1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The shelf life of this franchise's fame

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Blitzen32, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Interesting article from Buck Harvey in San Antonio yesterday questioning just how long this mediocre team can remain popular. I know many people wanted the Niners to lose due to the Super Bowl count, but I'm not sure how anyone can reasonably expect Dallas to be bad for close to 20 years and other teams just to pause and wait on us to get better in the meantime. Here are some highlights from the article:

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...-shelf-life-of-fame-4250793.php#ixzz2K6BRp4V6
  2. Boyzmamacita

Boyzmamacita The Ultimate Cowbabe Zone Supporter

14,153 Messages
    1,272 Likes Received
    The popularity of the Cowboys isn't going anywhere. Haters will just have to deal with it. Lebron's generation of Cowboys fans is teaching their kids to love the silver and blue. Some of those kids might end up hating the Cowboys because of it. But that's what makes the Cowboys America's Team - the fact that you either love them or hate them, but you care.
  3. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,021 Messages
    1,318 Likes Received
    As long as the media obsesses with everything Cowboys related, probably never.
  4. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I think it's time the media write 1,000,000,000 more space filler articles about how nobody cares about the Cowboys anymore.
  5. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

935 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    For many years, people blindly bought GM inspite of the quality.

Until 2008.

It took awhile, but the Raiders are not as popular as they used to be.

Lots of things in business take a long time before the reckoning, but it usually does.

If the Cowboys remain mediocre, it will catch up.
  6. gbrittain

gbrittain Well-Known Member

5,094 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Romo, an all around good guy, made Forbes top 10 most disliked athletes???

Yeah...not worried about franchise's shelf life on fame quite yet.
  7. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,879 Messages
    2,026 Likes Received
    To the young, the Cowboys are somewhat irrelevant.

Once upon a time, the Browns were the loved/hated team. Now where are they?
  8. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    How long was it for the yankess when they sucked and sucked and sucked for a long time. The Boston Celtics went from what larry until about what 5 years ago before they won a title.

What ever
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    And while we're at it, what ever happened to Chubby Checker? And who put the bomp In the bomp bah bomp bah bomp and the put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?
  10. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Only 5 of the 49ers starting 22 are over 30 ... wow.
  11. phildominator

phildominator Member

679 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I hope our fame dies. I'm not a fan of this team because of fame. When the fame dies, then maybe we can concentrate on football.

Right now, we're more known for stadium artwork, go-go dancers, Jerrytron, drunk drivers and Jessica Simpson.
  12. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,809 Messages
    1,869 Likes Received
    I agree.

I guess most fans are generational like myself.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,517 Messages
    3,819 Likes Received
    It's difficult for someone like me to contemplate what some might be thinking as I've been a Cowboys' fan so long I'll take it to the grave. But I could see some recent fans getting discouraged and jumping ship.

When I think of this I wonder about how I could be a Red Sox fan since 1960. Or how do Cubs' fans endure?

I suspect most true fans will just get angry rather than leave like many here are. I imagine the fan base may not grow as fast as it would if we continue to lose though.
  14. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

935 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    The article I'm about to mention was probably before the internet, so can't link it. :(

Fans of the Redskins, Broncos, Cowboys tend to be hard on their teams because they were the first pro team in their area - nothing else to root for.

It was not until the mid 80's before the Mavericks made the playoffs, and then the late 90's before non-Cowboy teams made the playoffs.

So fans in this area tend to have an emotional investment in the Cowboys.

Same is true of the NY Yankees, Notre Dame...
  15. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,037 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    TV is the great equalizer. Thousands go to games but millions watch. That is why there are Cowboy fans coast to coast.
  16. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    I'd rather be good than popular.
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,130 Messages
    4,328 Likes Received
    :thumbup:
  18. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,399 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    This is easily the best answer thus far.

I lived in NE before the Pats were a regular playoff team, during the Celtics drop off, before the Red Sox became a contender... ( I used to tease the folks saying their grandparents dont remember a Red Sox championship).

In order fans I saw most... Sox, Bruins, Pats, Celtics.

My thought was really? no die hard Celtics fans ? Best NBA franchise in history ?
  19. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,239 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    There is no shelf life, it goes on and on like time. Why would anyone pay attention to an article with something like that.
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    I really couldn't care less about the teams popularity. Who cares how much money Jerry laces his pockets with every year? The only benefit to the fans has been more nationally televised games, which means nothing if you can afford Sunday Ticket.