1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

This years Safety class...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by shmee, Apr 2, 2010.

1. shmee

shmee Member

128 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    In years past, I was on top of the draft studying players and positions like my opinion mattered to the team, but this year I'm way out of the loop. I was hoping the boys would draft a safety in the 1st or 2nd, and now with Hamlin gone it's almost a given we'll be looking...

So my question is, wht are our options in the draft? Berry is out, the kid from Texas will be gone, Taylor mays is a roy Williams clone IMO, and that's about all I know from the safety class... What do u guys think??
  2. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,454 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    IMO it's guaranteed one of these guys will be Cowboys:

Earl Thomas, Nate Allen and Morgan Burnett
  3. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,909 Messages
    91 Likes Received
  4. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,758 Messages
    1,859 Likes Received
    With the 27 pick Dallas selects Nate Allen
  5. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,959 Messages
    22 Likes Received

Yep, I agree and that's why I picked McCourty in my mock. Earl Thomas won't make it to #27 and the other safeties aren't worth the pick IMO.
  6. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,959 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    double posted...slow server?
  7. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    We'll probably be drafting a SS type if we do draft a S at all. I think Mike Hamlin is the guy at FS.
  8. Four

Four New Member

2,601 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    honestly, taylor mays is so much faster than roy he might could play.
  9. shmee

shmee Member

128 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    On paper he is fast but he doesn't play that way, I heard after his pro day that he blamed his lack of production on the defensive scheme, might be true but I'm not looking for excuses. He's a big hitter who excels in the box. I don't think we need that.
  10. shmee

shmee Member

128 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    iPhone
  11. shmee

shmee Member

128 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I know Thomas will be gone, I wouldn't mind if we traded up, but Allen and Burnett, I could only find stats and a couple YouTube clips. I liked that both had alot of interceptions, Allen looked to be smart and a leader.
  12. miamicowboy21

miamicowboy21 Active Member

2,836 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Kid is a flat baller. I'd be estatic with that. OL should be top priority though.
  13. TheSport78

8,454 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    I think one thing that was a deciding factor in today's moves was that this draft is pretty deep at safety and offensive line. I think Dallas goes safety earlier than OL.
  14. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,346 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    I dont think it is very far fetched to see Earl Thomas fall into the early 20s..at that point it is realistic to think dallas could move up to snag him
  15. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Everyone talkes about S as if it's one position, but really it's two: SS and FS. Hamlin was a FS that now needs to be replaced. Dallas already has its hard-hitting, good-against-the-run, SS in place; that's Gerald Sensabeaugh.

So Dallas needs to draft a FS who can predominatly excel at covering in the intermediate and deep zones. And while we're all debating who might be hte best FS draft prospects out there, let's not forget about CB prospects who can make the transition to FS because of their zone-coverage skills.
  16. shmee

shmee Member

128 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I'd probably suck as a GM because I would hate to draft OL with the top picks. It's not sexy....I want a skill position. We have sucess in the later rounds and in FA. I hope we draft S higher than OL.
  17. TheSport78

8,454 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    OL is such a big hit or miss in the early rounds, and we've seen the likes of Jacob Rogers and James Marten in recent years. I really see us trading down and taking a couple of OL early and hope they pan out. I do hope we take S higher than OL as well. I'd love Nate Allen, Rodger Saffold and Devon McCourty!
  18. shmee

shmee Member

128 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Exactly
  19. shmee

shmee Member

128 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Brewster is almost like a 2010 draft pick, I wouldn't mind another in the 3rd or so. Corner help and WR would be my 1st-3rd along w S. I might have a crush that might not be the best choice, but I would love Jordan Shipley in the 2nd, steal in the 3rd.
  20. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Morgan Burnett