1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TheCount's 1st Round Mock Attempt - Take 2

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheCount, Mar 20, 2012.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    Indianapolis (2-14) - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
    No brainer.

Washington - from St. Louis (2-14) - Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
    Ditto.

Minnesota (3-13) - Matt Kalil, OT, Southern California
    Gotta protect Ponder after investing so much in him last year.

Cleveland (4-12) - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
    Tough call between Richardson and Claiborne here, but the CB position trumps RB.

Tampa Bay (4-12) - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
    After signing Vincent Jackson, Blackmon is effectively out of play here.

St. Louis - from Washington (5-11) - Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
    They finally get to pair a top tier receiver with Bradford.

Jacksonville (5-11) - Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina
    They got Mincey back, but Jacksonville loves defensive linemen and won't complain if they have to pair Coples with Mincey.

Miami (6-10) - Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
    Has there been a bigger loser this off season in terms of QB options? They signed Garrard, so at least they won't have to rush Tannehill.

Carolina (6-10) - Michael Brockers, DT, LSU
    I'm still unsure on Brockers, I don't see it, but a lot of people seem to think he'll be a great pro. His production is as questionable as Poe's in my mind but at least he faced better competition.

Buffalo (6-10) - Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford
    They just threw a boat load of money at Williams, so pass rusher moves down the list. Demetrius Bell is still floating in the wind, so if he isn't brought back, they will have to get an LT.

Kansas City (7-9) - Dontari Poe, NT, Memphis
    Poe isn't a traditional NT, but perhaps they see him that way and can make it work.

Seattle (7-9) - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
    Seattle signed Jason Jones at DT and brought back Red Bryant at LDE, now they just need that pass rusher. Ingram fits the bill.

Arizona (8-8) - Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College
    They brought back Levi Brown at LT and signed Adam Snyder to a 5 year deal as a G/T so they have a chance to bring in one of the best ILB's in recent memory after Steward Bradley bombed as a big name FA signing last year.

Dallas (8-8) - David DeCastro, G, Stanford
    Honestly, at this point, if Dallas sticks to the BPA speaking point, I don't see a better player available. DeCastro can start from Day 1, and has far fewer question marks than most of the guys left.

Philadelphia (8-8) - Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
    Do they need a DT? Not really, but that won't stop them. RDT is the weakest link on their suddenly elite defensive front, and they'll replace him with Cox. Mark Barron is also an option here.

New York Jets (8-8) - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
    If the Jets are smart, they'll cut ties with Holmes but even if they don't, WR is still a need.

Cincinnati - from Oakland (8-8) - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB/FS, Alabama
    They need both safety and CB help, Kirkpatrick gives them an option at both.

San Diego (8-8) - Cordy Glenn, OG/RT, Georgia
    He'd probably play OG now that Gaither is resigned, but Glenn can give them an option at multiple positions.

Chicago (8-8) - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
    With Brandon Marshall brought in, they can take a chance on Reiff, who has been slipping a bit.

Tennessee (9-7) - Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
    They brought in Wimbley and Steve hutchingson while retaining their safeties, so they can give Jake Locker another receiving option.

Cincinnati* (9-7) - Nick Perry, DE, Southern California
    They've got a few decent pass rushers, but none that are dominant. Perry had a great combine and may have a lot of upside.

Cleveland - from Atlanta* (10-6) - Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech
    If they are going to be stuck with Colt, they are going to have to surround him with great players. Hill has a ton of upside.

Detroit* (10-6) - Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
    I've read that Detroit has been doing a lot of research on Jenkins. As long as they don't turn up any dead bodies, they might add another piece to their feisty defense.

Pittsburgh* (12-4) - Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
    They need to get younger at LB.

Denver* (8-8) - Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
    All the 1st round guards and tackles are out of play, so they take the next best lineman available.

Houston* (10-6) - Mark Barron, SS, Alabama
    Barron is better than his reputation around these parts, but he hasn't worked out at all yet.

New England - from New Orleans* (13-3) - Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois
    They are moving towards a 4-3 but still run some 3-4, Mercilus fits both schemes.

Green Bay* (15-1) - Devon Still, DE, Penn State
    They need to improve their defensive front to free up Matthews again. Looks like losing Cullen Jenkins was a bigger deal than they thought it would be.

Baltimore* (12-4) - Courtney Upshaw, OLB, Alabama
    They lost Jarrett Johnson in FA, and I actually think Upshaw is a great fit here. Suggs and Ray Ray will gladly take him under their wing an indoctrinate him in the teachings of Ball So Hard University.

San Francisco* (13-3) - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
    They brought back Carlos Rodgers, but I don't think will stop them from improving their defense, especially with a lot of the offensive guys out of play.

New England* (13-3) - Zach Brown, OLB, North Carolina
    If NE wants to transition to the 4-3 full time, they will need a true 4-3 OLB.

New York Giants* (9-7) - Lavonte David, ILB, Nebraska
    David is a sneaky pick here, but I think he's actually a better player than Brown and the Giants would be more than happy to have him.

-----

Thoughts and criticism are always welcome.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    Can someone please move this? Thanks.
  3. austintodallas

austintodallas Consider Yourself Sucked

2,413 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think you mean Williams here.
  4. wittenacious

wittenacious Active Member

2,805 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Couple quickie thoughts:

1. Seems I read somewhere, this morning, it was reported the Vikes are making noises about liking Claiborne, maybe over Kalil. I put stock in it only from the standpoint of, "Why blow smoke?" They've got the #3 pick and the #1 and #2 selections are foregone conclusions. We'll see.

2. Stephon Gilmore projected to go in Round 1? Was hoping the Cowboys would have a shot at him in R-2, even if they had to trade up to get him. Best of the CBs go fast, that's for sure.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    Thanks for the catch, corrected.
  6. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If Ingram drops to #12 and Seattle is willing to trade back two slots, I can't see the Cowboys not trading up to grab Ingram at #12 over DeCastro at #14. Probably even to #11 with Buffalo to keep Seattle from drafting him.
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    I don't know that I've seen anything yet to suggest we're THAT hot after him, but sure, it's a possibility. I'd rather we didn't trade up though.
  8. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    My only issue I see with him is his height. You would want someone a little taller than 6'1 1/2 264lbs. That said, the guy is probably the most versatile pass rusher in the draft. Good speed at 4.66, hand on the ground, play standing up, or in pass coverage. He can do it all.

His 6'1 stature is the only negative I can see with him. Other than that, I think he is the best OLB in the draft.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    I don't put much stock in size, I wouldn't let that affect my opinion of him too much. If you can play, you can play. I'm 6'6" and my pass rush is far from impressive. :laugh2:
  10. M'Kevon

M'Kevon A Love Supreme

3,234 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    The Vikes are attempting to create a market for the #3 pick. They would like a bidding war for Claiborne.
  11. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Well, size affects you in on the defensive line by your ability two A) see over / around the offensive line and B) your ability to knock passes down.

What being shorter can help with is getting lower than an offensive lineman. A shorter center of gravity can also help you juke or turn a corner on an offensive lineman.

Of course if shorter means shorter arms. The offensive lineman can get his hands on you before you can knock them away. If you're shorter, you definitely need to be good and keeping offensive lineman's hands off of your pads.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,617 Messages
    2,005 Likes Received
    To attract trade offers for teams dying to get Claiborne.
  13. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Bills would never take Martin over Reiff and Martin won't go anywhere in the top 20. You can take that to the bank.

FYI on Martin, not a scout I ever have talked to can understand where or why he has gotten this boost in ranking from the internet world. Highest praise I have heard for him is that he might get over valued towards the end of Round 1.

Common grades on him 2nd-3rd round. Seems like the only internet site that has come to grips with his stock is my old buddy Jonah Rosenblum over at PFW who currently has a 3rd-4th round grade on him and a interesting blurb from a scout under his draft buzz section.

Anyone looking for some interesting rankings should check out PFW site, not the publication. Jonah Rosenblum is a up and coming name in the NFL ranks. He is probably one of the better connected and less known draft guru's out there. I'm willing to bet knowing his situation that in the very near future he will be sitting in a NFL Office.
  14. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thanks for the tip about Rosenblum. :thumbup:
  15. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I think you will find some interesting grades. I know there were a few things that made me take some second looks.
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    880 Likes Received

Interesting. Does he do all the rankings cause they've got Poe as the 2nd best DT in the class and with a higher grade than any defender not named Cox or Claiborne. They've also got Konz as the 3rd best interior lineman, and I know you aren't particularly high on him.
  17. SDogo

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    It's his show to run but he does have people help him out. I'm not sure 100% how they compile the grades or how much input each person has.