it!!

:bow:
  9. tecolote

1,763 Messages
    502 Likes Received
    Go for it Hos.
  10. cajuncocoa

cajuncocoa Bleeding silver and blue Zone Supporter

2,319 Messages
    307 Likes Received
  11. Hostile

118,429 Messages
    1,476 Likes Received
    Username waiting for activation...ninja mode.
  12. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,432 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Garrett.isn't.getting.fired
  13. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,966 Messages
    1,695 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
  14. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

762 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    Lord knows I have been one of the biggest critics of Redball, but I think he has already convinced Jerry to keep him at least til end of his contract. They have played well enough and have appeared to be a team now that Jerry could back him up now. The team has not quit on Garrett and that is the key. Of course, Ryan has also worked miracles with what he has to work with.

so even if they lose the next two games----Garrett will remain. Give him credit, these 5 out of 6 wins in the last games has him back. I am more a Cowboys fan than a Garrett fan, so as long as the team wins I'm happy and will still root for them.
  15. Hostile

118,429 Messages
    1,476 Likes Received
    Tank4Payton accepted. Thread about to launch.
  16. Hostile

118,429 Messages
    1,476 Likes Received
  17. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And I don't buy this "the team has not quit on Garrett". What drives this team when it's down is the guy behind the center, i.e. Tony Romo. Tony Romo, the majority of this season, took the reins with up-tempo and hurry up, keeping his team in it.

The team doesn't quit on Tony Romo, despite coming out flat for the majority of their games. I still remember the second Philly game when the Eagles scored twice in teh 3rd to take the lead, only to have Romo have to make plays with his feet, on a 3rd and long, with an amazing pass to Miles Austin keeping the drive alive which actually put the Cowboys back up. They effectively looked dead, but tehn, up-tempo hurry with Romo saved the day.
  18. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I agree for now. I'll wait to assess this at the end of the [post] season though. I haven't seen anything from him that makes him standout as a coach other than his obvious blunders. I am happy right now to an extent, because we're still in it. But we should have never lost that Thanksgiving Day game. We should be leading the division right now.
  19. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
  20. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,365 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    If we stay hot and make a run in the playoffs, that would give Jerry enough to keep JG. In that scenario I expect Sean Payton to return.

I think that's all Sean is waiting for. As soon as he knows about the Cowboy's decision he'll make his. And not until then. No way does Sean resign a contract with N.O. before.