1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

This quote about Jeff Ireland surprised me

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Randy White, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,094 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    This quote surprised me because there was alot of support for Jeff when he was with the Cowboys.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/10/27/2473771/former-miami-dolphin-never-at.html#ixzz1c3MfIRlz

I wonder how much truth there is in that statement ? I mean, he's done a near horrendous job down here with the Dullphins, unlike his tenure in Dallas, so did the Cowboys scouts " covered up " alot of his possible mistakes ?
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,872 Messages
    854 Likes Received
    Or maybe, just maybe, the Jerry Jones support line and team aren't as bad as many fans projected over the past ten years as well. He actually circles wagons when enemy approaches, and does so with haste and direction.
  3. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,094 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Oh, come on now.. stop being such a homer and posting such common sense stuff.. You're ruining alot of people's agendas.
  4. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,361 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    You never know what kind of support system he has there. He might be restricted to what kind of moves he can make, like a puppet GM. Wasn't it discovered that the, real mastermind here was Tom Ciskowski anyway?
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,249 Messages
    1,978 Likes Received
    I dunno why Crowder would criticize Jeff.

I guess because he hired Sparano?

Or maybe because the team cut Crowder and he's out of a job?

Just saw something where Sparano sold his house just recently.
  6. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,061 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Big Bill wasnt help either down there IMHO

Took another owners money for retirement.

Sorry ........just not a fan of Bill
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    well of course his successes mean nothing.

He got the Dolphins back to the playoffs; in the greatest one year turn around in NFL history. Now clearly some mistakes were made; and not having a good QB really makes a huge difference. Had the fins had a Decent QB, say a BLedsoe that was with BUffalo, and the one we had early here, there record would not be nearly as bad. ANd they had some bad luck with injuries as well.

Now it does seem clear that Ireland was not as good as thought; but TC has blown a few here as well.
  8. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    That's crazy talk CC !!!
  9. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,320 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    Bill was great at getting the most out of mediocre players, he would take average players and coach them up into a wildcard team. His change in philosophy when he's first hired gives the team a new energy and so the team responds likewise.

In Dallas with Q Carter and in Miami the first year were his best year on those teams, after that the teams went down hill.
  10. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,921 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    he didn't make the final say here, where I guess in Miami he does. I don't think he's done a horrendous job. Miami is 0-6, not because they have no talent, it because they have no QB and the coach has no authority after the owner tried to replace him with Harbaugh.

He's done great with drafting defensive players except Vontae Davis. Really well with the D-Line. Trading for Brandon Marshall was a mistake, but it was a mistake several other teams would've done, especially for 2 #2s.

If they were to somehow get Andrew Luck and maybe another WR, I could see them going 8-8 or so the next year and ofcourse everyone would say how great Luck is, when actuality the team isn't devoid of talent like their record indicates
  11. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Bingo.

Also, Ireland needs time to build. Miami was a mess.
  12. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

2,958 Messages
    263 Likes Received
    He always reminded me of a smug dbag.
  13. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,769 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    Ireland seemed to curry favor with Parcells when he was right about Jacob Rogers and spoke up about it. Still, Ireland was big on Stanback and it goes to show that he wasn't above having 'pet cats.'

I agree, Ireland needs more time to rebuild. They were far worse than they are now when they took over. They just kinda got some things to work for them the 1st year and then everybody had these expectations despite being just removed from a 1-15 season.

YR
  14. JIGGYFLY

JIGGYFLY Active Member

1,360 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Miami has missed on just about every 2nd and 3rd round pick since Ireland has been there.

There is less than 50% of the players drafted since he got there still on the roster.

He has been terrible as a GM this a quick turnaround league and the team has gotten progressively worst not better, so why would you give him more time to build?
  15. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,134 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received
    Nice to know that other team's players are understanding how good Dez is.
  16. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Crowder likes Sparano. He said as much in the article. He said he just can't do it alone. Said that Jeff won't put a useful team on the field.
  17. Boom

Boom Just Dez It

892 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I'm shocked Ireland didn't draft him, after his interview with Dez went so well.
  18. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,134 Messages
    1,390 Likes Received

He wanted to draft Dez but it just didn't work out.

However, I think he did hire Dez's mom after the draft.
  19. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,702 Messages
    2,448 Likes Received
    It's been obvious that he doesn't know what he's doing from the way he picked up so many of our lousy scraps, signed these guys like Marshall and Reggie Bush, and drafted so horribly. The guy nailed it when he said he only got that job because he sucked up to Bill the most here.

And to think, I still remember a post or two from people saying they were going to root for the Dolphins to make Jerry look stupid for letting these people go.
  20. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    And just how good in the last 4 years have out 2nd and 3rd rd picks been? Not a whole lot better. And Dez is the only 1st we have taken that MIGHT be as good at his position that Jake Long is at his.