1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

This is Funny and Scary at the Same Time

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Hostile, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,710 Messages
    2,384 Likes Received
    I have a sister-in-law whose father is a 90 year old rancher. Not former rancher, rancher. He still gets up and works every single day.

He is a very good man, but he is kind of no nonsense. He will tell you exactly what he thinks even if it hurts your feelings. If he doesn't like your clothes, he will tell you. If he thinks something is stupid he will say so. In other words he is not too afraid to say exactly what he thinks even if it causes an uproar.

He is also a staunch conservative Republican.

Apparently that is exactly what happened last week. He answered the phone and it was a political survey. Several of the questions had to do with President Obama. Let me just say that he was less than kind about the President. I don't want to go into specifics because it might offend someone.

The next day twp Secret Service Agents knocked on his door and he was questioned at length for a couple of hours before they determined that this 90 year old man was no threat to the President. He just doesn't like him.

Be careful how you answer surveys.
  2. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Did he make threats or just voice his displeasure with Obama? It would be a sad day if the SS is investigating people just because the believe Obama is an ***.
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I like him already.

That's ****ing despicable.
  4. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed on both counts.
  5. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,991 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    I am not surprised.

I have heard some scary things.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,738 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received
    Can't ever happen in America. That's not what this administration is about.

It's amazing to me how things happen and people seem to look the other way. One day you wake up and before you know it, your living in a brave new world but it can't happen to us. That's not what this is all about.

The worm has turned.
  7. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Thats just like my grandfather. He is 90 and has had Ephazma for 10 years, yet he still ranches and mows every single acre of his land with a tractor, builds / re-builds fences and porches.

He is a no nonsense guy too, but he is a very hard man and not very nice one at that. I know nothing of his political status, (if he even has one) but I'm sure he doesn't like Obama. No need to even ask that.

I saw him about a month ago when I was in Dallas to see my other grandfather (much better man) before he passed away. It was the first time I have seen him in 16 years. It took my dad some serious arm twisting to get me to go.
  8. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,710 Messages
    2,384 Likes Received
    What he said was interpreted as a threat. I am not sure his exact words, but I am told he was asked what he thought of President Obama, and he replied in some version that he wished Obama would die. He did not say he'd like to kill him or anything like that. It's kind of hard for me to fathom them needing 2 hours to question a 90 year old man as to whether he was a serious threat to the President. He hasn't left his home town to drive more than 30 miles in 5 years.

Like I said, he minces no words.
  9. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,032 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    If you think this hasn't been happening for a while now, you have not been paying attention.

Not to mention that there are always some real dangers out there, and the Secret Service, by definition, is manned by paranoids....
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,184 Messages
    1,151 Likes Received
    Maybe SS just hung out with him for 2 hours. They have their formal questions that they have to ask, but that doesn't mean they spent the whole 2 hours grilling him. Maybe they all sat around for 2 hours drinking coffee or whiskey.

I am pretty sure that when you use terms like "I wish he was dead" that it is going to raise some flags. It may just be standard operating procedure that they have to do some sort of follow up. It doesn't matter who is in office, either. I am sure the same things happened when Bush, Clinton, the elder Bush and so on and so on were in office. I remember stories of people being arrested at Bush rallies wearing t-shirts with a line through the W and stories about people being arrested at Clinton rallies while he was in office. It happens.

It sounds silly and in this specific case it really is silly, but their job is to protect the president. Unless they do some sort of follow up how are they supposed to tell which ones are non threats and which ones may be actual threats.
  11. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Good thing Obama does not allow water boarding. I will not be the least surprised if the SS starts visiting people for what they write on the internet. I remember Google was complicit with the Chinese during the crack down before the Olympics. We know how tight Obama and google are.
  12. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You 100% sure he didn't say something that involved killing him? I mean, I don't want to suggest he would mean it. But my Granny is 96. Some of the stuff she says would have been generally accept 50 years ago. But today seems downright racist and really dangerous if she wasn't overall a sweet sweet lady.
  13. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,970 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Well there's being honest and there's that, I wonder (but doubt) if it was overheard on the phone line or whether he was "reported" by the people taking surveys.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

34,738 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received
    Perhaps, but let me just point out that their were no shortage of people who wished death on GW on a daily basis. If you think that their feet were held to the fire, OK. That's fine but I did not see it.

This man did not make a threat. He was called in his own home and asked what his opinion was. If he said, "I wish he would die.", does it not seem odd that the SS would show up on his door step?
  15. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,032 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Apparantly you missed some of the shenanigans with government detractors getting on the 'no fly' list. And I have heard of people who publicly voiced certain statements getting a visit from the SS twenty years ago.

I don't disagree that it's a little worrisome, but this sort of thing has gone on for quite a while now. With modern methods of intelligence gathering, it can be done so much more easilly. It's also easier to have something mis-reported as a threat.

Also, I do agree that the SS probably knew within ten or twenty minutes that this was a wild goose chase, but they had to pad their time numbers for the accountants. I can easilly imagine the rancher in question to be a pretty entertaining guy to interview as well.
  16. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You are 100% sure of that? You checked the transcript and that's all that said.?

Jeez, again. He's from a few generations ago. Stuff that is said might not seem like a big deal to him, and a lot of others. But if you took away the face and the voice and only looked at the words. You might read something that gets this type of reaction.
  17. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,879 Messages
    4,223 Likes Received
    I remember the Secret Service came to our town and not only visited with a local, but took the local away for a few days for questioning before letting him go.

This guy was a Doctor that sent a pretty salty letter to the President and apparently the SS took it very serious.

This was when W was president.

Either way, the Secret Service has a job to do and with Ronny getting shot some years ago, with abortion Drs getting killed, with other political situations leading to murder and bombings over the years...I would rather the Secret Service be a little paranoid.

I would also say that it is not wise to send nasty gram letters (with possibly threats) or take surveys and wish death on someone like the POTUS and expect not to get questioned on it...if they did not question, they would not be doing their jobs.

Stupid is and Stupid does IMO.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

34,738 Messages
    1,661 Likes Received
    So, are you saying that because he's old, he probably said something other then what has been outlined in this thread?

I'm basing this off what Hos has reported. I have never known Hos to tell less then the truth so I am inclinded to believe what he has posted. Could he be in error? Sure, that's always a possability for anyone but it is my opinion that what has been relayed is probably more accurate then not.

You can say that I'm believing what I want to believe, hearing what I want to hear. It's your judgement to make.

I have no reason not to believe Hos. I guess it's a matter of perspective. I see things that you are not seeing.
  19. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Its an ugly world out there. That's for sure. Its a world where another old man with a criminal past walked into the holocaust museum downtown and opened fire. I'm sure they would have loved to have stopped him, and not hassled this other gentleman. But, when you have 300 million people. You follow your leads. I am guessing he wasn't arrested, and never had a criminal past either. So, no harm. No foul.
  20. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,012 Messages
    18 Likes Received
    Yeah, you always hear of 1 or 2 of these stories on national news every year or so no matter who was president. Usually they get on the news because it was either a kid or someone's little old grandma or something. No telling how many times it actually happens. If you just google "Bush threat secret service", you'll find a bunch of similar incidents, including one involving rapper Eminem.

So yeah, other people did have their feet held to the fire.

Bottom line: don't be dumb enough to say something like that out loud in public.