1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

***The Super Duper Swag Johnny Football teen beat thread***

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by IAmLegend, May 27, 2013.

1. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,142 Messages
    2,986 Likes Received
    I said off the field. He was in danger of getting suspended before the season for his antics. He was kicked out of the Manning football camp for other antics. There are stories of his on campus antics being covered up by A&M.
  2. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,193 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    I missed that line. Definitely agree w his character issues. That part is a crapshoot. Whether he will ever mature or not. But he's too damn good to pass up
  3. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,887 Messages
    608 Likes Received
    He won't make it to our pick, but you better believe Jerry would run the card up to the podium himself if he did.
  4. xwalker

10,142 Messages
    2,986 Likes Received
    It's not like there are not questions about his physical ability and on-field development as an NFL QB also.

In general, the NFL minimizes the impact of athletic running QBs and requires much much more mental ability than college. Also, he is small and has questionable NFL caliber arm strength.

I'm not saying that he can't be good/great, but it is a very high risk. It's not like taking a chance on a guy with a questionable mental makeup like Clowney that has unquestioned elite NFL size and athletic ability.
  5. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,271 Messages
    1,182 Likes Received
    Oh my, this reeks of exactly Jones would want...a QB controversy...EVERYONE, and I mean everyone in the media would be talking about this from the minute they draft him until a starter is named...everyone with the cowboys on their lips...as many have said, I don't think his game translates extremely well to the NFL game....I wouldn't want him and his off-field issues in Dallas...he is a distraction and on Dallas, would be a HUGE distraction in so many ways....just imagine a game where Tony throws any pick...the signs for this brat will be all over the place....no thank you....
  6. GloryDaysRBack

9,193 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    You guys are acting like he's a running QB that can't throw. The guy had 4 games with 400+ yards of passing. He's a scrambler for sure...but he can throw the ball from the pocket
  7. xwalker

10,142 Messages
    2,986 Likes Received
    No, that's not what I'm saying.

His throwing is made easier in college because of the threat of him running. The NFL is much better at taking away the running threat. If you study some A&M games, some defenses hold their pass rusher back in order to contain his running threat. Also, the offense that he is running is not anywhere near as complicated as NFL offenses.
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,813 Messages
    888 Likes Received
    No chance. Too many bad teams drafting in front of Dallas have tickets to sell. He'll be gone by 17.
    pjtoadie likes this.
  9. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

2,736 Messages
    845 Likes Received

Elli needs to go to the Johnny Football Camp this year.
  10. IAmLegend

2,887 Messages
    608 Likes Received
    Let's not forget that he was playing Duke last night... Too many knee-jerk reactions.
    Titleist and CaptainCreed like this.
  11. GloryDaysRBack

9,193 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Yeah. Go watch his tape vs Bama.

Not once.

Twice.

Nice try though
    pjtoadie likes this.
  12. IAmLegend

2,887 Messages
    608 Likes Received
    And you go back and watch his tape vs LSU and Mizzou where he looked horrible. And how many of those passing yards against Bama were literally just lob passes to Mike Evans where he went up and made a play? 200+ of them. That doesn't work in the NFL, at least not consistently. I also remember him throwing 2 costly INT's in that game too. The backyard style of football that he plays won't fly in the NFL either. Defenses are too fast and DB's can actually cover. Johnny Manziel is a really good college QB, I'm not saying he's not, but that doesn't mean much in terms of transitioning to the NFL, hence why so many great college QB's are duds in the NFL. He's a good player, but one of the most overhyped players in CFB history as well because he's exciting to watch, but people are buying too much into the media hype imo.
  13. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,559 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    The kid is a winner. I'd take him even though I truly believe a NFL QB needs to be at least 6'3" and close to 230 lbs (Russell Wilson is the exception).

I just think this a horrible environment here for Manziel. Jerry Jones' lack of accountability and Jason Garrett's lack of creativity.
  14. GloryDaysRBack

9,193 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Drew Brees makes a living throwing jump balls
  15. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

700 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Certainly has a better chance than Tebow, because he can actually throw the ball, and throw it pretty darn good. His main drawbacks from what I see are he's a bit small, and running QB's just don't last long in the NFL.
  16. Lodeus

Lodeus Well-Known Member

2,969 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    If he relies on his running ability too much I cant see him lasting a full season in the NFL. Even with the scrambling around and getting hit. But he can pass so that is a big positive.
  17. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,271 Messages
    1,182 Likes Received
    c'mon, RG3-13 did well as a runni....

oh wait
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  18. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,844 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    Manziel is scary because he will likely get hurt but this guy is Russ Wilson in talent.

Off-field and size drop him to us and insane holes everywhere plus commitment to Romo means we likely pass him too IMHO.
  19. Fritsch_the_cat

Fritsch_the_cat Well-Known Member

700 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Agreed 100%. The Jerry factor is high with this. Manziel is entertaining to watch, so Jerry might not be able to pass up adding a new act to the circus. He would have to hock the farm to get him though. But I never put anything past JJ and his showman mentality.
  20. rags747

rags747 Active Member

988 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Would love to have Manziel. Gil Brandt was on Sirius this am, said the he will be a top 10 pick. Said the he was told by a good friend that runs a qb camp that Manziel is just a shade under 6 foot. Brees coming out was 6' 1/8". I think the kid is a winner, unfortunately we need DL in the worst way...So very tempting though.