1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

There's a reason 23 teams passed on Dez

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RickMoranis, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,618 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    Dez has the ability to be dominant in this league. That is pretty clear. Dez piles up pretty good stats too. That matters, but what good are statistics, when you can't trust him to run the proper route, or make a hot read and cost you when the game is on the line?

Let's face it ..... Dez is capable of making a one handed game winning catch when the game is on the line. He is equally capable of dropping a wide open easy catch for a touchdown for no apparant reason. It does little good to be able to make spectacular plays on occasion if you can't make most, if not all of the routine plays he is supposed to make.

Moreover, there is a hell of a lot more to being a receiver than just catching the ball when it is thrown to you. A receiver might give a "tell" that the ball isn't coming his way, allowing the defense to somewhat ignore him for that play, which makes it a hell of a lot harder on the other skill position players because the defense is able to focus on the other players.

Sometimes, the fact a defense is able to eliminate possibilities enables a defense to be more effective. That is why the pass rush is so much more successful on obvious passing situations, and why a run (draw) gains more yards than a normal running play ..... because the defense doesn't expect it.
  2. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

3,148 Messages
    220 Likes Received

I argued that way back then. he is extremley talented. but so is every other WR in this league. what sets you apart is game film study, attention to little things. he has been problematic on everything in his life. this is who he is. he will always be this. he doesn't have the attention to detail as he should for an NFL player.
  3. gmb85

gmb85 Active Member

1,487 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Dez did well for my fantasy team! Isn't that what matters?
  4. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,596 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    Sure...be my guest.

Brady played at a big time program so you can't argue there was no tape on him.

Romo played at a small school...so did Flacco and he was drafted much higher. Don't forget what Parcells said about our angelic QB over and over, he has his own warts and that might have had something to do with him not being drafted.

Dez didn't play his last year for sketchy reasons....but to say he was skipped over by 23 teams is ridiculous. First of all, WR's rarely go in the top five anyhow and only one team (Denver) drafted a WR prior to Dallas.

The guy is 23 years old....how many 23 year old WR's have mental errors? How many not named Fitzgerald start and dominate by that age? Before you mention Calvin, you might want to go back and look at his stats.
  5. Dallas Cowboys

Dallas Cowboys Well-Known Member

566 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    Dez is in his third year. We all know what that means. He has showed flashes of brilliance. Are you really ready to let him go to a team that has a solid offensive line that can give their QB time to find an open man down field? Lets call a spade a spade and place blame where it is deserved. Until we can put a solid OL unit on the field to give Romo time to get the ball to his blossoming WR's, I say we refrain from trading him for peanuts. The blame falls solely on the OL and the idiots who orchestrated it's demise.
  6. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,596 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    How is he uncoachable, when everyone says what a great kid he is and that he really does care. Kid is learning and seems to be doing his best to become a better person and player....is he perfect? No....but neither is our QB and he's 32 years old. Weren't we all wondering how mature Tony was when he went off to Cabos with Jessica? How old was he?
  7. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's a different opinion than pretty much everyone else who saw that play.
  8. HowAboutThemCowboys

HowAboutThemCowboys Well-Known Member

3,378 Messages
    928 Likes Received
    What does it say about the QB that keeps throwing to him, the Coach that keeps playing him, and the Owner that keeps paying him?
  9. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,982 Messages
    1,276 Likes Received
    i really really like Dez's talent.

But he's three years in and just doesn't seem to understand where he needs to be. He made a rookie mistake last night and it hurt us. Something needs to change with him or I think we have to move on after this year
  10. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,666 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I am of the opinion that Dez needs to play with a QB that has a stronger personality. It seemed as though Dez and Kitna had a better relationship than he currently has with Romo.

Craig
  11. dstew60105

dstew60105 Active Member

1,783 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Not defending Dez, but he's on pace for a 80 catch 1,000 yard season. Hardly bust numbers. And if Romo connected on that pass in Q1 it would have been a monster game for him.
  12. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

15,297 Messages
    1,002 Likes Received
    Or that he needs to get set before the ball is snapped.
  13. zekecee

zekecee When Posting...Please Use Caution

223 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    JUGS machine during the off week and more playbook. Anything else is unacceptable IMO.
  14. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,437 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    And play even when he is not the primary target. Replays showed him going thru the motions on plays that he wasn't the target.

This team will go nowhere if it is depending on him.
  15. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,666 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Wasn't trying to knock Dez. I just believe that he would be further along with a stronger presence that knows when to push and when to pull.

Craig
  16. AZ_Cowboys_Fan

AZ_Cowboys_Fan Active Member

575 Messages
    35 Likes Received

It depends how you define "bust". I believe he has the physical talent to far exceed those numbers. Mentally, he just doesn't have it and I'm starting to doubt if he'll ever turn the corner. All hype, no production. I'd rather have someone with average athleticism who runs the correct routes and catches the ball. And doesn't need his own personal security team. But that's just me.
  17. Nexx

Nexx Well-Known Member

1,660 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    maybe dez needs to have it dumbed down, and be the 3rd receiver with less responsibilities.
  18. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,651 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    All of us have played sports with guys like Dez--who are capable of everything but never give you everything.

There's no secret, no hidden way to get through to him.

He needs to be a professional but he doesn't have it in him to be one.

Like they say on that classic Canadian show, Trailer Park Boys, 'A **** leopard can't change its spots'
  19. Thomas82

Thomas82 Active Member

1,230 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Thanks for the nugget.....I just learned something new.
  20. Jaxonsdaddd

Jaxonsdaddd Member

331 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Dez's unpredictability has to lead to sacks as well. As a QB, I believe it would be hard to let the ball fly his way and just assume hes going to break off a route and be where he is supposed to be.

On a side note, Romo and Miles are always on different pages also. They are good for once or twice a game to give each other that goofy look where they didnt see the same thing. That 4th pick is a perfect example of Romo expecting Miles to cut in front of the DB and Miles went behind him.