1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

This is Funny and Scary at the Same Time

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Hostile, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I'm saying that older folks have a knack for saying things that aren't socially acceptable a lot more than younger folks. I used my own grandmother as an example.

How easily can "I wish he was dead" turn into "I wish somebody would kill him"?

I am not doubting Hos at all. He's been an awesome Mod and poster. I'm just saying that phrasing and tense can change a meaning quickly and he probably said something that on paper looks very dangerous.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    How sure are you that what you outline has occured? They call you up and ask for your opinion. He didn't seek a venu from which to pulpit. I wish he was dead or I wish somebody would kill him are not different to me. You make a distinction between, wishing somebody dropped dead as opposed to wishing somebody would kill him?

No. I don't see it.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    The best part is that I'm sure this guy that already wishes the President would drop dead is now absolutely convinced Obama is out to get him. Getting a visit from the SS probably didn't ease his dislike for the man.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    That's probably true Count.
  5. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,953 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    I would think the SS will still act on questionable letters sent to W even now that he is out of office. That goes for the other former presidents as well. It doesn't always make it right, but they have done it in the past and will continue to do it.
  6. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You've never heard somebody say "I hope somebody gives him "his""? I don't think an old man was visited for nothing. By MISTAKE he PROBABLY said something that again, looked worse than it was. That's it. Even in retelling the story, he probably didn't remember the exact phrasing of what he said.
  7. joseephuss

21,953 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    We don't know what was really said. At least not 100% word for word. I trust Hos, but he heard the story after the fact. It is possible something in the story was changed before they told him. It is the whole purple elephants thing. You whisper something in one persons ear, they turn and repeat it in the next ear and so on and when you get to the end the story is slightly altered.

Or maybe it is just much simpler than that. Maybe they just check on all people that use the words dead and president in the same sentence. This means I will now get a visit from the SS and so will others on this board.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I think we've been over this. I see something you clearly do not.

This doesn't seem hard.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Maybe. The fact of the matter is that he did not go out and call somebody to declare this. They called him and he gave his opinion. I can't see how that is wrong.
  10. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I lived down the street from Nixon in Saddle River NJ. They shut down the entire block when some nut job tried to break into his house. Turned out he was just a common punk and had no idea who's house he was trying to break into. By the way Nixon was an excellent neighbor. Never saw or heard a peep from his place.
  11. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,728 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    The message is be nice to the telemarketers. They may have connections.
  12. joseephuss

21,953 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    I agree. Like I said, I don't think what the SS did in this specific case is right, but they have done similar things in the past. It is not something new or unheard of.
  13. Wheat

Wheat Philosopher

2,924 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed.

We don't know what he said. They felt it was dangerous. They checked it out.

Done and Done.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I guess we will see.
  15. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,293 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    Yes, people taking political surveys may indeed have political connections. Crazy, right?
  16. joseephuss

21,953 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Indeed we shall. In fact I ratted you out, so you should be getting a visit pretty soon. Let us all know how it goes. :p:
  17. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Not a problem. If they want to know what I think of this administration, they better have way more then two hours to kill.
  18. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I bet this type of stuff happens all the time, under any administration.
  19. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    When i was in college a Waco Homicide Detective, a Texas Ranger and a Secret Service detective all called me on the same day.

An acquaintance of mine had a fight with his melodramatic girlfriend who called the police on him, they searched his computer on account of what I guess amounted to email "harassment" because the verbal spat was on-line.

Anyhow on his desktop they found a "Hit list" which was obviously either a joke or a sarcastic way of venting because on this list was:

Brad Pitt, his girlfriend, President Bush, myself and a couple of other people and celebrities in the news.

Given Baylor University's proximity to Crawford and President Bush's regular presence in the region and on campus this was not taken lightly and the subsequent investigation launched by law enforcement.

Its semi-humorous as what assassin would assemble a hit list that consisted of the President and then proceeded to me-- still i was a little alarmed that a guy i barely knew had designated me to a hit list, private joke or otherwise.
  20. joseephuss

21,953 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Most assassins are not stable minded, so it would not be surprising that any hit list they would generate would seem rather humorous in a dark, weird way.