1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

This invention will revolutionize sports....

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I hope not. What good would it do? I can't imagine watching that video from the side of a football as it spirals through the air. At best you could get it in the nose of the football but you'd need it in both and again, you'd nearly get sick from spinning at 600 rpm.

You'd have to find a way to make the camera still while the ball traveled without changing the composition of the ball at all.

It'd be a waste if ever there was one.
  3. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,894 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    I'm just envisioning other sports. Tennis, table tennis, soccer and basketball would likely make one rather ill. Golf, on the other hand would be great, if only to locate those lost balls.;)
  4. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    lol which sport? do you think about things before you go off and make these proclamations?
  5. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    People tell me I'm doing nothing.

I say, no way, man, I'm spinning around at 1,000 MPH on Earth's solar day....
  6. Cowboy Brian

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    It doesnt seem like it would be hard for a basketball to be made out of what they have.
  7. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Looks like the technology they use for the cars that drive around for google maps....only they're throwing it in the air.

I don't see much need for it in football, that's for sure....but then again, football gets lamer every year, so who knows.
  8. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,206 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    maybe a knuckleball pitcher can use one
  9. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Nobody in this thread seems to grasp that they would probably just use the stills. Of course they're not going to stream video of a football spiraling.
  10. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,206 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    I think everybody in this thread grasps that they're not going to have holes for cameras in baseballs, footballs, basketballs. It would be cool to see stills on pass plays though, or a baseball looking down at the plate 5 inches outside but called a strike.
  11. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,866 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    I thought they were referring to drunk frat house sports .. :D :D

#reality
  12. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Dude, I don't even think they WATCHED the video. hahaha.
  13. Alumni2k11

Alumni2k11 Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)

1,050 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I saw this earlier. Interesting. My first thought was seeing this on a baseball that is hit for a home run. Assuming the technical devices would survive the hit of course. Not to mention, being much much smaller.
  14. Cowboy Brian

11,917 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Exactly. That's what I meant. It potentially could be awesome.
  15. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    What good would a still camera in the football provide when they can already zoom inside someone's nose with the cameras they currently have?

It'd basically be the camera they have on the wires zooming around taking still shots........except, no wires!!!!!!

And, you'd have to take so many still shots to isolate a single frame worth using that the guy who's job it is to find the good pictures would probably go nuts and shoot up the production truck.
  16. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    A view from the football's perspective.... You don't get that with the camera. It simply watches the ball. The football view would be cool in my opinion.

No, it's not. I can't see the comparison at all. Did you watch the video? Are you imagining the football being thrown?

Technology would make this cake walk, though.
  17. rkell87

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    OMG are you people really giving credence to the possibility of PUTTING HOLES IN BALLS FOR CAMERAS!

Adding extra weight to the ball. Affecting the way the ball spirals/bounces/rolls. Basically the whole dynamic of the ball changing?

I'm in the twilight zone
  18. CowboyMcCoy

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    A microcamera in the seems would perhaps be feasible.
  19. Hoofbite

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    It might be cool to some extent but it won't revolutionize anything.

The referee cam was cool when it first was in play. Do they even have that anymore and was that even the NFL or was it the lone season of XFL?

My point was they can put that camera anywhere they want and get any angle of shot they want. Not the ball angle but enough angles to cover just about everything and get pictures close enough to give you a pretty good substitution.

Probably would if it was 15 years down the line. But I still think it would be time intensive to the guy running it.

I mean, you'd have to have a crazy amount of frames per second and if the computer returns a few hundred frames that all meet it's specified criteria, someone will still have to look through to pick one out.

The whole thing just doesn't seem to be worth the added benefit of a still picture. If it were video, it might be worth the time but a still frame......dunno.

Maybe they could rotate each picture by the number of degrees the ball rotated to produce a video.
  20. rkell87

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    possibly but that is nothing like the ball cameras in the video.

I also do not see the benefit at all, and fail to see anyway that it could "revolutionize" sports