1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Thinking way ahead...I don't believe DL will be our first pick next year

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Howboutdemcowboys31, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Howboutdemcowboys31

Howboutdemcowboys31 Well-Known Member

1,358 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    I think it will be a linebacker under the assumption Melton earns the extension and we're still in the 4-3. The two coveted positions on the DL we'll already have in place. It's obvious we don't covet the 1-tech and the strong side DE is more of a run stopper. To me, Durant and Carter are both gone next year and just a shot in the dark I think we'll go LB first
  2. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

4,253 Messages
    908 Likes Received
    Crawford's performance will probably be the biggest determining factor. Otherwise, D Line is still a pretty big need. Also, the 2015 draft is fairly deep with D Linemen.

This year will tell a lot. If Claiborne and Carr struggle, the Cowboys are in position to move on from their contracts, so CB could become a need. We could need as many as 3 new starting Linebackers (Carter and Durant are free agents, Hitchens, Holloman, and Wilber are unknowns, and then the unfortunate injury concern with Sean Lee). In my opinion, we still need an actual Free Safety.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

17,391 Messages
    8,250 Likes Received
    It seems like the most logical position for them to focus on; although, you don't really want to be just 1 deep with pass rushers. Do any of the current DEs other than Lawrence have significant upside as pass rushers?

We really don't know how Melton will fare coming off the injury. That is the top position in a Marinelli defense. How will the backup 3-techs fare? We really have no idea how Crawford will do in this position. He was a college DE and a 3-4 DE with the Cowboys in 2012.

Safety could be a need also. It seems like Wilcox has what it takes, but he far from proven. The overall options at Safety probably aren't any better than the overall options at LB.

Free's contract is up after this season. Are Parnell, Weems or Martin legit options at RT?

If Romo does not stay healthy this season, then they might draft a QB with the 1st round pick.
    pancakeman and MichaelWinicki like this.
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

34,133 Messages
    4,173 Likes Received
    Agree with that take. 1st round next April/May could go in so many different directions... which is both a good/bad thing.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

17,391 Messages
    8,250 Likes Received
    My primary goal for the Cowboys in 2014 is to answer some of the many position questions that they had this off-season.

If Wilcox and Lawrence can prove to be legit NFL players that would be really helpful. If Holloman or Hitchens can step up at LB that would reduce the need at LB.

If some of the young DL like Crawford can prove themselves then that need would be reduced.

If they had 10 big needs going into the 2014 off-season, I would like to see that number reduced to about 5 or even 3.

It will help if Romo stays healthy and the don't have to use the 1st round pick on a QB.
  6. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

34,133 Messages
    4,173 Likes Received
    Agreed. It would be terrific if there were needs but not pressing needs for the 1st round pick next time around.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

25,537 Messages
    13,506 Likes Received
    I would hope the biggest determining factor will be the quality of players there at our pick and not what the most pressing need is on the roster.
  8. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

2,004 Messages
    297 Likes Received
    If you look at the early mocks/ratings, I'm not sure there is a first round LB out there right now. You see more of these LB's rated in the 2nd-3rd round range.
  9. Howboutdemcowboys31

Howboutdemcowboys31 Well-Known Member

1,358 Messages
    627 Likes Received
    Agree and I like going bpa but at some point we have to have at least an average defense to stand a chance
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

15,476 Messages
    1,894 Likes Received
    Draft your board.
  11. XDez88BeastX

XDez88BeastX Active Member

368 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    I completely agree. I think we will be targeting the top Will LB in the draft (likely Vic Beasley) & if he isnt around I feel next we will target a 3tech DT followed by a right tackle if all of our top two defensive positional choices fail to be available.
  12. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

1,359 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    Way too early to discuss.
    And even for the sake of argument you take BPA regardless of position.
  13. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

4,442 Messages
    3,194 Likes Received
    People still don't know how BPA works in reality? Le sigh. Tiers guys. Tiers.
    DFWJC likes this.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

25,703 Messages
    3,529 Likes Received
    I think..no, I know...we will consider who is on the board at the time.
  15. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

4,253 Messages
    908 Likes Received
    A lot of people, including myself, like speculating about the draft all year long. If we waited until we were "on the board t the time" this draft zone would be pretty unnecessary.
    dogberry likes this.
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,043 Messages
    2,135 Likes Received
    True, but, in all reality, there are way too many question marks on this team, particularly on the defensive side of the ball, to have any idea of what the priority will be next year.
  17. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

24,683 Messages
    1,836 Likes Received
    Absolutely.
  18. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

5,194 Messages
    264 Likes Received
    With the first 4 picks next year at this point - in no particular order.
    DL
    LB
    RB
    DB.
    Go with the BPA at the place we pick. Well unless a QB can't pass on him slides to us.
  19. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

1,359 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    BPA regardless of position , even if its an offensive lineman.
    Irvin88_4life likes this.
  20. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

5,194 Messages
    264 Likes Received
    To me unless it's an elite RT - hard sell. Better to trasde down at that spot.
    DFWJC likes this.