1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The theory that Garretts offense restricts Romo

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hoov, Sep 20, 2013.

1. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Because the line is why we look garbage now. Ok guy.
  2. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,130 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    Who is we. Apparently tony romo was not adverse to Garrett and Callahan.
  3. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,130 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    Romo scrambling was never a designed play. Therefore it was not and should not be a play in the play book. You don't draw up a play with the hope that no one will be open so romo can run for his life and hope to find broken coverage
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,843 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    And it's not like the pocket has collapsed on Romo everytime he has gone back to pass for the last 7 years.
  5. tecolote

tecolote Well-Known Member

1,850 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Garrett has been a mediocre coach and Tony is a very good QB. I hope Garrett can "suddenly" become a good head coach because usually you need a good QB/HC combo to go far in the NFL.

Roger had Landry, Troy had Jimmy and Tony has had Wade and Garrett, that tells you everything you need to know.
    GoCowboysGo likes this.
  6. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,127 Messages
    559 Likes Received
    That simply didn't happen. Give me a break. In what world do you honestly envision Romo walking into Jones' office and undercutting his head coach?
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,102 Messages
    2,222 Likes Received
    true. And his top 5 numbers over that span prove it.

As for this year, some need to take note that its been only two games and the QB has played hurt 3/4 of that time.
    I really don't know how it's going to go. But I do think the line is better, I do think Dez turned the corner last year, and I do think the defense will give the Oline better field position as the year progresses. Because of this, I have some hope.
  8. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,090 Messages
    305 Likes Received
    I agree.

Romo has to take some direct, honest for once, close scrutiny.

If we get beat this week..I think letting Orton give it a shot is a real option to begin considering.

Just saying.
    CowboyFan74 likes this.
  9. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    So he's scarred for life? Awwwww if only Aaron Rodgers were that mentally weak when his line has been worse for years. Sickening excuses
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,843 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    I don't know how anyone could be certain one way or the other.

The only thing that is certain is Garrett wasn't getting the job done and they stripped him of his duties.

I personally think the only reason we didnt completely switch systems is because they probably are worried about how long it would take Dez to grasp another Offense.
    Chocolate Lab likes this.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,249 Messages
    4,192 Likes Received

Fixed it for you. :) J/K-I got the point.

If you look at the points scored since Garrett has been here then it doesn't look great looking past the first 12 games of 2007. I definitely need to see things go better.
    tecolote likes this.
  12. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,224 Messages
    1,246 Likes Received
    He has been playing with bruised ribs so that has to factor in. His pocket awareness has been sub-par so far and I hope it improves.
  13. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,130 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    In proving a theory right or wrong you have to take in everything that you dont know to be fact as a possibility. The fact is that Romo's contract was up. He signed a new contract that simultaneously came with an announcement from Jerry Jones that Romo was going to have more input to game planning. Shortly after the announcement came that Callahan would be the play caller.

Since i was not present, i cant definitively deny the possibility that Romo had complained to Jerry about Jasons play calling. If that happened and jerry wanted to keep Jason and Romo he may have suggested to Tony that Tony would have more input and then that may have influenced a switch to Callahan calling plays from the booth.

However, this may not be the case at all. I just cant disprove it.
  14. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,130 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    And Norv has not done much since then. So did Troy achieve greatness despite Norv. Troy even won a superbowl under switzer who let everything unravel as far as team discipline. Playing under switzer had to be difficult.
  15. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,130 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    You cant really completely switch systems without firing the coach who installed them. If Garrett is not capable of being a head coach running his own system, how can he run a completely different one that he is not versed in ?
  16. jobberone

38,249 Messages
    4,192 Likes Received
    Norv can run a great vertical offense. The issue is you have to have the personnel to run it. You need to be able to run the ball particularly up the middle. You have to have a good armed and pretty accurate QB who has WRs who can run proper routes, you have to have two WRs who can go deep, and at least one TE who can play from multiple positions.

Look at our offense and you can quickly see what we are missing.
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,843 Messages
    2,046 Likes Received
    Head coaches bring in new coordinators all the time that don't use their system.
  18. jobberone

38,249 Messages
    4,192 Likes Received
    Some HCs are not into being an OC or DC. Many have an overall philosophy though; say like Parcells.
  19. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,130 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    I dont think guys that are offensive minded head coaches who have called their own plays do. Andy Reid wouldnt and i dont think Garrett will. A defensive minded coach may bring in an established offensive coordinator and allow him to install a new system. A head coach that has never been the offensive playcaller might. But I just dont see it happening here.
  20. jobberone

38,249 Messages
    4,192 Likes Received
    Agree.