1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Those Brilliant Patriots

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Randy White, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,108 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    For all the talk from media members and even some in here of how exceptional the Patriots are, how they manipulate the draft every year, how they are light years ahead of everybody else in draft issues, blah blah blah, they had 6 picks in the first 3 rounds, including 3 picks in the top 33, yet exactly what did they get ? Yes, they moved down from #28 to #56 for a future #1, which would most likely be in the late 20s, barring a disaster by New Orleans. Great move, typical of what they've been doing the past few years, but, quoting the old Wendy's commercial: " where's the beef ? "

1st rnd ( #17 ): OT, Nate Solder - No thanks. Should have checked their own backyard first and pick the guy that played there and was available. Canstonzo is better than Solder.

2nd rnd ( #33 ): CB, Ras-I Dowling - Like the pick alot. Arguably a few slots too early, but good value overall.

2nd rnd ( #56 ): RB, Shane Vereen - Really ? A RB in the 2nd round ? THIS particular guy in the 2nd round ? for my current team ?

3rd rnd ( #73 ): RB, Stevan Ridley - " My nickname is Hoody and I have a RB fetish ". I have 4 picks in the top 73 and I'm drafting not one, but TWO running backs. Nevermind that half my O-line is over 30 years old and I don't have a pass rusher that's worth a damn.

If Jerry Jones dared to do this exact same thing, in the same situation, this place would have to be shut down for good because it would overload however many servers it has.

3rd rnd ( #74 ) QB, Ryan Mallett - Ok, not a bad gamble at this point. I mean, the other picks are pretty stupid, but this one has potential. If he doesn't work out, cut his butt and it would only have cost a 3rd rnd pick. No big deal. If he gets his head straight, Hoody could squeeze a future #1 pick from somebody..

then again, that pick would probably be traded for another pick beyond that future, which would, then, probably turn out to be another running back.

What's the use of having so many wonderful picks if that's what they're going to be spent on ?
  2. bsheeern

bsheeern Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    :fact::fact::fact::fact:
  3. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,145 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    Obviously, the Patriots don't think so, and given their track record, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Solder has to potential to turn out much better than Castonzo.
  4. Randy White

6,108 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Have you seen him play at Colorado ?
  5. gimmesix

9,145 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    And there's video out there of Costanzo being abused, so what's it prove?

I'm not going to knock anyone's draft before it has a chance to pan out.

Who would have thought all those years ago that their sixth-round quarterback would turn out to be one of the best in the league?
  6. Randy White

6,108 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Great attitude. I'm envious.

You must be one of the very few Cowboys' fans who wait to be critical of their drafts until given the proper time. I don't have the patience.
  7. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,716 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I heard a report on the radio today that Solder was higher on Indy's draft board too. No way of knowing if that report is accurate, but let's just say that not everyone is quite so certain about Canstonzo being the better pick. When the Pats drafted Mankins, he was seen as a 3rd rounder or even a possible Day 2 selection (back when day 2 meant round 4) and the Pats were reaching by taking him in the first round. I think that turned out well for them.

The only thing about the Patriots that cracks me up is Bill Belichick's pathological desire to have 2 1st round picks in every single draft. The reason why I think it is pathological is because he never uses them. He just can't sleep at night unless he knows those picks are there! :D
  8. Randy White

6,108 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    They're his teddy bear.. :D

On a semi-serious note, I find their first couple of days worth of work very puzzling. They could have done some serious damage to the league with those picks. There was alot of talent that fell towards their part of the draft and to only come out with Dowling is questionable.

I've been watching Solder for years now, being a Husker fan. I wouldn't have picked him in the 2nd round, but to each his own. They're going to have to put some serious hours on him to develop him.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,737 Messages
    2,407 Likes Received
    I think the Browns did a lot better than the Patriots.
  10. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,397 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    He will eventually. Maybe for Luck next year. One thing is for sure, the guy ALWAYS has the ammo to grab any single player they want in any given draft.
  11. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,397 Messages
    391 Likes Received

The Browns knocked it out of the park this year. Over the next couple of seasons they are going to load up. Holmgren is definitely building for the future in Cleveland.
  12. Randy White

6,108 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    And those Steelers. Talk about how to properly use the draft while picking late in it. They have this annoying habit of getting the best player available while filling needs that's irritating. Heyward wasn't enough, they just had to get Gibert with the 63rd pick as well.

And you know that he's going to turn into a pro bowler somehow..
  13. gimmesix

9,145 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    I've just learned the hard way over time not to make snap judgments.

I've seen too many players people considered great "steals" like Pat Watkins be way overvalued by the message board community and so-called draft experts. (I didn't buy that one ... I liked Antoine Bethea.)

And I've seen players turn out to be way undervalued. So I've learned there's no need to be rash.

Doesn't mean I like every pick, just that I'm willing to wait and see.
  14. Randy White

6,108 Messages
    39 Likes Received

You just like to take the fun out of it. Come on, stop being so old school and rational. Go out on a limb... have some fun.. be critical.. Go TMZ for a while..
  15. gimmesix

9,145 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    Being rational doesn't mean I'm not critical. I definitely would have preferred Will Rackley over DeMarco Murray, and think a potential starting guard is of more use to this team than a situational running back/return man.

I also would have preferred Nick Fairley over Tyson Smith, simply because I think Fairley is a beast.

However, I acknowledge I could be completely wrong and restrain myself from making condemning statements that could come back to incriminate me. It's a character flaw. ;)
  16. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They had quite a run there where only 3 of their picks were starters, and that included a kicker. I want to say it was four full years worth.

Grass is greener and all...
  17. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah and that's exactly what they do. I mean to come on and act like you know more about the draft than the Patriots is pretty freaking ridiculous. They're quite possibly the best drafting team in the NFL, but you know better? Ok. They have time to develop Solder, they get an athletic DB that they have time to develop, two running backs to replace their two old running backs, and freaking Ryan Mallet who will have 3 years to develop. They were a young team that was ahead of schedule rebuilding last year that needed help in the running game and on defense and that's exactly what they got.
  18. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because they got an undersized pass rusher who just got arrested and a guy who was suspended for the season? o_O
  19. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,038 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    They have 4 picks in the first two rounds next season that is very impressive and genius like. Seems like they always find a trading partner though...*raiders*

I wish Dallas had 4 in the first two rounds but their picks weren't amazing but the Pats dont have a ton of holes like Dallas does. The two RB's were puzzling. Dowling was good, Solder was maybe too high, not sure. Then Mallet is their little project, high risk high reward kind of thing. Why not right? Top 2 QB in the league, who better to have as a mentor, other than Peyton. Great coach, great team and staff. Only a real screw up could mess that up...:rolleyes:
  20. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thank you.

Belicheck has a decade's worth of success in New England to go along with 25+ years in pro football. He's been to four Super Bowls in ten years, won three of them. He sports a .720 career winning percentage with the Patriots, in addition, he has a .789 (15-4) in the playoffs.

What does RandyWhite have? A laptop and internet access.