1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Steelers' "zero tolerance" policy?

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by TheWarrenReport, Jan 10, 2013.

1. TheWarrenReport

TheWarrenReport Member

130 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So, the The Pittsburgh Steelers have waived *rookie* running back Chris Rainey just hours after he was arrested (not convicted, mind you), "charged with one count of simple battery (dating violence)," yet Pro Bowl quarterback Ben Roethlisberger who has been named in two separate, sexual assault charges remains on the team. Doesn't that sort of destroy the team's zero-tolerance claims? Of course, the team will point to Rainey's collegiate arrest for misdemeanor stalking as the reason for their hard-line stance, but Big Ben had already been named in a civil suit before the more egregious sexual assault case came to light in Georgia, adding they wanted to allow justice to be decided by the cops and the courts. So, do the Rooneys believe in the legal system or the star system?
  2. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,318 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    Money talks
  3. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Active Member

935 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    I don't think Roethlisberger was ever arrested but i do see your point.....
  4. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

4,917 Messages
    886 Likes Received
    Zero tolerance policies are imposed on replaceable players only. Jimmy Johnson had the same beliefs I believe.
  5. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,272 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    They cut a 4th string running back. That is not much of a statement move.
  6. TheWarrenReport

TheWarrenReport Member

130 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes, but I don't believe Jimmy ever pretended that he was imposing some ethically unimpeachable policy.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,789 Messages
    1,593 Likes Received
    My guess is that terms of his contract emphasized this stuff, and any sniff of a violation would get this result.

Without due process, it seems unfair. But I (or we) have no idea if he has done other stuff this year like miss meetings or get in fights with teammates or whatever.
  8. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,272 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    My guess is that the Steelers have 3 guys they like better than him and another in Baron Batch who was on injured reserve this year who is very similar to him in size and skillset. Perhaps Rainey will start sporting a "He Hate Me" jersey.
  9. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,397 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    sounds like the Organization is hiding behind that rule, which obviously doesn't apply to star players of theirs, to do what they wanted to do anyway, release him. Total garbage, they should just be honest about it and not try to act like they have holier than thou standards...when as Rothlisbooger has proven don't apply to franchise players.
  10. IAMKING

IAMKING Benched

1,253 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    All players are not equal you should know this
  11. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They're really good at the PR side. If history is any indication, he'll be re-signed quietly after the hubbub dies. They've done it before and they'll do it again.
  12. bigE79

bigE79 Active Member

2,414 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Don't forget james harrison beating up his wife or girlfriend...stealers are so two faced.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received

Charges were filed against him. Charges were settled out of court.
  14. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,070 Messages
    486 Likes Received
    you cant just listen, you have to see, America wants to be the forerunner on this, "everyone is equal " and we mean that, reality is "everyone is equal just some are more equal" and dont you forget that.
  15. Shunpike

Shunpike Active Member

679 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    They also gave away Holmes to Jets for practically nothing.
  16. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They still got the better end of that deal he was a lazy player. They gave away Buress for nothing let him walk.
  17. Irving Cowboy

Irving Cowboy The Chief

1,566 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    It's called "selective enforcement". It's a very effective tool to motivate people.
  18. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,506 Messages
    901 Likes Received
    Only after 3 arrests, .. but the final straw for Holmes was when Roththeraper hit the news with his second rape at the same time Holmes was arrested for the 3rd time.

Couldn't have both players in the news, so they got rid of Holmes.

The steelers have like the 3rd most arrests of any NFL team since 2007.

Even Stealy McBeam, the mascot, got arrested DUI. LOL:laugh2:
    So did their kicker! How many kickers get arrrested? :laugh2:

But the steelers are the media darlings and can do no wrong.:rolleyes:
  19. TheWarrenReport

TheWarrenReport Member

130 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, now that Rainey's girlfriend said no assault took place, does the Stelers organization apologize to their player or re-sign him or just move on as if nothing ever happened... as, allegedly, nothing ever happened?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...raineys-girlfriend-says-no-assault-took-place
  20. TheWarrenReport

TheWarrenReport Member

130 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sadly, you may very well be right about that, CCF.