1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

The Wulf Den: Return of the Wulf

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Wulfman, Dec 3, 2012.

1. BIGDen

BIGDen Dr. Freakasaurus Zone Supporter

4,425 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Glad to hear that you're doing well. I'm a physical therapist who has worked with many patients who have undergone aortic valve replacement surgery. What you have heard is correct. People often feel sluggish and tired (and sometimes depressed) after cardiac surgery. It's common and it does get better as each month goes by. The best advice I could give you is to listen to your body. When you feel like you need a break, take one. Rest breaks are ok. Trying to do a little more each day is fine, but within reason. Don't overdo it, you'll get there in time. Good luck.
  2. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I think the expectancy is like 15 years or so. Then if something goes wrong, they just replace that one. So... Pork or Beef? Just curious. :)
  3. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Excellent post by the OP.

I agree that they definitely need to address offensive tackle in the offseason. Free has fallen off a cliff and reached the point of no return. If it was a purely physical issue, I would have some hope, but I think a lot of it probably has to do with mental psyche and confidence at this point, so I am not sure that he'll ever get it back.

I also agree about the coaching situation. I doubt Callahan will get any interviews elsewhere, but Ryan might get a chance somewhere. Garrett is here to stay for at least another year or two, which excites me quite a bit. Now that Murray is back, we saw what Garrett can do as the playcaller here. The offense was rolling in the second half vs. Philly.

Glad to hear the valve replacement went well. My advice would be to stay active and don't miss a single follow-up appointment. You'll surely have many more healthy years here with us all :)
  4. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,569 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    Great post and glad you are back. Also I hope your health gets better. You wil be in my prayers.
  5. Mr_Bill

Mr_Bill Member

383 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Welcome back, sir!

You had me worried when you didn't follow up after your initial return. It's good to see, though, that your observational skills and writing chops have not diminished. This post reminded me of what I had been missing for these many months.
  6. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Mechanical. They said it should last longer than I do if I live to be 100. :D
  7. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I can understand this perspective, I just happen to look at it a different way. When I do this kind of season review, I try to look not just at how people are playing from one game to the next, but how that performance measures up compared to what they were expected to contribute from the end of training camp.

McCray was expected to serve as the special teams captain and come in on defense in some very specific packages, sometimes playing in the box in place of an interior LB and at times to blitz. That was his role at the end of last year, and what he had been doing in training camp. That role is his strength, in my opinion.

Instead, however, he's been thrown into a starting job because of Church's injury, and is having to do things from a gameplay perspective that he wasn't really expected to do previously. As such, his weaknesses in certain areas of safety play have been exposed and exploited. If that surprises anyone, I'm not quite sure they had realistic expectations anyway.

It also hasn't helped the safeties losing both Lee and Carter in front of them. There is a lot of communication that has to go on up the middle of the defense in order to make sure coverages work, and there's been a lack of that when Connor and Sims have been playing. Connor, in particular, doesn't appear to have the speed or quickness for coverage on a consistent basis, and players getting free behind him are usually going to find the safeties out of position as a result.

That's not to excuse McCray's mistakes, and he has made a number of them. In particular, he has a tendency to take bad angles to the ballcarrier, frequently putting himself out of position to make a solid tackle when he gets there (assuming he gets there at all). The dropoff in that particular area from Church to McCray is more significant than just about any other aspect I've seen on tape.

But overall, considering what he was expected to do, and then what's been dropped on him as the season has gone on, I can't get down on the guy, and I think he will be a solid contributor as a back-up and special teams captain next season. I will be watching, however, for some improvement over the last four games, specifically in the area I mentioned, above. If he doesn't show he can correct that problem, next year will likely be his last in Dallas, special teams captain or not.
  8. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Sweet.
  9. Wulfman

Wulfman Unofficial GM

1,300 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I'll go a step further on the OT position. Not only do I release Free at the end of the year to save cap space, but I'm not filling his spot with Parnell unless I know he can handle the job. And for my money, the only way I know that is if I let him start at RT for at least 2-3 games at the end of this season. If he doesn't prove himself, go sign a mid-tier FA in the offseason and then draft a developmental guy for the future. If he does, either sign a middle-tier veteran or draft a developmental guy anyway to compete for the starting job or to serve as a back-up next year.
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,789 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    Who in the FO / Staff do you think will be able to identify these mid-tier or draft guys? The current guys dont have any track record of hitting on OL, at all.
  11. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Haven't posted for awhile, 'til today, trying to avoid so much of the hostility. I miss the best of CZ. And there are so many great members here.

To read your OP, to see that you are back to it after all this time does my heart good. I followed your surgery and continued reading until I found that you had come through it and you were back at home, healing up.

Glad you're back at it, Wulf. But more importantly, I'm very glad you are on the Up N Up health-wise.
  12. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,007 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    Let the negative stuff slide off your back. Keep posting.
  13. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wanna let the negative stuff slide, but there's just so much of it a body can take sometimes... you know? Appreciate the invitation to participate in posting again. Thank you for the encouragement. Used to enjoy it.
  14. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,007 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    There's never too much of it that you can't handle. There will always be stupid people on the internet. There are also many that appreciate what you have to say. Don't rob us of your opinions to appease the stupid.
  15. wittenacious

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Again, I really do appreciate the encouragement, muck. Very kind.

Losing Wulfman would be the real tragedy.