1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The theory that Garretts offense restricts Romo

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hoov, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,716 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    So your saying romo is not accurate ?

j/k - obviously the run game.
    jobberone likes this.
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,127 Messages
    2,734 Likes Received
    Jerry told Romo he was a ingredient of the special sauce.
  3. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,013 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    Well at one point Romo was one of the deadliest QB out of the pocket. We used to run play action alot during the day when Garrett wasn't here. Romo's biggest plays also came from broken coverage.

This offense has restricted Romo from what he does best. It has made him a pocket passer.
    ohiocowboysfan25 and Smith22 like this.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

34,974 Messages
    2,555 Likes Received
    That's a biggie but also som don't run routes as well as we'd like. Also Dez is more like TO than Irvin although he's a lot more like Irvin than TO was. Does that make sense?
  5. Smith22

Smith22 Well-Known Member

5,683 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    Yep. We have become a pass happy shotgun offense. I think over 70% of our plays came from shotgun last week. No threat of running and a severe lack of playaction. The draw that worked so well has disappeared as well.
  6. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Callahan was just to convenient. For years most of us have said hell no to gruden/Callahan. If you have watched them they both have an offense that goes sideways. Now we have Callahan and the offense looks to be just like those gruden/Callahan offenses.

The team had an opportunity to hire Pete Carmichael, they didn't.

Carmichael made tons of sense, he is used to a vertical aggressive pass game with a power running game. It's the scenario romo played best in, think 06,07.

Hiring a competent defensive staff has shown up immediately.

The offensive staff was not upgraded. Giving the keys to Callahan, hiring frank pollack and promoting Wes frigging Phillips did not upgrade the staff.

Putting Pete Carmichael in charge of the offense would have.

Hopefully they turn it around and I think romo will adjust it himself when healthy and be more aggressive but if not its just another wasted season on a unit filled with talent.
    ConstantReboot likes this.
  7. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Marc columbo said on the radio pregame two weeks ago that against certain teams he would allow rushers to beat him inside intentionally and then push them past romo so romo would roll to his right because he was at his best on the move to the right.
  8. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,437 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    It seems like things are getting worse. Against the Giants we got three points from the first three turnovers.
  9. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,437 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    I mentioned that too the other day. I can't find the link but after the game he said he made adjustments during the game and when it came up again he handled it. It was encouraging to hear him adjusting and improving that quickly.
  10. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,961 Messages
    49 Likes Received
    This ^^^^^^^
  11. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

7,884 Messages
    1,432 Likes Received
    Esto.
  12. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,136 Messages
    695 Likes Received
    Enough excuses, the guy just isn't that good.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

34,974 Messages
    2,555 Likes Received
    DFWJC said:
    [It's been only two games and the QB has played hurt 3/4 of that time.]

Yeah, I'll give you that but that doesn't excuse the failure of the offense overall for several years.
  14. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Romo will be fine, Garrets offense hasn't restricted Romo in 6 years, why all of a sudden does it? People forget the guy is taking pain killing injections for an injury right now and that may have something to do with it. Give them a chance to get in a rythm an let's see what happens, it's only been 2 games.
  15. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    wrong
  16. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

1,999 Messages
    1,113 Likes Received
    Amen! We need to cut this QB who's playing with banged up ribs, it's obvious his ribs are making him play even better then his usual self, and he STILL stinks! Why couldn't we pick up a guy like Alex Smith! The only thing Alex Smith needs is great coaching, great running backs, great defense, and overall a great team.

Those things are really easy to come by as well, but no our front office wanted to sign a dude who's been carried by our team for his entire career. He only has one of the best QBR ever because of his elite defense, elite running game, elite defense, and his elite coaching staff.
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,459 Messages
    1,953 Likes Received
    I've had this exact same thought. Bet you the main reason Callahan wasn't allowed to go full West Coast was that they didn't want a transition period with the players, especially Dez. Maybe there was some factor in Garrett not thinking in that "language", too, though he doesn't seem to ever insert himself and make play calls himself.

But funny, Andy Reid put in the West Coast in one offseason and the Chiefs seem to be doing fine.
  18. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,134 Messages
    1,313 Likes Received
    Andy Reid is who I wanted this offseason.

A lot of Cowboy fans didnt want him. I can understand not wanting him if you just don't like him because he was a Eagle but I really do think some people didn't want him because they actually think Jason is a better coach.
  19. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,583 Messages
    3,451 Likes Received
    there is literally zero proof of this.
  20. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

7,884 Messages
    1,432 Likes Received
    I'm talking about the passing game. Obviously, nothing about a two-week sample size and an injured QB in 2013 excuses being 20th in the red zone and 30th in rushing TD in other seasons, but the question then would be to what degree restrictions on Romo affect either of those.