1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

This could ruin the game forever

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Sep 5, 2013.

1. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

3,498 Messages
    1,615 Likes Received
    I don't need to study it. Most Americans think their society is over litigious. And I think they are right. But this is getting off topic, so I won't persue it any farther.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

36,300 Messages
    2,716 Likes Received
    Your choice.
  3. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

7,492 Messages
    2,725 Likes Received
    I know they have lawsuits as well, most are ridiculous ones. At some point, people have to use their common sense and decide if the career they want is worth it.

If I was a cop and got shot on the job, I would not blame anyone other than the suspect. I knew the risks going in and getting shot was a very real possibility. Same situation for a firefighter, there is a good chance you can die while fighting a blaze.

Also, there is a difference playing a football game and injuring a knee, ankle, shoulder, concussion etc. compared to taking a bullet in the head or burning to a crisp in a fire. In most cases, the football player can continue life normally.

There is an old saying....with risk comes reward. If they want to make a lot of money and become famous by playing football, don't blame anyone other than themselves if they get injured. It comes with the territory in regards to football because no one is ever under the illusion that it is a safe game.

I am all for making the game safer without reducing it to a sport it isn't.
  4. Gadfly22

Gadfly22 Active Member

635 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    Like others arguing about the "choice" to play a dangerous sport, you are missing the point. The players know that football is a dangerous sport. But some of the dangers -- like the long-term effects of even small concussions -- are just coming to light now. That changes the situation for the players -- who are now subject to a risk that they didn't know about when they signed their contracts -- and for the NFL, which has an obligation to take reasonable steps to minimize known risks.

And people are whining about how those "reasonable steps" might impair their enjoyment of the game while they sit on their couches, while its the players who have to deal with the very real possibility of severe brain damage from a series of seemingly routine hits to the head.

Frankly, the DH didn't destroy baseball. The 3-point shot hasn't obliterated basketball. The drop kick is gone from football, and the game even absorbed something as revolutionary as the forward pass. And instant replay. I think higher tech helmets and maybe some possible delays and timeouts for player safety won't wreck the NFL.
  5. dexternjack

7,492 Messages
    2,725 Likes Received
    I didn't realize concussions were only a recent problem. I could have sworn they have been around since mankind. I guess it was a dream I had 30 years ago that banging heads repeatedly would have no consequences. In 1986, while playing in HS, coaches told us over and over to avoid using our crowns because we could get concussed. They preached safety way back then too. I guess I was the lucky one to be taught to protect our heads and neck.

Comparing the DH and 3-point shot isn't even in the same conversation. Those were put in for increased fan excitement and not even related to safety.

I am not missing the point. Repetitive concussions are dangerous, I see that and agree that every step should be taken to help prevent further damage. But when does it stop? At new helmets? At no tackling when running full speed? At implementing flags? When?

This is just another step in the direction of ruining this sport forever. Football will never be a safe sport(as is) and nothing short of flag-football will satisfy. If they do go to no tackling, we will still see blown out knees and ankles. What new rule will be implemented then? After all, our bodies are not made to endure that kind of extended strain.

In ending, to say the past players had no idea that many helmet-to-helmet crashes was dangerous is ignorant. They knew it, we knew it, everyone knew it.
    ohiocowboysfan25 likes this.
  6. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,915 Messages
    928 Likes Received

It's called accountability. The world is sorely lacking in this department.

We blame others.

Make new laws.

We sue.

Ridiculous, IMO.
    Titleist likes this.
  7. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,839 Messages
    480 Likes Received
    Up here waivers are completely valid and are often complete defences to the claims.
  8. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

3,120 Messages
    2,170 Likes Received
    I can see that being a bigger deterrent than complaints of powder puffing a violent sport.
    The potential for too many slow-downs during a game looms large.
  9. Gadfly22

Gadfly22 Active Member

635 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    People knew serious collisions causing concussions were dangerous. The new information concerns asymptomatic subconcussive hits to the head. The science is fairly new and not undisputed regarding only hits to the head as causing chronic traumatic encephalopathy. But the NFL -- as an enterprise in the business of unavoidable hits to the head -- can't afford to ignore the potential risks. I've included a link to help you educate yourself. I hope reading it doesn't inconvenience you or reduce your enjoyment of the internet.

http://www.bu.edu/cste/about/what-is-cte/
  10. Gadfly22

Gadfly22 Active Member

635 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    http://canadian-lawyers.ca/Understa...al-Injury/Recreational-Liability-Waivers.html

I think you may not know as much Canadian law as you think. Take special note of the second paragraph:

"The reality is that many of the waivers proffered by organized recreational and athletic activity providers would not be enforced by Ontario courts. These courts have a history of approaching waivers with great caution."
  11. dallasfan4lizife

dallasfan4lizife Well-Known Member

2,849 Messages
    368 Likes Received
    America...where you can get sued for anything.
  12. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,872 Messages
    2,093 Likes Received
    Nobody is saying that concussions are 'new.' But the information with regards to the severity of concussions and in particular...the permanent damage that they cause well down the road, even on a 'mild concussion' has recently come to light. They are now showing a connection between concussions and ALS. They didn't show that back in 1986.

Back in the 80's and before, they often did *not* call it a 'concussion.' They would just say that you would get 'knocked silly.' I remember watching a USFL game where Brian Sipe got a concussion and they had him on the sideline breathing into a paper bag. After halftime...he was back out on the field. The announcers said that he got knocked silly with a concussion and blew it off like no big deal.

Quite frankly, people were more worried about tearing their ACL back in the 80's than a concussion because an ACL tear could ruin their entire career. All the while that they were neglecting that a concussion could ruin somebody's life.

I don't agree with the sensors in the helmets because I don't see how they could work accurately. That type of technology is extremely sensitive and I just don't buy into it being able to take the hits that are delivered on every play.

YR
  13. dexternjack

7,492 Messages
    2,725 Likes Received
    I like how you try and include low-profile jabs at some of us in your responses. I read the article but did not need more education on the subject. The wife and I have medical backgrounds and I suspect we know more than you do in that regards.

I never once said that this was something that doesn't need addressed. This is about people and their choices and knowing the consequences. Yes, new technology arises everyday that leads to new causation's. What if 10 years from now they learn that running too much is a direct correlation to chronic plantar fasciitis and can not walk normal for the rest of their lives? Is this group of players going to sue them?

Point is....we are always going to learn new things from research. There might be a hazard in everything we do in our daily lives, just maybe.

The article even states that this has been known in boxer's since the 1920's. You can't tell me researchers never, ever thought this could not relate to any other sport. They knew full well that football players could have been susceptible to CTE also. Why wasn't it addressed properly? Probably because the NFL is a cash cow and was avoiding it. Well, it came back to bite them in the rear.

I don't know why personal injury clauses were not written into contracts, wish I knew why not.

I firmly believe that players knew the dangers of the sport but that drive to have money, cars, women, houses, etc overruled their cognitive thinking. Now they want to blame someone and cash in.

If a player does not want to risk playing a violent sport, then choose something different. No one is holding a gun to their head. There will always be another hazard lurking around the corner and use their common sense.
  14. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,841 Messages
    5,133 Likes Received
    and without testing no what they have now is what they have, they are constantly doing research on new equipment but the human body is not built for football and no matter what equipment you put in place players will run a certain risk. NFL is not out abusing players they spend a lot of money on player safety and they institute rules for player safety to the point many fans have turned on the NFL. There is so much you can do but ultimately a player must understand the inherit risk of playing this game and if they do not want to run that risk then go get a fricken job.
  15. Doomsday101

80,841 Messages
    5,133 Likes Received
    This is too funny, hell NFL has to tell guys to wear certain pads yet some players don't like it.
  16. Gadfly22

Gadfly22 Active Member

635 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    And, as I keep pointing out to you -- as I know a bit more about the law than you -- personal choice by an employee doesn't necessarily absolve an employer (like the NFL) from taking new potential risks into account and attempting to deal with them. So the NFL has legal issues (aside from any moral ones) that it must deal with.

I have no idea if injury-sensing helmets will work as intended. But potential brain injury -- more so than injuries to joints or muscles -- presents serious quality of life issues, and the NFL is right to take whatever steps might protect players from those type of injuries. And fans who whine about their enjoyment of a violent sport being impaired because of extra steps taken to protect players should - in my personal opinion -- be ashamed of themselves.
    CowboyGil likes this.
  17. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,586 Messages
    1,554 Likes Received
    Interesting. And by interesting, I mean ridiculously stupid.
  18. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,526 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    Very well put.
  19. Gadfly22

Gadfly22 Active Member

635 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    And what if no one understands the inherent risks in football? What if the emerging science shows that the kinds of routine hits that NFL players absorb -- asymptomatic subconcussive hits to the head -- present a new risk unrecognized before? Because that potential result is out there. Should the NFL be put out of business because no one can validly consent to risks they don't understand? I think the preferable alternative is to be cautious and try to find solutions that minimize risks to the players, even if that means rule and equipment changes.
  20. Doomsday101

80,841 Messages
    5,133 Likes Received
    what if? If there is a way then I'm sure the NFL will but the fact remains there is no way to prevent it, hell soccer players get concussion it happens. It is sports they are paid damn good money to do this, they do no have to do it. You don't seem to get that, no one is forced to play the game. NFL has gone above and beyond on player safety with rules and equipment there is still a lot of research being done and NFL donated the most ever in the research of head injuries at a tune of 30 million dollar. NFL had done right by players but if they choose to play they need to understand there is still a risk and always will be a risk. If the game changes too much then they loose fans and players lose jobs.
    tantrix1969 and dexternjack like this.