1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

TheCount's Pre-Senior Bowl Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheCount, Jan 25, 2013.

1. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,955 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    I have seen umpteen mocks on this board with him in it. I wasn't referring to you in particular.
    Being stiff isn't something you can coach out of him, he looks awkward as hell to me, but I am no scout just an armchair draft guy like everyone here.
  2. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

1,955 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    Rounds 4,5,6 and 7 are day 3
  3. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,439 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    i would be okay with that too.
    I find it hard to believe Barnes will be there in the 4th or 5th, esp cuz he'll probably run a 4.3ish 40.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    I knew what you meant, it was a joke, hence the smilie.

I don't think he'll be there either, as I noted. But if Murray can end up in the 3rd, anything is possible. I also like Raymond Graham out of Pitt and Ace Sanders from South Carolina, although the latter is probably going to take a heck of a pounding in the NFL.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,579 Messages
    4,146 Likes Received
    I'm going to disagree on Cooper. He is one of the best players in this draft, IMO. It's just a matter of deciding what an OG is worth. If some teams think he can play Center, then he might be gone by #18.

He could easily be worth #18 to the Cowboys. Having said that, it would be nice to get him after a trade down if possible. I just don't know if he'll be available later. Maybe if both Cooper and Warmack are on the board at #18, then you could expect Cooper to fall to the early/mid twenties.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,630 Messages
    2,012 Likes Received
    This is a year, that if the draft fell right, we may be best served to try to get two late 1st round picks instead of the 18th and 47th pick.

It'd be hard to pull off though and would require two trades.
    It's more just an observation than anything--value-wise, for example, the 18th and 47th equals about the 27 and 29th picks.
    Again, things wuld have to be falling right (or wrong) for us to want to do that.
    Otherwise, stay put and go BPA. We can find two starters with the 18th and 47th as well.
  7. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    I'd be interested to hear why you like him so much. Not that I don't, obviously, but you seem to be especially high on Cooper.
  8. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,579 Messages
    4,146 Likes Received
    Good question.

Pass-Blocking:

The NFL is a pass-happy league. Cooper is super quick and a very good pass-blocker. He is a better pass-blocker than Warmack, IMO.

Run Blocking:
    Cooper is not going to annihilate a defender the way the Warmack or Warford can; however, he is strong and plays with better leverage in the running game than other really quick pass-blocking type Guards like Dallas Thomas. Being 6-3 vs 6-5 is an advantage at OG. Taller Guards need more weight to be effective.

Zone Blocking Scheme:
    Callahan wants to implement a Zone Blocking Scheme. His quote from last year “I paid for my kids to go to college coaching the ZBS”.

This scheme is more dependent on quickness than brute strength/power.

An interior Olineman is never going to hit 100% of the reach blocks and blocks in space required in the ZBS; however, the quicker the player the higher the percentage of those plays that he is going to make. The opposite is not necessarily true. It does not really matter how much you blow up a defender with power, as long as he gets blocked. It is fun to see Warmack demolish guys and there is some intimidation factor, but overall if a defender is blocked out of the play, then he’s blocked out of the play.

Future:
    Heavy guys like Warmack come with some long-term concerns. Warmack has good enough quickness now at age 21; however, a little weight gain or a few birthdays could slow him down to the point of sub-par quickness.

As college players get into the NFL and get older, the natural tendency is for them to gain some weight; however, they almost never get quicker. Cooper with more weight just means more power because he has quickness to spare; whereas, more weight would not help Warmack, it would only make him slower.

The final straw:
    Some reports indicate that some scouts believe that Cooper could play Center. Not that it is proof of anything, but Cooper did start one game at Center in college.

If Cooper is an option at Center, then his draft stock automatically bumps up a few spots, IMO. Center’s are just too difficult to find in Free Agency. If you want a dominant one, you usually have to draft him early.

The position on the Cowboys roster that concerns me the most is Center. They have several candidates (Costa, Kowalski, and Bernadeau). I don’t consider Cook an option due to his poor run blocking. He provided a very value service in 2012 by helping to keep Romo from getting killed; however, the Cowboys must have better run blocking in the future.

Summary:

Elite quickness combined with very good strength/power.
    Zone Blocking Scheme.
    Possibility of playing Center would push him over the top.

9. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,789 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    I would be ecstatic. Sadly, I think all of the top 3 guys will go before you have us taking them.
  10. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    880 Likes Received
    Good analysis. I still think Warmack is next level compared to Cooper and that he'd be an asset regardless of scheme, but I do like Cooper.