1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

Theodore Roosevelt's words...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Rack Bauer, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,682 Messages
    640 Likes Received
    Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here.
    Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907​
  2. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Obviously he was just a bigot... or some would have you believe.
    I'd like to see some of our citizens be as open with their personal homes as they are with our country.
  3. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

21,160 Messages
    2,138 Likes Received
    I am with Teddy 100%
  4. iceberg

iceberg nothing is nothing Zone Supporter

29,400 Messages
    2,358 Likes Received
    with you on this one. putting a prefix on "american" implies you get a "different" set of rights, better or worse. it also keeps us "divided" because of those prefixes.

at work we have hispanic months, african american months, women in the workforce...all that. all designed to allow pride in heritage.

i was born in texas and am an average white male. why can i not be proud of that in the same light? why is my saying i'm proud to be a white male "racist" when it has nothing to do with anyone of any other color?
  5. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    I wonder what ol' Teddy thought about the rights of women. :eek: