1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TheCount's Pre-Senior Bowl Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheCount, Jan 25, 2013.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,855 Messages
    879 Likes Received
    [IMG] Round 1: Jonathan Cooper, OG, North Carolina
    1st round guards are amongst the safest and most productive picks in the draft. The fact that we refuse to draft one early and the quality of the lines we've been fielding speaks volumes. I've still got a man crush on Warmack, won't lie, but I'd sleep like a baby if we came away with Cooper.

[IMG] Round 2: Margus Hunt, DE, Southern Methodist
    Everyone that is watching Ansah should be watching Hunt. You want your athletic freak? Here he is. You'll probably hear Watt's name mentioned a lot with Hunt because they both happen to be short on melanin, but think Calais Campbell.

[IMG] Round 3: Khaled Holmes, C, USC
    Holmes would be a steady (or better), dependable center on a team that had LOTS of issues at the position last year. Even if Costa comes back, do you want to bank on his remaining healthy? I sure don't. Holmes could also potentially play guard if Costa can stay healthy and plays with enough strength to do so.

[IMG] Round 4: Kenjon Barner, RB, Oregon
    You've seen him in a million mocks by now, and he'll probably go earlier than we all think, but I'd love to pair an explosive guy like Barner with a thumper like Murray.

[IMG] Round 5: Tyrann Mathieu, CB, LSU
    I may be losing it, but I am starting to open up a bit to the idea of drafting Mathieu. We tend to strike out in this later draft rounds, even when we think we're playing it safe, so why not swing for the fences? Some team will probably remember Janoris Jenkins and get trigger happy, but in the 5th? Why the heck not.

[IMG] Round 6: Shamarko Thomas, SS, Syracuse
    I'm not really under any delusion that Thomas is a starting caliber safety, but the dude plays with a chip and can really motor. At the very least, a special teams contributor with potential to earn some regular snaps.

------

Let's hear why you hate it so much. ;)
  2. 1LoyalCowboyFan

1LoyalCowboyFan Active Member Zone Supporter

593 Messages
    61 Likes Received

I like 1,3,4 All address need and would see immediate playing time. I abhor the second pick. Hunt may have the size but too risky for me. Hunt is no Watt. Watt was a monster in Wisconsin. I won't address pick 5 as I think we could get someone who could help immediately.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,957 Messages
    554 Likes Received
    I still don't think Cooper is worth the #18 pick, I have no problem if we end up with him but I just want him after a trade back that grabs us an extra 3rd.

Make it Cooper in a trade back-Hunt-Holmes-Barner-Swearinger and its an A+ mock and I would feel a lot better about next year.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,139 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    Alot of scouts who saw Hunt at SB practice all week thought he was a project. plays to high, cant get off blocks, doesnt use hands well. So not in the first three rounds IMO.
  5. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,525 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    Hunt will be drafted in the 5th or later, and that's only cuz of his size/potential.
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,855 Messages
    879 Likes Received
    Sig bet? :D

I'm not pro or anti hunt, but I do think he's got unique physical tools. I heard mixed things about him from Senior Bowl practice, not all bad like you make it seem.

There's no doubt he'd be a project, how could he not be with 2 years of football experience?
  7. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,430 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    This is unknown.
  8. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,100 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    I don't want Hunt. He's a project and we need sure-fire players with our first 2 picks, not boom-or-bust players. Plus Hunt is better suited for the 3-4. Would much rather have the top S available in 2nd like Thomas, Elam, or Jefferson unless a great OL/DL slips.
  9. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,137 Messages
    4,238 Likes Received
    I like the first pick. Heck no to Hunt in the 2nd. I'd try to get Barrett Jones (C) in the 2nd and then Tank Carradine in the 3rd. Also if Jonathan Franklin is there in the 4th, I take him for his bigger body/blocking.
  10. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,954 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    agreed 100% on HUNT. What is the fascination? He may be strong like bull but his technique is poor imo, gets stood upright way too often. He's a 4th round talent imho.
  11. Goldenrichards83

Goldenrichards83 Active Member

1,612 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Love everything you did here except for Hunt in 2nd. The draft is so deep at that position that there should be a higher ranked dlinemen there.
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,855 Messages
    879 Likes Received
    Thanks. Who would you grab in the 2nd?

The fact that he's in a mock doesn't necessarily equal fascination. Everything you've described as a negative can be attributed to inexperience and remedied with coaching. It's not like he has a club foot or something.
  13. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

955 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    The second round pick kind of sticks in my throat, he is a talent just not sure we have the assets in place to develop him at this time.

Give me instead of Hunt in the 2nd rd: Barrett Jones, Kawann Short,Larry Warford, Sylvester Williams(I think he is falling)

3rd round add Chris Faulk LSU OT to the mix

4th add Arthur Brown to the mix LB Kansas

5th rd. I hope we do not draft an issue player but have no real alternative maybe Lacey although this might be too late for him.
  14. Goldenrichards83

1,612 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In the 2nd I like Kawann Short, Sylvester Williams, Alex Okafor, and Datone Jones or we grab our play making safety in Phillip Thomas.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,855 Messages
    879 Likes Received
    I like a lot of those guys. I'm starting to think Okafor works his way into the 1st, or high 2nd. He was originally the guy I had in that slot. I like Willliams a lot as well.

Hell, I'm fine with taking OL and DL exclusively in the first 4 rounds of this draft, personally.
  16. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,858 Messages
    359 Likes Received
    No thanks to Hunt that early. I don't think a team is going to touch him until the third day.
  17. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,855 Messages
    879 Likes Received
    So, the third round then? :laugh2:

Considering it's February, I'm surprised so many Draftheads already have their minds made up on where any of these guys will go. You really think a track guy isn't going to do well at the combine?
  18. batman36

batman36 Member

508 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    January, 26th. Come on Count, Count!
  19. Goldenrichards83

1,612 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm with you there. Our lines need to be addressed.
  20. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,855 Messages
    879 Likes Received
    There was supposed to be "not even" in there, but good to know you can count to 2. Between the two of us, we should be able to breeze through that pesky remedial math class. :D