1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TheCount's December Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheCount, Dec 7, 2010.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    1. Nick Fairley, DE, 6'5" - 300 lbs
    I'm not much of a believer in spending such a high pick on a 3-4 DE unless we're talking top-teir talent, which just happens to be the case with Fairley. Our defense needs a lot of work and I think we've all come to realize the talent level isn't as high as advertised.

2. Marcus Cannon, OG/C 6'5" - 360 lbs
    I'm a fan of Mike Pouncey but I think Cannon may end up being the better player. If we could somehow walk away with both of them, I'd be on cloud nine.

3. Robert Sands, FS/SS 6'5" - 220 lbs
    Pretty sure I'm riding alone on this one, but Sands has great range, plays the ball at its highest point and brings the wood. I don't even think he'll be available in the 3rd to be honest, but here's to hoping.

4. Rashad Carmichael, CB 5'10 - 180 lbs

Fast, athletic corner with a good background and strong work ethic. A little undersized and his ball skills could use some work, but has good hands and the tools are there to get better.

5. Casey Matthews, ILB, 6'1 - 240 lbs
    Casey is a little undersized for a 3-4 ILB, but he's from the same bloodlines as Clay Matthews so you know he's relentless. Knows his job, plays with good instincts and a hard worker.

6a. Phil Taylor, NT 6'3" - 360 lbs
    I'm not really ready to move Ratliff to DE but we definitely have a need for a big, run stuffing, block occupying NT on this team. Taylor fits the bill and while he offers almost nothing in terms of rushing the passer, he is definitely a space eater with the capability to anchor. I will also add that I'm optimistic about Josh Brent, for what that's worth.

6b. Will Rackley, OG, 6'4" - 305 lbs
    Rackley is a developmental guy who currently plays tackle but projects as a guard in the NFL. He has a problem with smaller speed rushers but plays with a bit of a mean streak.

7. Bruce Miller, OLB 6'2" - 253 lbs
    Situational speed rusher that would be taking a step up in the NFL. May get taken earlier than this because of his production alone. Racked up 54 tackles, 7 Sacks, and 2 Interceptions (returned both for TD's) this year after taking 13 Sacks and another 2 picks in 2009.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,314 Messages
    4,649 Likes Received
    Is Fairley projected to be as good as someone like a Richard Seymour playing at 3-4 DE. If he is not good or better than I hate the pick. Just hate it.

I don't want some guy that was a terror in the backfield in college to languish away as a 3-4 defensive end who is only occupying blockers or helping vs the run...not in the high portion of the first round.

I don't need another Spears this time around.

Oddly enough I think this draft would be better suited to us if we switched to a 4-3 base defense as it seems the top end talent in round one (except for QB and DB) is more Dline based.

I am kind of irritated that there are not some more top end OLinemen or a top end FS.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    Yeah, figures this would be the year, right?

And I'd say Fairley is projected to be pretty disruptive. Whether we would use him to his potential, I have no idea. If we aren't going to use him, then as I said, I agree that it'd be a bad pick.
  4. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I will physically abuse my TV and/or Computer if we select Sands. Please no. Please.
  5. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Patrick Peterson. At all costs. Trade up if we have to. Once in a decade CB talent.
  6. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,314 Messages
    4,649 Likes Received
    Sands is a pretty good player.

However what does worry me about him is his height.

Seems like tall Safeties tend to struggle in the NFL.
  7. Goldenrichards83

Goldenrichards83 Active Member

1,612 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If we come away with these 2 picks this will make the entire draft for me.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    I agree that his height bothers me as well, but he does have terrific range. Being matched up one on one with quick slot receiver might be a problem, but a good scheme can limit those opportunities.