1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The War On Democracy

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by thescarface1989, Oct 24, 2007.

1. thescarface1989

thescarface1989 New Member

430 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A good Documentary on the Current situation in Latin America
    Propaganda or Truth? You Decide

The War On Democracy

[SIZE=-1]Award winning journalist John Pilger examines the role of Washington in America's manipulation of Latin American politics during the last 50 years leading up to the struggle by ordinary people to free themselves from poverty and racism. Since the mid 19th Century Latin America has been the 'backyard' of the US, a collection of mostly vassal states whose compliant and often brutal regimes have reinforced the 'invisibility' of their majority peoples. The film reveals similar CIA policies to be continuing in Iraq, Iran and Lebanon. The rise of Venezuela's Hugo Chavez despite ongoing Washington backed efforts to unseat him in spite of his overwhelming mass popularity, is democratic in a way that we have forgotten or abandoned in the west. [/SIZE]
  2. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    So now someone is defending Chavez. Figures.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,916 Messages
    3,415 Likes Received
    Cool I guess we can start saving money by not supporting and helping these 3rd world countries. Everyone complains about the US until they need our cash and our help.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,048 Messages
    4,397 Likes Received
    We can always borrow more money from China to send to them.;)
  5. Doomsday101

77,916 Messages
    3,415 Likes Received
    We can always look to pay China off which I'm all for.
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,685 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    No we can't.

To do so we'd have to balance our budget and have a surplus of trillions for years.
    Bill Clinton did balance the budget and manage a surplus.
    Bush couldn't stomach it and put us back into debt immediately.

That is my key presidential electoral issue.
  7. Doomsday101

77,916 Messages
    3,415 Likes Received
    I'm sure that is the key to you voting for Hillary. Your a Dem that is why you will vote for Hillary.
  8. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,685 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    And I am a Dem because Repubs can't balance the budget.

I would have voted for McCain in 2000.
    I liked Bill Clinton but hated internet-inventing Gore and felt a lot of the Clinton bashing had some merit: he did have moral issues.

As time passed I saw the folks doing the bashing were hypocritical liars(DeLay, Gingrich, many, many others). I hated that Bush was the 4th best(most intelligent, best political record) of the candidates in 2000 and yet won. McCain, Bradley, Gore, Bush.

That infuriated me and has ever since.

But I grew up politically from that and understand now politics is seldom about the truth.

Clinton, for his issues, presided over a wonderful 8 years for our country. Economically, he was actually conservative. He cut welfare and placed limits on it. He reduced overall government spending by quite a lot.

Bush has been horrid. Conservatives point to how bad the Bush presidency has been. They give him credit for the Supreme Court nominees but thats about it. His actions have been token conservative while mostly self-serving nepotism and simply pro big business. Especially to the big businesses that happened to get him elected Governor and built his political machine.
  9. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,685 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    I am conservative on crime, immigration and the budget needing to be balanced.

I am liberal in taxation, religion, science, moral arguments.

I am libertarian in military focus; i.e. leaving other people to themselves, sense of fairness and consistency.

What the neo-cons do not get is liberals do not wanna elect Hillary either.
    They prefer Edwards and Obama by far.

Hillary's approval rating is about half of Obama's yet she leads him by an immense margin in polls.

No one wants to marry her but she will make a fine, moderate President.
  10. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Spending like a drunken sailor isn't considered conservative politics.
  11. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,685 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    I do not support high spending and Bill Clinton did not spend massive amounts. He spent less than either Bush President.

I'd cut the corporate welfare in many areas but offer incentives to companies who did not have a single overseas employee or H1B visa contractor, cut assistance to other countries and reduce our military and military involvement in other countries.

We won the Cold War by outspending (Russia/China)everyone, but that time is long gone and we are losing the long term battle to China because they can "foreclose" on us at any time. The Russians planned to hit us financially but had no more than 1% of the money the Chinese have in our debt.

The one thing we have going for us is Japan and China hate each other.
  12. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was referring to Bush - not Clinton.
  13. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,685 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    gotcha.
    Bush is not conservative and I have not accused him of such.

The American Conservative magazine refused to back him 3 years ago because his record of fiscal conservatism hey ranked with Jimmy Carter's as the worst ever.

The fact he won the election was shocking to me.
    But then again Kerry was hardly an inspirational candidate.

His 49% of the vote was almost exclusively anybody but bush votes.
  14. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I still can't believe the list of clowns the Democrats trotted out there four years ago. Any decent candidate would have won in a landslide.
  15. Doomsday101

77,916 Messages
    3,415 Likes Received
    Among Democrats she leads him but not everyone is a fricken bleeding heart liberal and many across the country can't stand the hag nor will they vote for her in the general election and while you may see her as a moderate I doubt many in the general election see her as a moderate. Her disapproval rating are higher than Gore or Kerry so while she is doing great in the dem primaries that does not mean jack in the general elections.
  16. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,685 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    dooms,

read this slowly...

approval ratings do not equal votes.

Again, not sure how many times you need to see that or examples you need provided but to recap earlier points detailing this:

Bush had higher disapproval ratings than Kerry.
    Hillary has higher disapproval ratings AMONGST DEMOCRATS than Obama or Edwards.
    Bush had higher disapproval ratings than McCain in 2000.

Guiliani has higher disapproval ratings than virtually any Repub candidate yet leads the polls by a consistent margin.

No matter how many times you call Hillary a hag she is still going to be your president.
  17. Doomsday101

77,916 Messages
    3,415 Likes Received
    In your dreams she will be the next president. You may as well get ready for another year of hollering how the Republicans cheated or stole the elections. 1 great thing with the leaders the Dem have in Howard Dean the chairman of the DNC and Nancy Pelosi as the speaker of the house and Hill running for president I feel confident that the republicans can throw out almost anyone and beat these hacks. :laugh2:
  18. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

61,048 Messages
    4,397 Likes Received
    Thats the same type of mentality the Dems had with Kerry vs Bush.

The dems were shocked to find out differently.

It will be interesting to watch.

I feel like a loser no matter if Hillary or the repub candidate wins because I don't want any of them as President except for Ron Paul and I am pretty sure he won't get the nomination of the neocon controlled republican party.
  19. Doomsday101

77,916 Messages
    3,415 Likes Received
    I'm no fan of Ron Paul so it does not bother me that he will not get the nomination.
  20. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,012 Messages
    727 Likes Received
    Whatever 3rd party candidate pops up is gonna keep Hilary from being elected.

I feel like the Repubs are gonna win it again and since there is not a conservative running ..... that bothers me.