1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Wulf Den: Return of the Wulf

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Wulfman, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I didn't mind what I saw in preseason, mind you. But the lack of strength thing was the knock on him last year. That was supposed to be corrected with a year in the offseason program. If it's still a problem, maybe it's not the program that's the problem.

I'm pulling for the guy to turn into something...but there's no indication that it will happen at this point. With as many injuries as the Cowboys have had this season, for him not to have been into a game at this point leaves me thinking he may never do so. I hope I'm wrong...but I'm not holding my breath.
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,948 Messages
    4,995 Likes Received
    :post:

It's about damn time!!!!!
  3. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,642 Messages
    2,181 Likes Received
    great post as usual Wulf

disagree somewhat on garrett

most of us (yes, even people not currently enamored with garrett) have viewed him with hope and optimism

he has however shown that he is unable to get the players to stop making simple mistakes, being disciplined and accountable, make sound football decisions at the end of games

these issues have little to do with the talent but are a matter of mind-set, philosophy, and experience

i think garrett is still a few years away from where we 'hoped' he already was and those are years this team does not have

now, if we are willing to sacrifice romo, witten, ware's career at the altar of garrett (and i am not), to wait for him to learn to become a HC, that is another thing

so while, garrett's success is the shortest path to success for the cowboys so i hope it comes to fruition, i am not expecting it will
  4. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,913 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Why do people refer to #1 Receiver as the top 10 in the league? 32 receivers are #1s. Both Dez and Miles are.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,305 Messages
    4,209 Likes Received
    Great to have u back. Great post as usual.
  6. Clove

Clove Shrinkage

39,291 Messages
    1,723 Likes Received
    I'm one of the few on the planet that disagree on the greatness people say about Romo.
  7. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

5,000 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    great post. Glad to hear your health has returned. I do disagree with a few things

I don't think Phillips has been solid...and we DO miss Martellus Bennett.

I don't think Spears has been much of anything...he looks like he ate someone.

I don't think DeMarcus Ware is as dominant a pass rusher as he has ever been.
  8. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,371 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Good read but not much was mentioned about the safety position, outside of the probability that Church will be the incumbent next year. What concerns me is the very real possibility that the achilles injury he sustained may take a permanent toll on his already limited quickness and speed. Addressing the need for a highly capable backup here should be a priority, IMHO. I'm not at all confident McCray is capable of being the solution in the event Church has problems.
  9. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Oh, I didn't say that I thought it was the right thing to do to hold onto Garrett as the head coach, just that I believe that's what JJ is going to do. And I certainly agree that there have been game decisions by Garrett (and Ryan as well, for that matter) that have had me asking "what the heck is going on?" out loud.

I will say this, however: I realize the "buck stops" with the person in charge, and for the purposes of playing the game, that would be Garrett. But he has position coaches who are the "hands on" guys of the staff, so the simple mistakes that have continued are as much their fault--if not more--than Garrett's, in my opinion. And I had some coaches that many didn't think were that good, at least in part because they didn't preach discipline and not making dumb mistakes. But I took it on myself to do my job right, and to work on areas where I made mistakes so I wouldn't repeat them. And I did it for free. At some point, guys making millions of dollars to play this game for a living have to be held accountable for their own mistakes.
  10. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,102 Messages
    1,377 Likes Received
    Wulfman, .. when did you have your surgery?

How many by-passes? (Not that it matters how many, once they crack your chest open ;) )

Where did you have it done?

What do you think of your surgeon?

Have you started rehab yet?

Good read by the way.
  11. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I don't know why people would do it, but that's not what I said. I said he is a legitimate #1 receiver and, contrary to popular opinion, there are NOT 32 of them in the league. There are guys that are the best on their team, or who are listed as first on the depth chart for their team, but they do not have the talent to be viewed as a "legitimate" #1 receiver.

Miles was listed first on the depth chart when Dez got here, and he was a better #1 than a lot of teams had. And he could fill that role, if needed, should Dez go down with an injury, at least for awhile. But I don't view him as a legitimate #1 receiver.

When I say "legitimate" #1 receiver, I'm talking the likes of Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, and Andre Johnson...guys that you have to double team on every snap and they're still going to get their catches and go to the Pro Bowl every year. Dez is one of the few receivers in the league with the talent to be in that elite category, and just hasn't quite reached it yet. Julio Jones in Atlanta and A. J. Green in Cincinnati are also on the cusp of that status.

That's what I mean when I say he has it in him to be one of the top 5 receivers in the game.
  12. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,642 Messages
    2,181 Likes Received
    i agree with you that the problems lie with the GM, the coaches, and the players ie it is systemic

just that not all players are dumb (or our player evaluations are way off) and there is a lack of discipline and accountability on the team

those, lie auqarely on garrett and JJ
  13. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    You are, of course, entitled to your opinions. I can only tell you what I've seen in watching game film.

Phillips has done what they've asked him to do, and has done a fairly solid job of it. He has missed some blocks, to be sure, like just about everyone else on that side of the ball. But there have been a number of plays where it appears he has missed a block and the mistake wasn't actually his. A lot of the in-line blocking he does are combo blocks with an offensive lineman, and, most of the time, it's been Free he's lined up beside. When your responsibility is to seal the outside by forcing your man to the inside, expecting the tackle to help in that process, and the tackle instead blocks down to the inside towards the guard (who didn't need the help, most of the time), what ends up happening is that bigger D-lineman is able to slip by your inside shoulder and get penetration into the backfield. And when the ball carrier is heading in that direction, it's pretty much guaranteed not to get much. That didn't happen every time, but I saw it at least four times, and three were with Free. And for the record, I don't think they miss Martellus at all. If they had better blocking from the O-line, no one would even mention his name.

Spears has been what he has always been: a run-stuffer who is going to primarily hold the point of attack and allow linebackers to fill the gaps and make plays. He's never been one to get an inordinate amount of pressure on the QB, and that's not really the primary goal of a DE in the 3-4 defense anyway, no matter how much you'd like it. I don't think he'll be starting there next year. In fact, Lissemore may get some starts as the season wears on.

Ware was a lot more dominant when the opposing offenses had more than just Ware to worry about early in the season. When they had to watch out for Sean Lee and Bruce Carter up the middle, they couldn't just automatically double Ware every time without handicapping their playbook. Without Lee, and later Carter, teams are intentionally getting at least a helping chip block on just about every rush. But if you isolate the rare times when he is going one-on-one with an OT, he has the same nasty moves as he's always had.

I will also say that Rob Ryan has played WAY too many 3-man defensive fronts in obvious passing situations. In my opinion, doing so either guarantees that Ware will be double-teamed if he's one of the three rushers or means he's dropping into coverage. When the defense has had the most success this season is when they've brought pressure and forced opposing QBs into quick decisions. Unfortunately, Ryan is not going to that well until the Cowboys are trailing by 10 or more points. I'd like to see him be really aggressive coming out of the gate just one game and see what a difference it would make. As for Ware, he'll lose a step or two over the next few years, to be certain. But he's still the best in the game.
  14. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Aye, I meant to include safety in my free agent and draft talk, and somehow missed it. When I finally realized the error, too much time had gone by for me to edit the article.

Considering that Church plays more of a strong safety role, I don't think any long-term effects from the injury will significantly hamper his play. But achilles injuries are hard to predict, and I think it far more likely that any effects would not be of the small variety. Most players who have achilles injuries and haven't been able to come all the way back in the past have been able to tell from early on, and it has essentially ended their careers. I think the Cowboys are pretty positive about his chances of a full recovery, though, considering they gave him his contract extension after the injury occurred.

I like McCray better as a back-up and special teams captain than as a starter at safety. But considering the limited role he was expected to have on defense, I have to say I think he has stepped in and done as well or better than expected. Having said that, I don't want to go into next season with him as the starter if Church has serious recovery problems.

By the time free agency roles around, they'll know whether or not Church will be back. If he is, they'll likely target a safety in the draft to compete with Matt Johnson for a roster spot. If he's not, they'll likely look to free agency to fill the need. I don't think Ed Reed is going anywhere but back to the Ravens (assuming he doesn't retire), but here are a couple of upcoming free agent names to keep in the back of your mind: Nate Clements (former CB now moved to safety in Cincinnati), Yeremiah Bell (Now with the Jets, led the Dolphins in tackles with more than a 100 for 4 straight seasons), Laron Landry (Also with the Jets on a one-year deal trying to prove that he is recovered from his own achilles injury), and Jairus Byrd (My pick of this bunch, although I'll be shocked if the Bills let him get to free agency before they lock him up long-term).
  15. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I didn't have to have any bypasses. I was born with a defective (bicuspid) aortic valve, and that valve had to be replaced. The surgery was done at Lynchburg General Hospital in Virginia, and my surgeon was fantastic. I started rehab about a month ago, and it's a slow grind. They tell me, however, that folks don't usually feel like themselves for six months or so, and that I am ahead of the curve. So I'll take that.
  16. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Yup. Doug Free would be riding the pine and Parnell would be getting some playing time at this point, if I were in Garrett's shoes. He's just made WAY too many mistakes, both physically and mentally. It's not like Parnell could be a lot worse than Free. :rolleyes:

I'm also sick of receivers not running the proper routes or not making the right reads. It's been less of a problem the last couple of weeks, but there was a stretch there when I flashed back to last year and Romo yelling at Ogletree to tell him where he was supposed to line up. And it hasn't been just one receiver, either. I was expecting better from that unit with Jimmy Robinson as their position coach.

In a season like this one, there's PLENTY of blame to go around, and very few who don't deserve their share of it.
  17. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    My mother had a aortic heart valve replacement. It has been doing great...She has other health issues, but the heart valve is doing wonderful. That was 8-9 years ago.
  18. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Yes, I have a couple who belong to my church whose son had the same problem and the same surgery at age 29. He's now in his 40's and going strong, so I expect nothing less.
  19. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,899 Messages
    2,707 Likes Received
    Just a head's up. That particular poster has an obsession with Miles being better than Dez, or anyone better than Dez.
  20. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,425 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Exactly what I was going to say. I think McCray is a disaster that should not be on an NFL defense. He is Cory Procteresque in that he is such a glaring weakness. His lack of ability compromises the entire unit. If we had Church and even just one of our two ILBs back, I think this team would be able to go pretty far this year. The offense is as healthy as it's been, but the defense is a M.A.S.H. unit that will likely cost us (at least a couple of)these remaining games.